Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best Glaze/Sealant/Wasx for Pewter Metallic Paint

Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever. Read post 27. That is my experience with it. Maybe a leprechaun jerked off in my bottle and made it magic. I have used it since then but not on anything that was as done in as the paint was on that Z.

The hood of the car in my sig was coated in hardwater spots earlier in the same day as the pic was taken and I PC'ed it.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

I'm just saying its prolly a filler, and if u do an IPA wipe down or dawn wash you will see what it really did or didn't do.

If that stuff really did remove swirls by hand detailers wouldn't spend $120-400+ on DA Polishers
Old 04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Yeah they would. You try hard enough you can remove a bolt by hand but you still buy wrenches to make it easier, right? Difference is I don't get paid for my time so hand was fine by me.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not correct anything without a machine.

Here is my car I did a couple years ago, should be a good read for you, right on point.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...tons-pics.html

Ive used zaino products years ago back when the zfx accellerant was 1st introduced. I really liked it, they make a good wax. Any kinda carnuba based wax is fine, just personal preference. I do recommend a good sealant before wax though, you will get more outta it.

If a product claims to remove RIDS and swirls by hand then it's a polymer based glaze that is filling imperfections.

Oh and 2 bucket method is your best bet keeping things mint.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 04-17-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
+1

I use Griot's Garage products and the results are impressive. I bought their 6'' random orbital buffer, their polish, best of show wax, clay, and detail spray. The results after 8 hours were stunning.

Their polishes are on the gentle side, and their orbital buffers are safe to use so that you do not burn through your paint. I daily drive my car all year round here in Mass and the swirl marks were eliminated. Deeper scratches were greatly reduced, and the wax hid a lot of other scratches as well.

I don't think I'll ever apply wax by hand again
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

All I'm saying is they are misleading you if they really are telling you that you can REMOVE swirls by hand with it. If they say fill in imperfections then they would be telling the truth.

Do an IPA wipe down or wash it with dawn soap then report back, you will see what I'm talking about
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

As far as polish goes, I have been extremely happy with Blackfire Wet Diamond.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6

Here is my car I did a couple years ago, should be a good read for you, right on point.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...tons-pics.html

Ive used zaino products years ago back when the zfx accellerant was 1st introduced. I really liked it, they make a good wax. Any kinda carnuba based wax is fine, just personal preference. I do recommend a good sealant before wax though, you will get more outta it.

If a product claims to remove RIDS and swirls by hand then it's a polymer based glaze that is filling imperfections.

Oh and 2 bucket method is your best bet keeping things mint.
Thanks; I'm going to check out your Thread.

Either way I go, I'm going to do the 2 bucket approach from here on out.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
I'm just saying its prolly a filler, and if u do an IPA wipe down or dawn wash you will see what it really did or didn't do.

If that stuff really did remove swirls by hand detailers wouldn't spend $120-400+ on DA Polishers
Exactly.

I'm not too familiar with the Zaino offerings besides the Z9/10 leather products which I've used and know first hand are fantastic products. If you're planning to undertake this project yourself you're going to need a DA buffer, at an absolute minimum. Also, assuming your car has not been repainted, you're going to have hard clear cote which will make it more difficult to correct paint blemishes. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but you have a lot of research and gear purchases ahead of you.

Without seeing the car in person, this would be the product lineup I'd recommend.

Griots DA
Meguiars DA Kit (D300/MF Pads)
Meguiars M105 (to mix with your D300 in the heavily swirled areas)
Menzerna M205 (remove hazing from your compouding stage)
Menzerna PO85RD (finish polish to amp gloss)
CarPro Eraser (remove polishing oils)
CarPro Cquartz (seal your work)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Don't drink the Car Pro eraser either. You will want to but resist
Old 04-18-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redlineracing
As far as polish goes, I have been extremely happy with Blackfire Wet Diamond.
Just to avoid confusion as Zaino's Z5 "POLISH" is already poorly named..... Blackfire Wet Diamond is a sealant, NOT a polish. Zaino products are also sealants, not waxes, or polishes.

The one polish Zaino has is the ZPC. I have used Zaino for years and know what it will and will not do. I used ZPC and found it average at best and it did dust a lot. Zaino is not keeping up with the times or developing anything new, so I hardly reach for them anymore because they no longer produce something better than what other people put out.

