Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Could the guys at GMMG make this happen?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, all 69 ZL1s sold for $100,000+
Old 04-26-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratio411
Where are they getting the Camaros to do this?

"Come and get it! Your very own $85k used Camaro!"
Gawd people. Give me a freakin' break! These are NOT used Camaros. These are brand new Camaros that GMMG bought for '02 with 'other' plans! If you don't like 'em, then you obviously know NOTHING about them, or you're just too narrow minded to see 'outside' the standard Camaro!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlackZ28
Yup, all 69 ZL1s sold for $100,000+
Not in '69 they didn't! Not even close! Now they go for much more than that, but in '69 weren't much more than any other Camaro. Kind of like the Yenko. 'Affordable' back then, but highly sought after now, and EXPENSIVE!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran

http://corvettes-musclecars.com/Supercars/69ZL1/
Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
Not in '69 they didn't! Not even close! Now they go for much more than that, but in '69 weren't much more than any other Camaro. Kind of like the Yenko. 'Affordable' back then, but highly sought after now, and EXPENSIVE!
I think he's talking about the ZL1s that were made by GMMG last year.

GMMG ZL1

A good example of what this new one will probably do. The phase III ZL1s had 600hp.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I think I need to change my shorts! I want one now!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Berger / GMMG has 30 BRAND NEW Camaros already purchased and on hold for the project.

And Man I want one! Counting my pennys now; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 . . . . .
Old 04-26-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can word it anyway you like...
They are 3 model year old cars, they are on their first owner, and there is no way that they should be called anything other than "used".
I am not saying that it won't be a nice car, but it is getting blown a little out of proportion... overrated if you will.
IMO
Dave
Old 04-26-2004, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ratio411
You can word it anyway you like...
They are 3 model year old cars, they are on their first owner, and there is no way that they should be called anything other than "used".
I am not saying that it won't be a nice car, but it is getting blown a little out of proportion... overrated if you will.
IMO
Dave
No, they are NOT used cars. GMMG reserved these 30 Camaros during regular production and have kept them stored away during the development of this package. They are BRAND new Camaros, never titled. Don't forget that GMMG does these conversions for GM, so each vehicle is actually a GM model, like SLP does the SS and Firehawk for GM.

The cars are overpriced for what money/labor is put into them, but they are not intended for guys to buy as daily-drivers. These cars are the very last Camaros, and are intended for collectors with deeeep pockets.

More info/photos here: http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1081985351

Tony
Old 04-26-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn, wish i had the cash
Old 04-26-2004, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperDave479
I really, seriously, hope you are joking.
I agree with Superdave - wtf are you talking about? the only thing ricey about that prototype is the color. to each his own I guess, but I like it!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Me joking? Hey, I have taken some flack over some of my mods ("invisible mud flaps", vacuum gauge, brake lamp indiciator, etc.), but at least they are practical and well engineered. This thing - hmmmm.

For starters, did any one seen the latest "expose" on the fallacy of those "dubs" (I don't have the issue handy, was it this month's "Motor Trend" or "Car and Driver" ? ) Anyway, unless you are going slow on a concrete slab, and only straight, those wagon wheels do nothing for the dynamics of a vehicle in the 3 dimensions that a tire, suspension, car, and driver need to be in control of.

That "cow catcher" of a front end - I guess they had to modify the cooling path for the radiator to keep that thing from overheating? I wonder how many parking lot bumps will that take - and I would love to imagine the airflow patterns at high speed - I see a lot of "barn door" in it...

Those 'sweet" clear corners - heck even those idiotic Lexus SUV's have them now - the fad is sooo over.

Unless there is some 1940's airplane supercharger in there, I see zero point in blocking the driver's field of vision with such a monstrosity of hood - even the air intake requirements for the B-17 were handled without scoops.
Ok, then do they REALLY need all that vertical clearance - if so, they should look at replacing some of their engineering staff! Furthermore, I wonder what the pressure density of the air at the intake is - betcha it's a partial vacuum - yea a modern application of the 1970's "ria mar" effect

The "wasp waist" look, and the double-decker "JC Whitney" spoiler was "oh so fab" in the 1960's - and still is, in the land of the enchalada and sushi...

Aesthetically, there is some jarring focus point where the door mirror meets the fender; heck - I'd have used some of those "bullett" freestanding pods from the 70's if I was looking for that "Speed Racer" look...

Thankfully, it looks like they have been spared from the dreaded "fart pipe" curse, but I would have thought a custom "hot rod" would have had side pipes, not something "pretty" that just looks like chrome plated aftermarket tips...

OK, maybe I am being a bit harsh, but 'tis a shame that they had to take the last few remaining real GM muscle cars and make them look like some riceboi's dream.

Personally, I was never a follower of fashion.

MRK

Last edited by emarkay; 04-26-2004 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2004, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by emarkay
That "cow catcher" of a front end - I guess they had to modify the cooling path for the radiator to keep that thing from overheating? I wonder how many parking lot bumps will that take - and I would love to imagine the airflow patterns at high speed - I see a lot of "barn door" in it...

Personally, I was never a follower of fashion.

MRK
ok....you don't like the Dick Harrell GMMG car..... we get it....

but it's very hard to take you seriously with that critique when you are running Walmart mudflaps, cheeseball tail-light covers, a furry dashboard and a hole drilled in your spoiler.

I think the GMMG guys are committed to the heritage of the car and will refrain from rice.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

emarkay - I guess you think xsta's car looks bad because he also has the same type of 'wagon wheels' . Oh well to each their own.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Apparently he's never seen the GM-built Woodward "Sunoco" Camaro in person.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't care what you guys say I have seen a Yanko camaro sell for 100k to 500k. So what do you think this car sitting in a heated/cooled garage for 10years would sell for?

I don't care if the car is shaped like a huge *****! It is going to be rare and crazy valueable!

If you could buy a brand new Yanko or berger or COPO never titled for the sticker price in the year it was made would you?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow someone has a chip on their shoulder . . . .

This is the "actual" car the Dick Harrel project will be based upon - not the over exaggerated rendering . . .

And I like my "wagon wheels" thank you very much . . . . .
Old 04-26-2004, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Thats okay emarkay, everyone has their own opinions. I'm sure my 35th looks like total **** to you as well. I'll sleep just fine

The Sunoco C5R Camaro is the best looking 4th gen I've ever seen in person. Awesome car. Those computer renderings are very exaggerated in certain aspects, but the body kit will be identical to the one pictured above.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Wow someone has a chip on their shoulder . . . .

This is the "actual" car the Dick Harrel project will be based upon - not the over exaggerated rendering . . .

And I like my "wagon wheels" thank you very much . . . . .
I love that hood !!!
Old 04-26-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that these cars are really going to be special. All of the work that Matt has done in the past on his other cars have been top quality and I would expect this car to surpass those. I can't wait to see one in person. Maybe at G8 we'll get a preview.