Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!

I decided to go with LLumar 20% on the sides, back, and top. You would think when you work with cars every day that the name Camaro may have come up once or twice...
Attached Thumbnails Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!-img_1519.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

got pichurrs?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toronto LT1
got pichurrs?
this! post the pics of what we came to see!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm no photographer but here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!-img_1523.jpg   Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!-img_1522.jpg   Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!-img_1528.jpg   Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!-img_1524.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good man
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, ..., it does look good in the end, ..., but the installer should probably go back to skool.

What did they do about the dot-matrix in the back window?
It appears that he simply applied over it & there are the typical 'voids' in the adhesion.
Mine is like that too, & one of these days I need to have the guy re-do it.

Typically, it should be painted first ot give a better smooth surface to adhere to.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Well, ..., it does look good in the end, ..., but the installer should probably go back to skool.

It appears that he simply applied over it & there are the typical 'voids' in the adhesion.

Typically, it should be painted first ot give a better smooth surface to adhere to.
Mine was like that when I had it done. Took it back, he cut out the matrix, applied vinyl instead, and it looks perfect.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^what he said. the "good" shops I know of, know to do the vinyl over the dot matrix area. when I first had it tinted I got that crap-look too, and eventually had another shop fix it exactly the way ybaslo1 described...and now that we've brought this to your attention, it's gonna bug the hell out of you lol. that's how it was for me once someone really pointed it out to me.

but, outside of that, looks great!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I actually painted my dot matrix areas in both my cars, simple and kinda fun! I just masked it off, laid down plenty of blankets and gave it hell
Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PontiacFan

I had already done some research on LS1Tech and told the guy about it, he told me that he thought the tint had layed down nicely over that area although he was aware that it was a typical problem. He said that if it didn't clear up nicely in a couple of weeks I could come back and he would cut it out and throw on a vinyl strip (which conforms much better over spots than tint) for FREE (I already got a good deal at $150 CAD)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

I still can't get over the whole "Camero" deal though
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good OP, im also getting 20% tint but on saturday.

Does tint brand matter much? Im not sure what brand im getting, but my stepdad took his car to the same place a while back, and it has held up fine. They told me the rear hatch has a lifetime warranty, but the windows have 2 months.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

So tired of my worn out 30% tint.

30% is the legal limit here, but 20% is dark enough where it's tough to see in, but not pitch black. Pretty much black at night time though. Lol. I want to get tint badly now.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Looks good OP, im also getting 20% tint but on saturday.

Does tint brand matter much? Im not sure what brand im getting, but my stepdad took his car to the same place a while back, and it has held up fine. They told me the rear hatch has a lifetime warranty, but the windows have 2 months.
Honestly for the few extra bucks that your going to pay you should at least go with the standard in the industry (LLumar) there is no sense in paying less... as I said, I paid $150 for LLumar 20% all around and they give you a lifetime warranty against fading/cracking/bubbling/etc. You cant really beat that.

I was originally going to get 35% because I was worried about being too dark but I am very happy that I went with 20% and honestly could have gone darker. The law in Ontario is basically up to the officers discretion for window tint but I think the next time I get a vehicle tinted I will go a little darker. You can easily see the outline of my head/steering wheel/dash in any light (even at night) so I honestly wouldn't worry too much about 20%, that is a good % to go with and you wont be too upset about dropping the $$$ into it. I know that if I had one any lighter I would have felt as if i had wasted my money because I even thought that at first when I rolled off the lot with my new tint job today!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoHope
So tired of my worn out 30% tint.

30% is the legal limit here, but 20% is dark enough where it's tough to see in, but not pitch black. Pretty much black at night time though. Lol. I want to get tint badly now.
I have been in cars with both and I purposely made the guy throw tint over my t-tops because I knew that it would make a big difference in the cabin for temps/lighting and I think it was well worth the extra coin. Honestly if your legal limit is 30% then I would drop 5% on the tops (if you have t-tops) and do 30% on the sides/20% on the back. The police are hardly going to be checking your back window and its close enough to the sides. dropping a heavy tint on the tops will drastically decrease the lighting/temps in the cabin just in itself...
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1999CamaroSS
I have been in cars with both and I purposely made the guy throw tint over my t-tops because I knew that it would make a big difference in the cabin for temps/lighting and I think it was well worth the extra coin. Honestly if your legal limit is 30% then I would drop 5% on the tops (if you have t-tops) and do 30% on the sides/20% on the back. The police are hardly going to be checking your back window and its close enough to the sides. dropping a heavy tint on the tops will drastically decrease the lighting/temps in the cabin just in itself...
I hadn't though of tinting the top...I lost my inserts for that thing a long time ago.

I might get 5% tint for the roof, 15% for the rear, and 20% for the side windows.

Does it cost more if I have tint on the car already and they have to peel that off and apply new tint?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Generally speaking yes its more labor on the installers part so they will charge to peel it off. I did 5% on passenger driver and back window on my camaro, doesn't bother me, if I have the need to back up anywhere at night though I do roll down my window to see better, gonna go back and have the t tops done at some point as well
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Before:

After:

I went with 20% in the rear and 30% in the front. It looks nice and dark from the outside, but you can see out of the vehicle really well, and decent at night. When I drive my friends CTSv at night, I have to roll all the windows down to back up.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Looks awesome ybaslo1! I have a feeling that I will be going back to get a vinyl strip layed down over the dot matrix soon enough! I told him that before he even started and at the end he said that he was happy with that area and thought it would stick nicely... we'll see
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

No shops around me would do the vinyl strip so I painted over the matrix and the tint guy tinted over the paint and it looks good. There's one spot that doesn't look perfect that bugs me but besides that it looks great. I might fix it...one day lol

Quick Reply: Got windows tinted on the "Camero" today!