ZPC does have "bonding agents" in it so you can go right to Z2 or Z5.... Because both of those products have fillers (which are not an 'evil' thing), Its very likely the ZPC does as well.

Polishing by hand is a waste of time. You need a machine unless you're satisfied with 10% correction and a sore arm/back.

As for the Audi video posted....I lost track of how many times "no swirls" was mentioned....now this could be true that its swirl free.....but since there was no direct sunlight, all that was shown was a shiny car. I could do that same video off a car at a dealership in that same light covered in swirls and you wouldn't see them.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Just to avoid confusion as Zaino's Z5 "POLISH" is already poorly named..... Blackfire Wet Diamond is a sealant, NOT a polish. Zaino products are also sealants, not waxes, or polishes.

The one polish Zaino has is the ZPC. I have used Zaino for years and know what it will and will not do. I used ZPC and found it average at best and it did dust a lot. Zaino is not keeping up with the times or developing anything new, so I hardly reach for them anymore because they no longer produce something better than what other people put out.

ZPC does have "bonding agents" in it so you can go right to Z2 or Z5.... Because both of those products have fillers (which are not an 'evil' thing), Its very likely the ZPC does as well.

Polishing by hand is a waste of time. You need a machine unless you're satisfied with 10% correction and a sore arm/back.

As for the Audi video posted....I lost track of how many times "no swirls" was mentioned....now this could be true that its swirl free.....but since there was no direct sunlight, all that was shown was a shiny car. I could do that same video off a car at a dealership in that same light covered in swirls and you wouldn't see them.
Great post as usual Jeff.

OP, no one is trying to bust your ***** or give you a hard time. They are just trying to let you know what works and what doesn't that's all.

People like Gofast, AWD and Rare know what they are talking about.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Another vote for Zaino here. Not only will it keep your paint looking great, it will preserve it as well. The candy apple paint job on my dad's Corvette is 33 years old now as has never had a product besides Zaino touch it (Zaino originally painted the car way back when they had a body shop). Most people with a candy paint job are lucky if they get 10 years out of it. We have had it for 3x that long and people still ask if it was just painted. In this picture I am pretty sure I had just thrown a coat of Z5 pro and Z8 detailer on.

Heres another one:

And one of my car with the factory paint and 142,000 miles

Best bet is to buy the complete kit, wash with Dawn (this is important), and do the step by step process. It may be time consuming, but you will be happy with the end result...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Don't drink the Car Pro eraser either. You will want to but resist
I know what you mean. Between that and Adam's Detail spray I have a tough time.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=GoFast908Z;17327990]Just to avoid confusion as Zaino's Z5 "POLISH" is already poorly named..... Blackfire Wet Diamond is a sealant, NOT a polish. Zaino products are also sealants, not waxes, or polishes.

Correct, misinformation on my behalf. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm just going to have my guy do the correction for me. He's a professional and his before/after pictures are amazing, so I know he can take care of it without any issues. After the correction has been done, I'll do the 2 bucket method and order the Zaino kit for maintenance purposes.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z

As usual, Jeff hit the nail right on the head. The only Zaino product I continue to use are Z9 & Z10, other than that, I have very little desire to try any of their offerings. When I'm performing paint correction, I'm not looking for fillers, I'm looking for true compounds and polishes. Sam Zaino's product terminology is a little misleading if you ask me, but I digress.

Not a Zaino basher here, but I will say that there are better products on the market, period.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I'm just going to have my guy do the correction for me. He's a professional and his before/after pictures are amazing, so I know he can take care of it without any issues. After the correction has been done, I'll do the 2 bucket method and order the Zaino kit for maintenance purposes.
I would encourage you to take a look at a coating. Seriously.

I've been in your shoes before. Paint is corrected and looks beautiful. Nice sealant/wax combo as my LSP. Eventually, your protection wears off, and if you're not vigilant, you leave your car unprotected and open to water spots, swirls, rids, you name it.

Look at Cquartz and Opti Coat. Have it protected for YEARS. It's as easy as it gets for the consumers, and the guys that offer it professionally will tell you similar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Glaze/Sealant/Wasx for Pewter Metallic Paint