Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 04-29-2016, 05:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Cracked Dash Pad Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know people will call BS on this...lol...I still dont believe it, but I successfully pulled out and replaced TWO of these things last nigh and put them back in with no damage!! Hard to believe. I was sweating bullets!! haha

The best way I could describe it to my bro in law how these are, imagine Peanut Brittle super-glued to a counter, then try to take it off in one big sheet without breaking it lol!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Has anyone wrapped their dash pad in alcantara, I'm thinking it might look cool...but at the sametime I dont want it to look like a dash mat lol.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
Has anyone wrapped their dash pad in alcantara, I'm thinking it might look cool...but at the sametime I dont want it to look like a dash mat lol.
I`ve been planning to do that, however I`m currently leaning more towards vinyl as it would just match the rest of the dash.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
I know people will call BS on this...lol...I still dont believe it, but I successfully pulled out and replaced TWO of these things last nigh and put them back in with no damage!! Hard to believe. I was sweating bullets!! haha

The best way I could describe it to my bro in law how these are, imagine Peanut Brittle super-glued to a counter, then try to take it off in one big sheet without breaking it lol!

Why would you pull 2 out and replace them if they weren't broken?

That's a good analogy though
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Launching!

I followed the post on the cracked dash pad repair, and did the same to mine last year. Mine only had two long cracks and during removal it broke into many more pieces (cheap GM plastic). I used some flat vinyl that had the same leather contours as the dash and used thin foam layer also. So far it has held up to the Florida heat. I used Loctite 300 spray adhesive cause in the past the heavy duty 3m spray adhesive failed in the heat on other projects.
before:

after:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Why would you pull 2 out and replace them if they weren't broken?

That's a good analogy though
I know...sounds insane haha. Was doing a swap to change it up since one is different than the other. Also Looking at a place to install a small shift light.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fastls1ss
I followed the post on the cracked dash pad repair, and did the same to mine last year. Mine only had two long cracks and during removal it broke into many more pieces (cheap GM plastic). I used some flat vinyl that had the same leather contours as the dash and used thin foam layer also. So far it has held up to the Florida heat. I used Loctite 300 spray adhesive cause in the past the heavy duty 3m spray adhesive failed in the heat on other projects.
before:

after:
Very nice work!!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOHRTBT...What did you use to hold the mesh down? Very clean!!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cemlsx
I`ve been planning to do that, however I`m currently leaning more towards vinyl as it would just match the rest of the dash.
Yeah your right about that. I want to wrap the a pillars, headliner, sunshades, and rear hatch plastics in alcantara or some sort of microsuade material, but your right the dash pad would probably look kinda weird.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash Pad Repair