Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Could the guys at GMMG make this happen?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen good ol' #6.

As a purpose built (Le Mans maybe?) car it's fine. I also know that most twentysumthin' Photochoppers like to add too much "attitude" into their work these days. OK, nuff said.

Regardless I still think the front clip and hood are counterproductive, even on the original.

As for those goofy rubber rimmed chuckwagons today's kids seem to think are so "rad" (or is it "word", or "fly" or "bling"), I'm just waiting to see the insurance companies start cancelling policies as these unpredictable beasts start getting involved in accidents and lawsuits. You can bet I'd sue the living life out of any kid who casuse an accident near me, who doesn't have a certified chassis engineer's signature on a stack of paperwork saying those wheels are integrated into the OEM's vehicle dynamics, or modified to conform to DOT standards.!

I am sure GMMG will have a comprehensively engineered chassis to match those wheels and tires, but as for Hector and Yoko down the block, I doubt it.

It's more than the "ugly" factor, it's the safety factor. THAT's my issue with "rice"...

MRK
Old 04-26-2004, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emarkay
I've seen good ol' #6.

As a purpose built (Le Mans maybe?) car it's fine. I also know that most twentysumthin' Photochoppers like to add too much "attitude" into their work these days. OK, nuff said.

Regardless I still think the front clip and hood are counterproductive, even on the original.

As for those goofy rubber rimmed chuckwagons today's kids seem to think are so "rad" (or is it "word", or "fly" or "bling"), I'm just waiting to see the insurance companies start cancelling policies as these unpredictable beasts start getting involved in accidents and lawsuits. You can bet I'd sue the living life out of any kid who casuse an accident near me, who doesn't have a certified chassis engineer's signature on a stack of paperwork saying those wheels are integrated into the OEM's vehicle dynamics, or modified to conform to DOT standards.!

I am sure GMMG will have a comprehensively engineered chassis to match those wheels and tires, but as for Hector and Yoko down the block, I doubt it.

It's more than the "ugly" factor, it's the safety factor. THAT's my issue with "rice"...

MRK

Sounds like it's time for someone to grab an ice-cold glass of Metamucil, throw on Matlock, and ease into your rocking chair. And don't worry, you about all those young whippersnappers - that's what you have your cane for.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

I cannot believe that gmmg is making this, i wish gm would make these as a super sport model. I thought the zl1 427 cars were awesome but look at these that is going to be so sweet, i cant wait to see one in person.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mako22
Sounds like it's time for someone to grab an ice-cold glass of Metamucil, throw on Matlock, and ease into your rocking chair. And don't worry, you about all those young whippersnappers - that's what you have your cane for.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got one of the Year One Formula's that Carl Black did after the BlackBird's. Unfortunately, the Formula's weren't as popular as the BlackBird's and to my knowledge only 6 of the 14 cars that were made have been through the GMMG garage. I'm hoping to make mine #7 this summer, and definately have much respect for the cars these guys have made. If I could afford it, I'd love to buy one of these new Camaro's, but I still can't wait to see them once they are completed and running. I've loved the design of the original car since in saw it in CHP, almost a year ago and I'm glad to see that someone is finally making a car off of this design.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

I read something about this car on the Dick Harrell website (in the forums) A guy from GMMG posted some numbers for Harrell's daughter. Something like 10's in the 1/4 (no joke). I'll see if I can find the thread. Dick Harrell did some wild sh*t w/ w/ camaros and novas in the 60's. Kinda like Yenko, but his cars were for were 427 sleepers (no crazy badging or decals). Oh yeah, he was a hell of a driver too (Funny Car and Pro Stock)
Old 04-27-2004, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Here ya go. I'm not sure who Matt Murphy is, but I guess he works at GMMG.
http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1081985351
Old 04-27-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emarkay
I've seen good ol' #6.

