Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vinyl Wrapped Guys: Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vinyl Wrapped Guys: Couple Questions

To the guys who've wrapped their whole cars in vinyl I have some questions. My car has a good amount of nicks and scratches, mostly old from the original owner, and the clear coat is starting fade. I can't afford a respray, but vinyl is do-able budget wise if I apply it myself.

What I really want to know is how well does the stuff hold up on a daily driver? Is the first pebble that touches it gonna make a big gouge? I don't mind a nick or two, but I don't want it if it's just gonna get torn to shreds every few weeks.

Also is it ok out in the elements? I have no garage, so if it rains, the car gets wet. I do have a truck, so I don't have to drive it in real bad weather.

Thanks for any help/insight fellas.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just plasti-dip it way easier then trying to vinyl wrap the exterior and easy to touch-up if something does happen.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plasti-dip the whole car? That stuff is thick. That would probably add 100lbs of weight. I don't really want flat black either.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

check dipyourcar.com don't go the rattle can method (the quality never comes out right with it) and you have a choice of colors/tints you can do these days, I don't see how it would be any thicker or heavier then vinyl wrap, since it is basically a spray on vinyl.

You can cover the average car with a gallon of plastidip, do you really think it weighs a 100 pounds?
here's a white one

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 03-30-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going by my experience with the spray on stuff on wheels. I was unaware they made specific for auto applications now. I'll look into it.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
Plasti-dip the whole car? That stuff is thick. That would probably add 100lbs of weight. I don't really want flat black either.
this is why im debating scraping all the paint off my car and just runnin bare metal. its not as thick as plasti-dip, but thats easily 80lbs of weight reduction right there!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Teching In

A good quality wrap will do great out in the elements as long as you take your time to prep before installing. Rain wont be an issue as long as you make sure you seal up all your edges when installing. I've wrapped a couple cars that have seen rain for a week straight with no issues. The most common issues I've experienced are with cars that see a lot of sun. I've had a couple customers take their vehicle out to Vegas for a month and the sun out there causes some bubbling in difficult areas. As far as nicks, that depends on the material you use. Some companies manufacture a very thin wrapping cast while others like 3m have a very thick and durable vinyl. Re-wrapping a single panel isn't too bad if something does happen though.

Its all in the installation though, if you pick a quality product and take your time on the install you should be good to go.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^exactly what he said
Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I looked into the plasti dip and its tempting at half the price of the vinyl and they make a color close to hugger orange. The vinyl still seems more professional and offers a lot more color choices.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Teching In

I've experimented with plasti dip before for test pieces to get an idea of how a matte color would look on certain things, but I personally wouldn't go that route for a semi-permanent application. I had a buddy that plasti dipped his S5 matte black and 2 weeks later he came to me to wrap it instead. The main complaint against it was that anytime someone would rub against it, it would start to peel. (I cant count how many times ppl reach out and rub matte finished cars with their finger tips, ppl get tempted to want to touch when it comes to matte colors) Its not a big deal respraying the area that becomes damaged though.

Each system has its advantages, plasti dip is very economical and easier to apply, while vinyl has lower maintenance and greater longevity. Either way, post some pics of the finished product if you decide to do it!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd be afraid to mess it up if I did it myself. I'd leave it to the professionals.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoCal-DCals
I've experimented with plasti dip before for test pieces to get an idea of how a matte color would look on certain things, but I personally wouldn't go that route for a semi-permanent application. I had a buddy that plasti dipped his S5 matte black and 2 weeks later he came to me to wrap it instead. The main complaint against it was that anytime someone would rub against it, it would start to peel. (I cant count how many times ppl reach out and rub matte finished cars with their finger tips, ppl get tempted to want to touch when it comes to matte colors) Its not a big deal respraying the area that becomes damaged though.

Each system has its advantages, plasti dip is very economical and easier to apply, while vinyl has lower maintenance and greater longevity. Either way, post some pics of the finished product if you decide to do it!
That's kinda what I was afraid of with the dip. The car is my daily, so between rock chips and people f-ing with it at weekend cruises, I'm afraid of having to touch it up every couple weeks.

The vinyl on the other hand, I'm still worried about the rock chips, but I know people can't wipe it off at least. I hear the 3M 1080 stuff is pretty thick though. I'm also concerned that it may take me a week or more to get it on, whereas the dip is a few hours.

I bought a can of dip at home depot the other day and I'm gonna spray an old 78 Camaro fender I have laying around just to see what I think. If I go vinyl it'll be somewhat permanent. I plan to daily this car for another two years until I can afford a 5th gen ZL1/Z28. If I dip it, it'll be for the summer and probably come off in October. Whatever way I go, there will be a thread documenting it with pics
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

With plasti-dip, it's not a 1 coat and done application. Did my manta on my ss hood with matte black plasti-dip. Did it with 4 coats and it won't wipe off, tried it myself. Do a light coat on the first pass, just to get a good base down. Then next coat give it a bit more, and same with remaining coats and you should be good to go.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly anymore you'll probably pay just as much for a good vinyl wrap as you would a decent paint job... something to consider

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrapped Guys: Couple Questions