Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Headlight Bulb suggestions for stock headlights..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Headlight Bulb suggestions for stock headlights..

First off please dont suggest and aftermarket headlights.. ive been there done that and tired of **** not fitting right and not seeing at night.. Im running stock headlight housings again and would like suggestions on what bulbs ect i can do just to brighten them up alittle. yes I know I cant do hid's in them. What suggestion for hid's in my fogs though? Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For stock bulb replacements, Sylvania Silverstars are the best by far in my experience.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
For stock bulb replacements, Sylvania Silverstars are the best by far in my experience.
I've had good experiences with the Sylvania Silverstars as well. Just use gloves when you install them (or try really hard not to touch the glass), and they will last longer. Also a couple of times a year Sylvania has rebates on them, so do some searching around to see if you can get a good deal.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your best bet would be to go with something like the philips xtreme power or xtreme vision (which is their latest). GE nighthawk's are also good. You may want to consider using HIR (not HID).

Just remember to stay away from any bulb that has a blue coating (ie sylvania silverstars). They actually have less light output even though the light appears to be whiter.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you run stock-type halogens, I would suggest a relay or "booster" harness that gets a full 12-volts to the headlights. This is the same idea as the harnesses we'll run to the fuel pump to get full voltage.

You can see a big difference brightness with an upgrade harness, as the factory wiring loses quite a bit of juice from the electrical system to the headlights.

In my car, I ran DDM tuning HIDs in the stock housings before I installed a Morimoto projector setup. I almost never got high-beamed from oncoming traffic witjh my lights on, leading to me to conclude that the glare was not that bad. Since our cars are so low to the ground, I believe we can get away with HIDs in reflector housings.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some Sylvania ZXE bulbs and they make the car look newer with the cleaner light output. I have tried others and am extremely pleased with these.
They cost around $50 for a pair normally but use an online code at advanceautoparts and they will cost around $35.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
Your best bet would be to go with something like the philips xtreme power or xtreme vision (which is their latest). GE nighthawk's are also good. You may want to consider using HIR (not HID).

Just remember to stay away from any bulb that has a blue coating (ie sylvania silverstars). They actually have less light output even though the light appears to be whiter.
My Silverstars don't have a blue coating. They are clear with a silver painted tip.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
If you run stock-type halogens, I would suggest a relay or "booster" harness that gets a full 12-volts to the headlights. This is the same idea as the harnesses we'll run to the fuel pump to get full voltage.

You can see a big difference brightness with an upgrade harness, as the factory wiring loses quite a bit of juice from the electrical system to the headlights.

In my car, I ran DDM tuning HIDs in the stock housings before I installed a Morimoto projector setup. I almost never got high-beamed from oncoming traffic witjh my lights on, leading to me to conclude that the glare was not that bad. Since our cars are so low to the ground, I believe we can get away with HIDs in reflector housings.
I would agree. A halogen relay harness would really help out with either of the bulbs that I recommended.

I bought some Sylvania ZXE bulbs and they make the car look newer with the cleaner light output. I have tried others and am extremely pleased with these.
These definitely have a blue coating and though they appear to be white thay actually produce less light output than a clear bulb.

My Silverstars don't have a blue coating. They are clear with a silver painted tip.
The silverstar and silverstar ultras actually have a slight blue coating. I'm not a fan of silverstars as they tend to burn out failry quick.

Last edited by The Guz; 04-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people always complain about silverstars but I had them in the Camaro, s10, and 2 motorcycles for 5 years before I started running h.i.d.s and had no issues.

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulb suggestions for stock headlights..