Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 03:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I’m having two problems

Problem #1: My Airbag Cover will not fully secure and lock into place. It will settle in and won’t come out while driving but I can still remove it rather easily by hand.

Problem #2 I am having problems getting the cruise control to work. It works on the stalk but the Cruise Control buttons on the steering wheel do nothing. Volume controls work fine. My cruise adapter is wired into the long connector under the dash and also the illumination wire is interrupted between the 4 wire connector under the dash into the Cruise box and to an illumination signal wire on the body harness. That’s what I got from the instructions…

Is there any way I can get some visual reference as per what wires I really need to be connecting?
I don't have an F-body, and the installation on my Fiero is different so pictures or that won't be of much use to you.

Regrding problem #1: I slid the circuit board (wrapped in a little tape for insulation) in the free space on the steering wheel's top.

If the cruise buttons don't work, triple check the 12 pin connector inside the steering wheel. Apparently GM used several different (and of course incompatible) pinouts on that connector. Of course the wiring colors are also different between vehicles, else it would have been too easy. Easiest is to get the steering wheel harness from the vehicle mentioned in the instructions from the junkyard. Should only be a few bucks and way easier than repinning the connector.

Quick Reply: Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body