Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Started doing stuff to the Formula

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to RJDio:

I would have probably left them on if they were on when I bought it but they had crappy looking firehawk decals where the old badges were. I always take my trim off though because to me it makes the sides of the car less cluttered.

to Daniel Richards:

I agree with you on the rear bumper, I kind of wish they had a more shaved or sleek look like the camaro bumper but with exhaust outlets or something subtle. As for the old firebird spoiler, I like them because they are lighter than the TA and to me they make it impossible to rice it out with a huge wing or spoiler unless someone wanted to be a total douchenoodle and put a high rise spoiler on it anyway, lol.

to SteveWs6:

THANKS!!! I am liking the way that raptor hood looks, but I also think people don't give enough respect to the sleek beak. Also an $800 hood plus paint expenses would not be as cool as a Koni/Strano's so maybe after I get the perfect stance down I'll consider it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

If you ever need a hand, I'm in Jacksonville also
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camarochvy21
If you ever need a hand, I'm in Jacksonville also
I almost always need help due to a lack of experience. Once I get a full exhaust I'm going to have Ben, "The Merv", do a tune for me. Do you have any experience with dropping one of these engines out? We should all cruise sometime.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man do what makes you happy.

Personally I would ditch the wheels. Lower it, change the exhaust tips, Raptor hood, Clear or smoked corners.

But that is just me. Nice ride though!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
Man do what makes you happy.

Personally I would ditch the wheels. Lower it, change the exhaust tips, Raptor hood, Clear or smoked corners.

But that is just me. Nice ride though!
You don't like the wheels? I love the wheels, the photos don't really do them justice though. To each there own. If I ever do decide to get corners they will be clear, goes better with silver IMO.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Smithwick88
I almost always need help due to a lack of experience. Once I get a full exhaust I'm going to have Ben, "The Merv", do a tune for me. Do you have any experience with dropping one of these engines out? We should all cruise sometime.
Engine shouldn't be a problem. Is there a guy around that can tune? I drive the red SS on base. PM sent

Last edited by camarochvy21; 03-19-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

You don't like the wheels? I love the wheels, the photos don't really do them justice though. To each there own. If I ever do decide to get corners they will be clear, goes better with silver IMO.
The finish is fine, thats not the issue we have with the wheels, the issue is the stock wheel design is just plain UGLY.

attached is a picture of what I think would look great in an 18 on the 98+ firebirds.
Attached Thumbnails Started doing stuff to the Formula-possessed-black.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

So I got my tips back from the powder coater and I took some pictures. The weather has been pretty crappy here lately so I haven't had a chance for some quality pictures or a wash for that matter. Probably later this week.

Here are the new muffler and tips

Here is an up close on the finish, those bumps are just rain drops so save yourself from the negative comments as far as that goes...

Here is another shot of the finish.

Let me know what you all think!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

looks good man!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camarochvy21
looks good man!
Thanks man
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

tips look good and do what makes you happy. it's your car , your money.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by totalchaos
tips look good and do what makes you happy. it's your car , your money.
I agree X2. I like the idea of painting the tips. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the exhaust tips match the rims. If so, nice touches to make the car look like a sleeper.

Most people wont notice you are running the 17x9 WS6 rims instead of the base 16x8 rims that you would find on a base model. I personally would have gone a different route with the colors, but it still looks good! If you want to unload those, I might be willing to help you part with them... ;-)

If you're going to get a hood, I like the Raptor or SLP Firehawk hood myself over the WS6, simply because someone might not notice you actually have a Formula, instead of the Trans Am. However, if it was me, I would buy a used steel hood and modify it to look like the SLP...which is what I am going to do, once I finish 2 of my other projects.

Bottom line: Great car!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DOC-Z
I agree X2. I like the idea of painting the tips. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the exhaust tips match the rims. If so, nice touches to make the car look like a sleeper.

Most people wont notice you are running the 17x9 WS6 rims instead of the base 16x8 rims that you would find on a base model. I personally would have gone a different route with the colors, but it still looks good! If you want to unload those, I might be willing to help you part with them... ;-)

If you're going to get a hood, I like the Raptor or SLP Firehawk hood myself over the WS6, simply because someone might not notice you actually have a Formula, instead of the Trans Am. However, if it was me, I would buy a used steel hood and modify it to look like the SLP...which is what I am going to do, once I finish 2 of my other projects.

Bottom line: Great car!
We have a lot of the same mentality. There is no other shiny metal on these cars yet so many people always bling them out with chrome so I had to go a different route. The rims/tips are matching. Also same idea behind the WS6 wheels, I like them because they are only 19 lbs at 9 inches wide so I could still fit up to a 285 maybe 295 (pushing it) if need be. I'm not sleeping to much since the car is still pretty stock though.

How would you modify the steel hood to look different? Sounds like an interesting idea. I was even considering a VFN stock hood just because that gives the most weight savings and is easy on my wallet even after paint. No piont of going ram air if you decide to do a cold air kit which I intend to do.

I appreciate the comment and am flattered
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Ok guys, thanks for following thus far. I know it may take me from longer than most people would like to get my pictures up but my job is busy and with the kid and stuff sometimes plans don't work out. Here are pictures of the exhaust on the car and one of my DRL swithcbacks at night. All feedback encouraged!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Looks really clean man, love the lights!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys, thanks for following thus far. I know it may take me from longer than most people would like to get my pictures up but my job is busy and with the kid and stuff sometimes plans don't work out. Here are pictures of the exhaust on the car and one of my DRL swithcbacks at night. All feedback encouraged!
I like it. I'm usually one who likes to keep lights stock with no VHT and whatnot, but with the wheels, tips, and bright silver color, this car is just screaming for smoked lights. Not completely blacked out, but a few nice coats of VHT to get them darker would help tremendously.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by justin455
I like it. I'm usually one who likes to keep lights stock with no VHT and whatnot, but with the wheels, tips, and bright silver color, this car is just screaming for smoked lights. Not completely blacked out, but a few nice coats of VHT to get them darker would help tremendously.
Good feedback, I'm actually thinking about it now and I already have acan of nightshade from my last T/A
Old 04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

nice car man looks clean . i just got a 2002 red formula i like a lot

Last edited by 02firehawkk; 04-02-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

I like your choice in color for the rims.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, it takes someone who is a little more open minded to like the way a subtle Formula looks. The wheels and tips are a custom color, the pictures honestly don't give them any justice since I'm taking them all in the evening. They have a really nice bronze sheen to them. I'm pretty sure all of the V8 guys around here think I'm driving a 6 banger. lol

Quick Reply: Started doing stuff to the Formula