Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

T-Top Center Bar Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Top Center Bar Delete

Hey guys,
I want to remove the center T-top bar and go with a one piece solid glass. Getting the glass made is simple enough. But I wanted to see if anyone knew if there was a kit that i could buy to make it look awesome. I wanted to make it like the removable roof corvettes. Here is a pic of what i want to do. 6LE sells a roof but i want mine glass, and it looks like they require the middle post to stay installed. http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=279
Attached Thumbnails T-Top Center Bar Delete-2013corvettecoupemaryland.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck!

you'd still need the T-top lock pins from a set of t-tops to even make it work since thats the factory latch point. The 6LE kit we sell includes a center piece to help make sure everything stays down for the 1/4 cars we sell them to. So far so good at 175mph, i believe.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM

So is that kit made to remove that bar, Do you know of any cars that have this type of top installed.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dawsonjd
So is that kit made to remove that bar, Do you know of any cars that have this type of top installed.
The 6Le kit requires that you remove the black bar that holds the tops to the car, but you dont have to remove the piee of the body.If you chooes to you can, but we recommend you install subframe connectors first.

People will tell you that it will still flex, but we've done numerous threads on this topic....you'll be ok with SFC's.

Look for threads with "targa top". There are a few cars out there with our top. My friends looks AMAZING on his car!!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

I would'nt do it personaly that is too much glass, I just had one of mine broken with someone trying to steal car. Unless you live in a theft free part of the U.S.

Or maybe do it in something stronger like plexi-glass
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm right there with ya dawson, I want the single piece as well. but I never looked into getting it made of glass, As i heard it would be very costly to do so. Got any more info on that?

I'm doing like Sommer said and addinf SFC's before cutting the bar out. I purchased the firerglass 6LE piece when they first came out, just haven't put in the time/effort to really get it 100% finished. I've already talked to my buddy about cutting it out, he's pretty good with metal fab work and welding, so he'll be cleaning things up once I chop it out.

Mine currently uses the factory t-top latches, as well as 8 (4 front, 4 rear) latches I made to secure it to the car. No offense 6LE, but that center bar it came with looks terrible, no way I was using that, and it doesn't hold it down great either.

here's an old pic of when I had it on (I'm currently back to t-tops till I get some time to revise my latch setup)

Originally Posted by TxOutlawZ28
I would'nt do it personaly that is too much glass, I just had one of mine broken with someone trying to steal car. Unless you live in a theft free part of the U.S.

Or maybe do it in something stronger like plexi-glass
the cars already have a big *** windshield, front and back, and glass on both doors.. and glass t-tops.. not sure why the car will randomly become more of a target switching from a two piece setup (t-tops) to a one piece setup (targa). chance of break in shouldn't change one bit
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
I'm right there with ya dawson, I want the single piece as well. but I never looked into getting it made of glass, As i heard it would be very costly to do so. Got any more info on that?

I'm doing like Sommer said and addinf SFC's before cutting the bar out. I purchased the firerglass 6LE piece when they first came out, just haven't put in the time/effort to really get it 100% finished. I've already talked to my buddy about cutting it out, he's pretty good with metal fab work and welding, so he'll be cleaning things up once I chop it out.

Mine currently uses the factory t-top latches, as well as 8 (4 front, 4 rear) latches I made to secure it to the car. No offense 6LE, but that center bar it came with looks terrible, no way I was using that, and it doesn't hold it down great either.

here's an old pic of when I had it on (I'm currently back to t-tops till I get some time to revise my latch setup)

the cars already have a big *** windshield, front and back, and glass on both doors.. and glass t-tops.. not sure why the car will randomly become more of a target switching from a two piece setup (t-tops) to a one piece setup (targa). chance of break in shouldn't change one bit
I couldnt agree more, I got a PM for a guy who is building on a kit. I will keep you updated if i hear anything. I'm not great with metal work, so i need a kit that basically tells me how to do everything.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dawsonjd
I couldnt agree more, I got a PM for a guy who is building on a kit. I will keep you updated if i hear anything. I'm not great with metal work, so i need a kit that basically tells me how to do everything.
sounds good keep me posted!

I'll be sure to document everything we do with mine.. just not sure yet when we'll really get in there and knock it out.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

has anyone done the firerglass 6LE piece setup and have finished pics inside and out??

i hate t-tops
Old 02-23-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

lol there's a pics up there^ that's the fiberglass piece, wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. will eventually be re-wrapped in gloss black vinyl so it flows better with all of the tinted glass

I'll see if I have anything else worth posting. the inside essentially looks the same as it does with ttops, you just can't see out.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
lol there's a pics up there^ that's the fiberglass piece, wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. will eventually be re-wrapped in gloss black vinyl so it flows better with all of the tinted glass

I'll see if I have anything else worth posting. the inside essentially looks the same as it does with ttops, you just can't see out.
oh ok i thought you where going to paint it to match the car color thats why i asked. and is the fiberglass finished on the underside?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

no, the fiberglass is not finished underneath. I'll be doing the underside in one layer of roofing insulation (an alternate to dynamat-like products), and then a layer of black carpeting. between the two that should provide a better seal between the targa and the weatherstripping underneath to keep the wind/noise out better, and also to help insulate the car from the weather (even if only a little)

Quick Reply: T-Top Center Bar Delete