Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My thicker leather steering wheel wrap from Redline Goods...pics inside (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks absolutely amazing man. Props for the writeup too.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineGoods.com
And here's my opinion guys:

First of all, thank you, HotWhipT/A, for th spictures and the description. Yes, to some extent you are right, rewrapping steering wheel with padding isn't a project for anybody. It requires lots of patience, precision, anticipating what will have to be done next and some force as well.

But we are all car enthusiatsts, aren't we? ;-) And we anjoy working on our rides ourselves, dont'we?

Jack
RedlineGoods Team
No problem. I'm glad to hear from the source that I'm not crazy and that it isn't exactly a walk in the park. If I had a written instructions or a verbal video on what to expect and answers to some basic questions one might have, I'm sure it would have been much easier. For the most part, I felt alone on this. Knowing what I've been through, I'm pretty confident I could guide someone through this project. I was honestly going to do a really sweet detailed write-up, but the moment I started I knew that was out of the question. I needed to be completely focused and not frustrated. I was winging it, so I wasn't sure what I was doing well enough to be trying to make a how to out of all this. If I did another wheel, I would do a write up this time.

If I can't make my glossy steering wheel center more of a matte finish with different vinyl dye, I'm going to sell my current wheel and start over with a true ebony wheel. I'll have my airbag wrapped and stitched to match my wheel at an upholstery shop most likely.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi

Of course you can send your steering wheel to our production facility. but it is in Poland so please remember it may take approx 5 weeks including shipping both ways and rewrapping work.

If it's not a problem for you, please let me know and I'll send you all the details

Take care
Jack
RedlineGoods Team
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

This is one mod i would love to do, since my steering wheel cover is all torn up. Mad props to you for doing this yourself. As stated earlier I too couldn't re attach a button to my shorts if i had to.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

I like your work and dig the wheel, but not too keen on the color. I guess I'll pass on it until I can get a OEM black gloss leather.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wheel looks great.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86
I like your work and dig the wheel, but not too keen on the color. I guess I'll pass on it until I can get a OEM black gloss leather.
I agree, it would look better if it matched better.

Question for Redline Goods... what's the difference between alcantara, and synthetic alcantara?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great HotWhipT/A!

I've got an extra steering wheel some time ago just for Redline to wrap but waited and attempted to wrap my own over the stock leather wheel. I also watched a few stitching installs on Youtube and went for it. I experience everything HotWhip went thru on my first try. Overall it turned out well but would I do it again? Probably not! Some mods aren't worth the time and frustration and better left to the experience pros.

I'm in for the group buy if the turn around time is less than 5 weeks.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

5-weeks time refers only to the situation when you send us your steering wheel for rewrapping. If you just order a cover for DIY installation, it is much shorter :-)

Take care
Jack
RedlineGoods Team
Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

Updated pics on first post. I wasn't too keen on the gloss black controls or the gloss from the FLAT black vinyl dye on the wheel and airbag. Those were originally dark grey since my car is a 99.

Controls are completely smooth and silver with clearcoat. The original vinyl dye I used was from Marhyde, Jet black. It was suppose to be a matte finish. It does have a matte finish on most things, but the steering wheel, airbag, center console and door arm rest are of the same rubbery material and turn out glossy. Don't worry, pretty much all those are going to be done up in leather. I had dyed those years ago and they look pretty good actually and more matte looking. You can't get the Marhyde stuff anymore so I bought flat black from Duplicolor thinking that would be better. Nope! Still glossy, damn. I found out by chance as I was prepping the glossy finish to spray the flat black the solution to my glossy problem. I was scuffing it up with a green Scotch Brite pad. Well after I sprayed the flat dye and it was still glossy, all I had to do was lightly scuff it up to make it dull. Looks perfect now!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I agree, it would look better if it matched better.

Question for Redline Goods... what's the difference between alcantara, and synthetic alcantara?
I have the Faux alcantara from Redline Goods on my doors, shift and ebrake boot. I like the material a lot. Looks a lot like the real stuff, and does feel like it as well. But, I plan on going with the real stuff for my steering wheel. Reason why, is I've read that the faux stuff doesn't wear as well as the real deal. I'm going with the real deal, since I'm going to always be in contact with the steering wheel.

My interior with the Faux Alcantara.

Here's an image from there facespace page of the real Alcantara.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

I don't care for how wrinkly the material looks. I would prefer a tighter fit on the wheel.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I don't care for how wrinkly the material looks. I would prefer a tighter fit on the wheel.
They have nappa leather too. It's the smoother stuff you find in the high end cars.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Op, I'm assuming that's not the Nappa leather you used right? Did you get the extra padding? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First this is a REALLY OLD thread. 2nd hes a local buddy of mine. Its the NON NAPA leather and when he ordered it he ordered the padded version that came with the padding to be used.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

I wish that someone would make affordable race style recliner seats in all REAL alcantara.

Does Redline sell COMPLETE/WHOLE door panels with that alcantara material, or just the material itself, and then it's a DIY deal??
Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, I think the wheel looks good. Although its not my style. I ditched my stock wheel a long time ago. I am also looking to have my interior done by Redline. I am going with the Faux Alcantara with red stitching as well on the door panels at the very least. I installed a Black Leather shift boot with red stitching to match my Pontiac G8 Shift ****. (Of course my shift boot retaining ring broke) At any rate, This was before I decided to go with the Faux Alcantara on the door inserts. Now I'm left with a dilemma on how to do my interior...lol..Buy a new shift boot or leave it. Just don't want the interior to look mismatched.

EDIT: PS My wife got to ride in my Comp T/A for the first time this month as it was in storage at a friends out of state during the last four years....lol....her first words..."What a stupid *** place for a cup holder!" HAHAHA
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I wish that someone would make affordable race style recliner seats in all REAL alcantara.

Does Redline sell COMPLETE/WHOLE door panels with that alcantara material, or just the material itself, and then it's a DIY deal??
They sell the door inserts which you then have to install but you can also get the door armrests if you want all alcantara. I went with alcantara inserts and nappa armrests. To my knowledge no one makes replacement door panels. Alcantara is actually cheaper than you would think by the yard. You could probably get replacement covers done in alcantara for a little more than what I have seen vinyl replacement covers sell for..

Quick Reply: My thicker leather steering wheel wrap from Redline Goods...pics inside (UPDATED)