Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

tint strip on winshield, sunvisor delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, mine has about an 8-10" strip across the top.. It was like that when I bought it 7 years ago.. Never bothered me.. But I think I will be getting the whole windshield done this year. You can see it in sig pic.. I, also, did the visor delete.. No issues for me either, but I only put a couple thousand miles a year on it...
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll be getting my fresh windshield tinted 35 of 40% on the whole thing with a 5% strip at the top to try and deceive the look of the whole window being tinted. Granted it will be 90 % track duty, it will see some seat time on the street once its finished.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5% tint all the way around including the tint strip. The tint was already on the car when I bought it.
tint strip on winshield, sunvisor delete-jb09cryl.jpg
tint strip on winshield, sunvisor delete-tr28kjsl.jpg
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Windshield tint FTW! Best mod and all my cars have it!
Attached Thumbnails tint strip on winshield, sunvisor delete-daveta1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JDEP162
well as far as the laws go, all my other tint is illegal too. not worried about it, being a deputy sheriff(also here in ohio) and friends with all the local cops help out on that lol. havent been pulled over in 8 years. im not a hipocrit tho, i dont stop cars for tint either, even if im pinching for speed etc, i let tint slide. im liking the whole 35% on the whole front like krimson i think.
No hypocrite, but you pull cars over for moving violations and vehicle violations when your personal vehicle is not in compliance with all the state laws. Right..

To stay on topic, I used to have a tint strip on the top of my windshield but couldn't stand how it looked from the outside of the vehicle so I removed it. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I only have a visor delete, still rocking factory windshield tint
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grifter
I hate those tinted windshield strips, they look so tacky.

I have 35% all around, worth every penny and makes it great to drive with the sun out. Visibilty at night is obviously hindered a bit but nothing terrible.

If you look at the inspection sticker you get an idea of how dark it is.
How bad is your visibility at night?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Night time visibility is not bad at all IMHO...but some would beg to differ. If you have HID's it wont bother you at all I would say?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The windshield has brought no issues whatsoever.

the ONLY issue i have at night is when backing up, and that is from the hatch and side windows. when you reverse you need to see behind you, and you can't see anything using the rear-view mirror with the hatch tinted, and since the sides are also tinted dark, I have to roll down the side windows to use those mirrors. Toss in the fact that my reverse lights are tinted as well and I still use basic bulbs, so I don't have the best light output to really see whats going on behind me. But again, the only issue I have with tint, is backing up at night. SMD LED's should fix that though

did u get your windshirld done at a shop or do yourself? i know here in ohio had to sign waiver for sides to be 20%, not sure if they be willing to do a windshield, have to ask i guess...
Got it done at a shop. it was VERY hard to find a shop that would do the windshield. for the front/side windows, pretty much any tint worth doing in CA is illegal, but most shops will still do it. I went to numerous shops and called around, no one would touch the windshield, not even the guys who had been tinting my cars for years lol. Then I found out about a guy on our local forum that actually has a tint shop, and they'll do whatever you want.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 01-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

I ditched the driver side visor within the first week or 2 of owning the car because it was so bad every time I hit the brakes it flung forward into line of vision, then when I finally took the headliner down to do some sound deadening work I just didn't put the passenger one back up. still haven't done the tint strip, but the general LAW (way most states are) is the length of a dollar bill down from the top of the windshield, which I will have done when I get my Hatch done, I did the doors myself, but will be redoing them at some point.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crimson_bird

Got it done at a shop. it was VERY hard to find a shop that would do the windshield. for the front/side windows, pretty much any tint worth doing in CA is illegal, but most shops will still do it. I went to numerous shops and called around, no one would touch the windshield, not even the guys who had been tinting my cars for years lol. Then I found out about a guy on our local forum that actually has a tint shop, and they'll do whatever you want.
yeah, I heard Cali is like 85% all around, which you can't even tell it's there.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
I'll be getting my fresh windshield tinted 35 of 40% on the whole thing with a 5% strip at the top to try and deceive the look of the whole window being tinted. Granted it will be 90 % track duty, it will see some seat time on the street once its finished.
In my opinion that seems unneccesary and may look kind of dumb. I've never seen that in person though so it's just a thought. 35% all around gives the car a very, very clean look, I don't see a need to do a visor tint on top of it.

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
How bad is your visibility at night?
It is worse, which I knew it would be, but the car is still very driveable. Would I do it on a DD, eh, maybe. A friend has 5% all around and DD's it, it's all personal preferance. My car is not driven a lot so I didn't heistate to get it done. I think 35% all around is perfect, I wouldn't go any darker or lighter. When anyone sees my car from the outside their first comment is; 'Holy ****, did you spray paint the windows black?!' But once you actually drive in the car you barely notice it. I had 20% on my last car and many friends have 5%, I feel like 35% is a happy medium especially with a dark interior.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interior color plays a HUGE role in your window tint for sure!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

My last car had vinyl as a windshield strip. AKA no light at all got through it. Was a pain for some stop lights though.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
I hate those tinted windshield strips, they look so tacky.

I have 35% all around, worth every penny and makes it great to drive with the sun out. Visibilty at night is obviously hindered a bit but nothing terrible.

If you look at the inspection sticker you get an idea of how dark it is.
that...is...beautiful. mine is black and that looks awsome. definatly like to look in to geting that done.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
The windshield has brought no issues whatsoever.

the ONLY issue i have at night is when backing up, and that is from the hatch and side windows. when you reverse you need to see behind you, and you can't see anything using the rear-view mirror with the hatch tinted, and since the sides are also tinted dark, I have to roll down the side windows to use those mirrors. Toss in the fact that my reverse lights are tinted as well and I still use basic bulbs, so I don't have the best light output to really see whats going on behind me. But again, the only issue I have with tint, is backing up at night. SMD LED's should fix that though

yeah thats the problem i may have around here, most shops wont wanna do it because of liability. definatly looks awsome tho.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mine goes about 2-3 inches below the rear view mirror mount. I have no issues with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that...is...beautiful. mine is black and that looks awsome. definatly like to look in to geting that done.
Thanks! That's not the best picture but you get the idea. Here's another one, I think it looks darker than it is because of the rain/clouds/shadow.

Quick Reply: tint strip on winshield, sunvisor delete