Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone running the acrylic underhood mirrors for awhile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running the acrylic underhood mirrors for awhile?

I'm wanting to get the underhood mirror kits and I'm curious if anyone has been running the acrylic mirrors on their car and see how they've been holding up over time? Any input appreciated!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone still make those? havent seen em in years
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxplusten
anyone still make those? havent seen em in years
Emblempros.com has stainless steel underhood mirrors. They say you're not supposed to leave them in all the time, though. They attach with velcro so they can be easily removed.

http://emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/1246/593
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm... that would look pretty bad *** for indoor shows... might have to do that for motorama next year
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I'm wanting to get the underhood mirror kits and I'm curious if anyone has been running the acrylic mirrors on their car and see how they've been holding up over time? Any input appreciated!
I have had mine in for a few years (acrylic). I tried the velcro thing and they seemed too bulky. So ended up talking to a guy on here(bilyb) whatever his name was. He had a black firehawk with them also and he talked me into doing it with silicone. I should of done it like he said where he used poles or something to brace them tight till the silicone dried. I had the middle 2 with the etching of firehawk in them fall. No damage to the motor but it ruined those 2 pieces.I should of done it like Billyb said, so it was my dumbass fault.
I was going to put my hawk in alot of shows so that's why I got them. I did 1 show and wished I had not put them on. There still on, except the 2 that fell. My pictures in Fquick shows them.
I had to use a dremel to make some of mine even fit! I have no idea why they were cut way to big. The place would not return my emails, so I just fixed them myself. One day I plan on removing them, just not reaqdy for that project yet. I use to DD my hawk year round even in snow. Had no problems with heat. Go every year to the beach so they have held up great. Nobody had stainless, so had to go with acrylic.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Emblempros.com has stainless steel underhood mirrors. They say you're not supposed to leave them in all the time, though. They attach with velcro so they can be easily removed.

http://emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/1246/593
Yeah I'm familiar with the stainless mirrors, which I really want, but the acrylic mirrors are a bit cheaper and I'm just curious how the acrylic is holding up.

BTW DrEvyl, you still own that BPM Formula? I know you've had a few.. I would absolutely kill to own a BPM WS6! One day one will be parked next to my SOM WS6.

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
I have had mine in for a few years (acrylic). I tried the velcro thing and they seemed too bulky. So ended up talking to a guy on here(bilyb) whatever his name was. He had a black firehawk with them also and he talked me into doing it with silicone. I should of done it like he said where he used poles or something to brace them tight till the silicone dried. I had the middle 2 with the etching of firehawk in them fall. No damage to the motor but it ruined those 2 pieces.I should of done it like Billyb said, so it was my dumbass fault.
I was going to put my hawk in alot of shows so that's why I got them. I did 1 show and wished I had not put them on. There still on, except the 2 that fell. My pictures in Fquick shows them.
I had to use a dremel to make some of mine even fit! I have no idea why they were cut way to big. The place would not return my emails, so I just fixed them myself. One day I plan on removing them, just not reaqdy for that project yet. I use to DD my hawk year round even in snow. Had no problems with heat. Go every year to the beach so they have held up great. Nobody had stainless, so had to go with acrylic.
So why did you want to remove them or wished you never put them on? Just because the two fell? Is there ANY discoloration or warping happening to the acrylic?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No discolor or any problems, like I said, I got them only for car shows. It was just too hard to have a car that was driven 365 days a year to go up against the ones that were garage queens. Would I do it again if I knew I was not going to put it in shows, no. But no sleep lost, just had to learn from it. If you are putting your car in shows, then do it. Save up, and buy the stainless.

Quick Reply: Anyone running the acrylic underhood mirrors for awhile?