Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Junkman's, The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
The Junkman is on ls1 tech? Wow that's awesome.
My thought exactly. Always have enjoyed your videos.

Originally Posted by porksoda
Does a foam gun really do that much better of a job as say opposed to blasting it with jet stream attachment from a garden hose?
One of the best purchases I ever made. Plus I always kind of feel like a kid hosing my car down with foam and my 3 year old little girl really gets a kick out of it too. Get one they are worth it.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

Junkman has been on here for a while. I see him in the Professional Detailing thread the most. However he has a great write up on a head gasket repair.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First head cold of the season settled in the chest today...feeling like poo and having no energy to do anything I stumbled across the Junkman treasure trove...very informative and entertaining!

Question Junkman, years ago I received a mister clean auto wash and dry as a gift. I tested it on my daily driver a few times and it was ok but the expence of the refills did not seem worth it so it sat on the shelf. One day I had the idea to use it with my favorite car wash concentrate to do a pre soap, simliar to the foam gun idea. It works but does not have the level of foaming I see in your vids. Is this an acceptable substitute or am I just waisting water?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

great vid's as always.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
... Plus I always kind of feel like a kid hosing my car down with foam and my 3 year old little girl really gets a kick out of it too. Get one they are worth it.
If the foam gun didn't work, I would buy one for that reason alone. Cherish making memories with your children. They grow up so fast but the memories will last forever.

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
... Question Junkman, years ago I received a mister clean auto wash and dry as a gift. I tested it on my daily driver a few times and it was ok but the expence of the refills did not seem worth it so it sat on the shelf. One day I had the idea to use it with my favorite car wash concentrate to do a pre soap, simliar to the foam gun idea. It works but does not have the level of foaming I see in your vids. Is this an acceptable substitute or am I just waisting water?
I have so been there and done that. Came to the EXACT same conclusion that you did. But can it work as a foam gun? I say this. Look at the video that I posted earlier in this thread and look at the amount of foam I'm making. Does your Mr. Clean device put out half that amount of foam? No. Conclusion: get a foam gun. You want as much soap as possible on your car during the foaming process to loosen up that dirt that is stuck to the clear coat. The Mr. Clean device ain't gonna give you that.

Using the Mr. Clean device as a foam gun is like sticking a fart can muffler on your Honda and calling it a muscle car. Not quite the same thing.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for these instructional videos Junkman.

Since I'm from the Louisville area, I might have to look you up for some assistance....
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
Thanks for these instructional videos Junkman.

Since I'm from the Louisville area, I might have to look you up for some assistance....
A 'brutha' in his garage productions' can always make time to help his homies.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Just watched the series and wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make them. Funny seeing how that "2" got on the hood lol

Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nnag
Just watched the series and wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make them. Funny seeing how that "2" got on the hood lol

I can dance!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great vids... thanks for posting...good info for beginners..
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump for the summer.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched the videos a few weeks ago and took my time doing a panel at a time. Results were fantastic! The before and after pictures are rediculous. Technique baby! Thanks for taking time to do this man, you have a dedicated fan for life!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00_MMM_Z28
Watched the videos a few weeks ago and took my time doing a panel at a time. Results were fantastic! The before and after pictures are rediculous. Technique baby! Thanks for taking time to do this man, you have a dedicated fan for life!
Thanks... did you post the pictures anywhere?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Before decklid

After decklid

After decklid

Before hood

After hood

After hood

Before Spoiler

After spoiler

After Spoiler

Before sail panel

After sail panel

After sail panel

Berger before

Berger after

Top of rear bumper before

Top of rear bumper after

And one with the manta on out in the Southern Florida rain haha
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I'll say it appears that you paid attention while watching those videos! Even got yourself some Collinite wax for protection. Welcome to Shineville. You get a key to the city!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car looks just like the red one above. I just watched all these videos and think I might try this myself.

I was talking to a local detailer who wants about 250$ to do paint correction.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skraight
... I was talking to a local detailer who wants about 250$ to do paint correction.
Problem is, most detailers don't do paint correction although they will claim that they do. The only thing they do is GLAZE your paint to death and HIDE all the scratches until you wash the car a few times. Once all the glaze is washed away, you're staring at all the scratches again. I won't paint correct a car for anything less than $500, and that's for a car that is in really good condition. Really jacked up paint starts at a $1000 and goes up. It's a lot of work to do paint correction. That's why I don't do this for a living. Only the Jay Leno's will come see me.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Problem is, most detailers don't do paint correction although they will claim that they do. The only thing they do is GLAZE your paint to death and HIDE all the scratches until you wash the car a few times. Once all the glaze is washed away, you're staring at all the scratches again. I won't paint correct a car for anything less than $500, and that's for a car that is in really good condition. Really jacked up paint starts at a $1000 and goes up. It's a lot of work to do paint correction. That's why I don't do this for a living. Only the Jay Leno's will come see me.
hey junkman, ive been watching all your videos last few weeks, learning how to get my car all sexified. glad to see ur still around. wanted to say thanks for all the vids man.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JDEP162
hey junkman, ive been watching all your videos last few weeks, learning how to get my car all sexified. glad to see ur still around. wanted to say thanks for all the vids man.
Thank you for watching.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

WOW!! You sir are extremely thorough in your explanations! You definitely explain it in a way that just about anyone can understand it. I have been detailing for years, and in about 3 hours of watching your videos I learned a whole slew of things I cant wait to try. Keep those informative vids coming!!!

Quick Reply: Junkman's, The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!