Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow dude! Great job! HUGE improvement
Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are mine. I used the 3m headlight restoration kit from walmart for $17
Attached Thumbnails Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-img_2449.jpg   Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-img_2447.jpg   Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-img_2448.jpg   Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-img_2465.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone done this with the headlights on the car? Or is it worth taking the headlights off to do a better job?

Also, has anyone cut off/grinding down the little bumps, and sanded over them the same way recommended to clear the lights? Good results?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Teching In

i took the headlights out to sand them with 400grit, then with 600grit, then with 800grit, and finally with 2000grit. I then put them back on the car and polished them with the 3000grit 3m Trizac pad attachment (power drill). After that I polished the headlights with the foam pad and the polishing agent.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

sweet
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
Has anyone done this with the headlights on the car? Or is it worth taking the headlights off to do a better job?

Also, has anyone cut off/grinding down the little bumps, and sanded over them the same way recommended to clear the lights? Good results?
I recommend taking them out. It's so easy to do, plus it will make the job easier to do, finally it eliminates the risk of causing paint damage while working with abrasives.

Many people have removed the bumps with excellent results. FWIW, I kept mine.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I removed the bumps on mine fairly easy
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

I did this this past weekend. I just used what I had laying around the house and actually got some pretty good results. Probably going to go for round 2 this weekend to get them completely mint. Last weekend I just wet sanded with 2000 grit, then used a 3M rubbing compound, then Mothers Plastic Polish. Not 100% but looks much better for only 30 minutes of effort.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

I did this today on my 98 V6 headlights. They were extremely bad. I performed a fairly lackluster cleaning up of them about 5 years ago using some kit from autozone. Do not remember which one. It sucked. Took forever and did not work well.

Needless to say I used a different product this time and did not have much hope of it working either. My alternative to spending the $8.99 this time was to just buy new headlights. I bought Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer from Wal-Mart.

I spent almost exactly 1 hour per headlight start to finish. My lights were bad enough that before I used the kit I wet sanded them with 400 grit paper(not in the kit) and soapy water. I made sure all the discoloration was sanded out before proceeding to step #2 in the kit. Step #1 was to use just a spray solution and a cloth. There was no way that my lights were going to be fixed from that, so I skipped it. I basically replaced their step #1 with my 400 grit wet sanding routine. Then I proceeded to follow their simple process of wet sanding with the included pads and spray solution. Following it up with the included plastic polish and sealer.

I am very pleased with the results and saved a couple hundred bucks by applying 2 hours of elbow grease along with a simple $9 kit. My lights are not exactly new looking, but I think if I had a buffer to use with the polish they would definitely be like new again. Before I started, I literally could not see inside my headlights. They were so clouded up, that with my lights on, I could not see much past about 15 feet in front of the car.

I have several pics of my before and after to give you an idea of my results. Hope someone finds this info useful.
Attached Thumbnails Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-before02.jpg   Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-before01.jpg   Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-polished01.jpg   Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-polished02.jpg   Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-sidebyside01.jpg  

Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)-finished01.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fixed my yellow/cracked headlight today (pics)