Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-13-2016, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

How to clean up my headlights? They're cloudy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to clean up my headlights? They're cloudy.

My car has been sitting for quite a while. The headlights are the factory 1998 lights that came with it. I was planning on opening them up and doing the Whistler Mod to them, but the plastic is pretty cloudy and nasty.

What do you recommend to clean up the plastic? I've been told to sand the inside and outside and I've been told to use Plast-X.

I own Plast-X, but experience has taught me that it can take forever to buff out just some slight fading/cloudiness, and mine are pretty bad.

Has anyone sanded the inside and outside of their headlight lenses and had it come out nice?

I know I could buy new headlights, but right now the (very small) budget is going towards other things. I'd really like to be able to salvage what I've got.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To clean them up will be a lot of buffing and sanding so if you don't want to do that then just buy another set. Basically what you are going to do is wetsand them down to get all the "crazing" out on the outside. Once you have that done you will have most likely taken off the UV protectant on the lenses so I would suggest clear coating them. This will protect the plastic from being scratched any more from the little particles of dust and such in the air when you drive. Also you can buff them and everything when you do the car since it is paint.

The inside shouldn't be cloudy. It should just be the outside due to them being exposed to the elements. It may look like the inside is clouding from the outside but it shouldn't be.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
To clean them up will be a lot of buffing and sanding so if you don't want to do that then just buy another set. Basically what you are going to do is wetsand them down to get all the "crazing" out on the outside. Once you have that done you will have most likely taken off the UV protectant on the lenses so I would suggest clear coating them. This will protect the plastic from being scratched any more from the little particles of dust and such in the air when you drive. Also you can buff them and everything when you do the car since it is paint.

The inside shouldn't be cloudy. It should just be the outside due to them being exposed to the elements. It may look like the inside is clouding from the outside but it shouldn't be.
Thank you for the response. I will try buffing them out and if that doesn't work I'll try wetsanding them with some high grit sandpaper.

What would you recommend using for the clearcoat exactly? Just rattle can paint? Or something special?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have a pc, try meguirs 105, 205 combo, did that for a friend this weekend and he was pretty satisfied
Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

they sell kits at auto parts stores.. never used them so i dont know if they work
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
My car has been sitting for quite a while. The headlights are the factory 1998 lights that came with it. I was planning on opening them up and doing the Whistler Mod to them, but the plastic is pretty cloudy and nasty.

What do you recommend to clean up the plastic? I've been told to sand the inside and outside and I've been told to use Plast-X.

I own Plast-X, but experience has taught me that it can take forever to buff out just some slight fading/cloudiness, and mine are pretty bad.

Has anyone sanded the inside and outside of their headlight lenses and had it come out nice?

I know I could buy new headlights, but right now the (very small) budget is going towards other things. I'd really like to be able to salvage what I've got.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Wet sanding using one of the kits is a good solution when the lenses are really bad, but you can accomplish the same results on lenses that are pretty far gone with a DA and a cutting pad.

This was done with a DA, a Meg's 7007 pad and Meg's 105

Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

i've used the mother headlamp restore kit and it works. but when i used it on my camaro it kinda cleaned them up but not completely. i would try the kit and if that doesnt work the get new head light, which is what im doing,
Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the response. I will try buffing them out and if that doesn't work I'll try wetsanding them with some high grit sandpaper.

What would you recommend using for the clearcoat exactly? Just rattle can paint? Or something special?
I'm sure you could use a rattle can clearcoat if you don't have a paint gun. But if you do have one then I would suggest using an automotive grade clearcoat. I don't remember the exact one I used so I apologize on that.

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Wet sanding using one of the kits is a good solution when the lenses are really bad, but you can accomplish the same results on lenses that are pretty far gone with a DA and a cutting pad.

This was done with a DA, a Meg's 7007 pad and Meg's 105
That's quite a difference. It's amazing what a little time and effort can do.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I did with mine was wet sand and clear coated them and keep some wax on the head lights and that's been over a year ago I think and they look about the same as when I first did them.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

I tried Plast-x first on mine. It helped, but they were still foggy. Next I tried the 3M kit that uses a power drill as a buffer. That helped more, but wasn't enough on its own. So then I used leftover plast-x with the 3M pad. It looked pretty good so I used some sealer and called it a day. Then they started fogging up again, so I wetsanded them with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 wet/dry paper and followed up with Plast-x and the sealer. Looked great, but not perfect.

Then I started liking the whistler look and said "f*%k it" and bought new whistler depo lights
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

on my shitbox commuter car I used a mixture of something called rotten stone and dish soap. I had both on hand, worked awesome for free. ymmv.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wet sand, MEG105, MEG205, wax
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice guys. I may try to get started on this tonight.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
wet sand, MEG105, MEG205, wax
Pretty much what anyone will say.

Do a google search for Plasti X or head light restore. I have a rotary so for me I have a great too. Many companies came out with a DIY and a elec drill which is basically the same, just cant crank it up.

On a 2003 Honda Civic Recently I put my LC Orange Pad and M105 and cranked it to 4 on my Makhita and it cleared it right up. Just need to keep it protected.

My wife's 2007 HHR has some not as clear as it was new but its taken almost 5 years to see anything. So I will do a quick clean up and keep it waxed.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

If you want to do it fast... wet them, put some ***white toothpaste on a dry towel/cloth and start to rub the surface. It actualy works pretty well. Buddy told me about this and wanted to try it out for ***** and gigs before I went and bought some professional products... ended up not even going out because it worked so well. My headlights weren't horrible though. Try this DIY method and if it doesn't work... you've only wasted enough toothpaste for 1 night and you can always go get the fancy big name stuff !
Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Internet Mechanic

A bottle of SwirlX and a terry cloth by had works great. Not expensive.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did one of the headlights on my Envoy with Plasti X and my Dremel with a polishing pad. Worked pretty good, not perfect but almost matches the newer one.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

It couldn't have gone much worse. It looks like I'll need all new headlights.

The lenses not only did not come clean, they got worse. I'd never seen anything like it and neither had my friend. McGuire's, Plast-X, nothing worked. So we moved onto wetsanding, and it got worse still. Buffing afterward didn't help.

They started off bad, but legal. Now they're so cloudy to the point that light doesn't pass through them.

Then the chrome on the reflectors peeled off when we taped them up for painting. They were in bad shape, but now they're useless. I'm not sure they're salvageable.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

It couldn't have gone much worse. It looks like I'll need all new headlights.

The lenses not only did not come clean, they got worse. I'd never seen anything like it and neither had my friend. McGuire's, Plast-X, nothing worked. So we moved onto wetsanding, and it got worse still. Buffing afterward didn't help.

They started off bad, but legal. Now they're so cloudy to the point that light doesn't pass through them.

Then the chrome on the reflectors peeled off when we taped them up for painting. They were in bad shape, but now they're useless. I'm not sure they're salvageable.

Where in Texas are you ?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Near San Marcos and New Braunfels.

Quick Reply: How to clean up my headlights? They're cloudy.