MRK
Man, I dont even know where to begin with you. Maybe you have or maybe you havent spent much time around a road race car.

those "chuckwagon wheels" you are refering to as rice are quite possibly the most advanced RACE technology wheel available on the market today. Check out www.fikse.com and look for the ARO wheel. With a little research you might find that this wheel is used on hundreds if not THOUSANDS of full blown, track only, tube chassied, CF bodied RACE CARS (see: Ferrari challenge, 24 hour daytona, Le Mans etc.). These wheels exceed ANY DOT standard by a LONG SHOT (see: 2 and 3 piece FORGED). And if you want to talk crappy wheels, then look no further than the 01-02 10 spoke wheel or the ZO6 wheel that randomly like to disintigrate on the owner while on the road.

Those nice fat fender flares on the thing are to allow the fitment of a 335 wide tire on the rear along with a much larger front tire width.

Since you didnt notice that this is a reproduction of a RACE CAR you also probably didnt realise that the "cow catcher" nose actually has a purpose. Its called AIR MANAGEMENT. For the layman that means keeping the air from going underneath the car creating a "cusion" underneath it. It also builds downforce on the nose keeping the the vehicle stable at high speeds. I am not even going to bother with explaining the rear spoiler on the car.

GOD FORBID this individual ever saw my car with its "Chuckwagon" FM10's and its double decker LG SCCA spoiler, race seats with harness, boom tube out the side and the air diffusor. His pacemaker would cease to function.

Now I am not a 100% sure of this but the last batch of C5r Powered ZL1's made had a nice big sticker right next to the dealer sticker that said "THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR USE ON PUBLIC ROADS". As a matter of fact I dont even think you can get the cars licensed. I am sure a few owners did. But they were not intended for day to day driving.

But what REALLY chaps my ***, is wht they are charging for these cars. I always associated the word "CAMARO" with inexpensive performance. I personally think anyone that pays this much for an Fbody should be drug out into town square and beat. But, thats just the cheap bastard in me coming out.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt Murphy owns GMMG
Old 04-27-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
No, they are NOT used cars. GMMG reserved these 30 Camaros during regular production and have kept them stored away during the development of this package. They are BRAND new Camaros, never titled. Don't forget that GMMG does these conversions for GM, so each vehicle is actually a GM model, like SLP does the SS and Firehawk for GM.

The cars are overpriced for what money/labor is put into them, but they are not intended for guys to buy as daily-drivers. These cars are the very last Camaros, and are intended for collectors with deeeep pockets.

More info/photos here: http://www.dickharrell.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1081985351

Tony
I agree they are not used cars. But I think you are mistaken about an official relationship between GMMG and GM. GMMG may license the use of logo's, etc. but GMMG does NOT "do the conversions for GM". GM does not officially recognize the 2002 ZL1's or any other GMMG conversion as a GM product. (They don't recognize the Yenko's either) Comparing the factory 1969 ZL1's to the 2002 GMMG ZL1's is comparing apples to oranges. The 2002 ZL1 should be compared to the Yenko, Nickey, etc.

The relationship is nothing "like SLP does the SS and Firehawk for GM." SLP was a tier 1 supplier and provided "factory" options that could be ordered through any dealership. This is a relationship between GMMG/Berger/Dick Harrell, GM has nothing to do with it.

Still looks like an awesome package.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you see this. They are testing one of the setups they will offer. OMG

Old 04-27-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Berger / GMMG has 30 BRAND NEW Camaros already purchased and on hold for the project.

And Man I want one! Counting my pennys now; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 . . . . .
Come on Andy, we know you can drop down the cash for 3 or 4 of them right now
Old 04-27-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

GRRR, very GRRRR
Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

If that color is ricy what about all the 60's&70's dodges that were those off colors. Were those rice? I love every thing about that car.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sunoco #6 is gorgeous.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

I mammma mia, when can I place an order.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

No big whoop, but I think I would like it a tad better without that lip at the bottom of the front bumper. That detail is a shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade ricey.
Other than that....this is one mean f'n 7.0Litre green beast.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

The only GMMG cars that were not sold brand new to the customer with the FACTORY warranty were the Stg IIIs.