Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Not Happy With My Morimoto H1 Mini Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks VIP! I believe you are correct, after looking into them, a lot of the ballasts seem to use 9006 connectors to begin with! Here's the kit I ordered:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3959

I selected the 9006 harness, and it comes with a relay harness. So I should be good to go. In the meantime, I'm going to go outside and clean up my housings.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
The twist-tied wires in the middle of that pic look like one side is already a 9006 or 9005 connector. Its probably a female connector since most HID kits have a 9005 or 9006 male connector for the input on the ballast. You can test that by seeing if the car's stock socket fits on the ballast.

The wires in the Camaro's headlight socket are backwards from most other cars so you may have to swap the pins on the car's connector.

Either way, what I'm suggesting is cutting off those bare spade connectors and replacing them a male 9006 connector so that it will plug directly into the car's stock female 9006 socket.

When you do that, you'll need to buy or make a 9006 relayed wire harness. I made my own, but many on here buy pre-made ones.

On second thought, if you buy a 9006 harness, it might plug directly into the ballast so that you won't need that short wire anymore. It depends on how the harness was made.

Looking more closely at that pics... aren't those two small black things in the middle the body of a male 9006 connector? If so, you should have been able to just assemble them on that wire and plug it into the stock socket. Why did you have to trim anything?

Here is a pic of the harness I made (since my projectors are H9, the harness has H9 connectors).

I really need to make my own harnesses from now on. I HATE how most HID kits only plug into one side of your original harness. I always find myself decommissioning an old bulb to cap the other connector.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can be surprised how much light output can be diminished by foggy lenses. My Trailblazer's passenger light is almost perfect but the driver side is a little yellow and foggy. It doesn't look that bad, but the light output difference is noticeable.

I have Morimoto 35W 5000k HIDs and Xentec 35W 5000k HIDs on the Camaro (lows and highs) and the output and color difference is quite apparent.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Black96z28
I really need to make my own harnesses from now on. I HATE how most HID kits only plug into one side of your original harness. I always find myself decommissioning an old bulb to cap the other connector.
That is one of the reasons I made my own harness. The other reasons are: I used 14 AWG wire (many kits are 16awg), and my harness is fit right to my car (no extra wire).

Well, there is another reason: at the time there weren't any H9 harness available (there are now), nor were there any male H9 connectors. I had to make my own H9 male connectors by breaking a pair of H9 bulbs and using their bases.

My harness has completely separate left/right low beam. Each side has its own power, ground, relay, and fuse. If there is a problem on one side, it won't affect the other.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
That is one of the reasons I made my own harness. The other reasons are: I used 14 AWG wire (many kits are 16awg), and my harness is fit right to my car (no extra wire).
I hate to admit it but I've got a whole nest of wires behind(below) the drivers headlight because of the generic harness'.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hate to admit it but I've got a whole nest of wires behind(below) the drivers headlight because of the generic harness'.
Same. I tried to combine/trim/neaten stuff up a little bit but I still have a mass of wire. Lovely looking isn't it?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Same. I tried to combine/trim/neaten stuff up a little bit but I still have a mass of wire. Lovely looking isn't it?

Vvme kit fogs? Yours is better than mine, but I mounted my relays low and out of sight. I'm picky.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

I'm gonna break the world record of zip-ties and double sided tape usage.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Good purchase on the TRS harness and HID kit. ITs money well spend. The cheapie kits are spotty at best when it comes to output and quality. If you still have the same results with the new HID kit and harness, I would look into the projectors themselves. TRS's customer service is pretty fantastic and they are always willing( for me anyways) to correct a problem. The mini H1's have been sent out before with sheilds that are not mounted right, and various other small defects. Like I said though, if their projectors are not right, you should not have a problem getting them replaced. Also from personal expirience, a clouded lens will diminish output quite a bit.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Vvme kit fogs? Yours is better than mine, but I mounted my relays low and out of sight. I'm picky.
No hid in my fogs, only standard bulbs down there. I have HID lows (morimoto) and highs (xentec). Both are on when the high beams are on, along with the cutoff shields open. My highs are almost too bright

I wanted the relays up a bit so they are accessible and away from water splash risk as my car does see rain every so often. My car isn't a show car so a few extra relays being visible doesn't bother me.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

OP the TRS kits are top notch. I just retrofitted RX projectors with their 50watt kit(i'll be makinga thread shorty for anyone interested). The kit is soo much easier to installed and the product is leaps and bounds over regular DDM or Ebay kits. Trust me you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00transamws6
OP the TRS kits are top notch. I just retrofitted RX projectors with their 50watt kit(i'll be makinga thread shorty for anyone interested). The kit is soo much easier to installed and the product is leaps and bounds over regular DDM or Ebay kits. Trust me you won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the post dude. I just refinished BOTH my headlights, sat there wetsanding with 400 grit for like 10 minutes to get all the pitting out. After I was done they looked awesome, turned on my lights and I finally saw some blue in the cutoff line. Took the car out on the road, still looked like ****.

My TRS kit *SHOULD* be here tomorrow or Thursday, I will have updated details once everything is in.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Got my kit in! Holy CRAP is all I have to say. I still don't have that awesome bright blue cutoff line, but then again these are Mini's and not a full size projector, and my housings are still a little beat up. But my lord, what a difference.. can see everything on the road, all the stop signs/reflectors (without blinding anyone) and they really look great.

I'll try to get some pics up in a new thread soon. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was skeptical about how much better the much more expensive Morimotos were vs stuff like Xentec... well, once I saw it, like you, I was a believer. And I think that my old Xentecs were better quality than the current Xentecs available also (my old ones were $80-ish, now they are what 35 bucks? Cheap, not in a good way).

So are the $120 morimotos worth it over the $40 Xentecs or DDM? Uh, YES!

Enjoy seeing at night
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured that was the problem

Also, the mini h1 is kind of a hit or miss with the blue cutoff, one of mine has a nice blue band and the other has a yellowish orange cutoff. Doesn't hinder output at all but bugs me a little bit.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you visit HIDPlanet you can find ways add color. In doing so it takes away from the intensity of the razor cutout but if you want it its possible. post some pics.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No issues with my xentec hids in my Mini H1's
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

UPDATE! Check it out!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post16444297

Quick Reply: Not Happy With My Morimoto H1 Mini Retrofit