Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Orbital Buffer

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Since your an Adams guy here is a video where Dylan actually talks about cleaning a foam pad during the correction process
http://youtu.be/zoH9OxMhL4s

Liljay is just trying to help people out on here so they get the same level correction with the first panel as the last
Thanks for the post AWD. I wouldn't worry about, he's got it figured out. He's actually not the first Adam's guy I've talked to that said they don't clean the pads on the fly. His reasoning was, "Adam doesn't show it in the video" I said then why in the hell does Adams sell a pad brush?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Polishing/waxing is not high speed buffing. For polish/waxing go for the HF orbital buffer around 20 bucks. For high speed type buffing, spend the most that you can on a good one. If your paint is in bad shape you will need the high speed. If good shape, buy the 20 dollar deal. Polish then wax.
Hope the OP is not taking your advice, because frankly, it's terrible
Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Just trying to help the OP in a clear way, Chicago boy. We appreciate your input.
Stop spreading misinformation and I wouln't need to comment.
Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
You didn't help him in a clear way. You gave him false information
+1
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Thanks for the post AWD. I wouldn't worry about, he's got it figured out. He's actually not the first Adam's guy I've talked to that said they don't clean the pads on the fly. His reasoning was, "Adam doesn't show it in the video" I said then why in the hell does Adams sell a pad brush?
They will learn when they get more of an eye for perfect paint and more experience. All u can do is inform its up to them to choose whether they will take your suggestions
Old 06-23-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lemons, completed my paint correction over the weekend. It turned out better than I could have ever imagined. The Harbor Freight DA did outstanding and the Adams products lived up to their reputation. The pads that came with the Adams two stage polish system are the foam pads, and I was able to do the entire car without having to clean them. After the two stage polish was done, I applied the Adams Glaze and Americana Wax by hand. Car has never looked so good. I'll be making a thread here in the next day or so with a bunch of pics.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Lemons, completed my paint correction over the weekend. It turned out better than I could have ever imagined. The Harbor Freight DA did outstanding and the Adams products lived up to their reputation. The pads that came with the Adams two stage polish system are the foam pads, and I was able to do the entire car without having to clean them. After the two stage polish was done, I applied the Adams Glaze and Americana Wax by hand. Car has never looked so good. I'll be making a thread here in the next day or so with a bunch of pics.
Their pads really are awesome, sounds like you have similar real world experience to mine.

Awesome to hear it performed well, which backing plate did you end up using? the adam's?

PS: did you have to swap out the counterweight? or did it perform fine as is?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a loaded pad is like using a dull knife. Sure you can still cut with a dull knife but you'll get better results with less effort in less time with a sharp one. Considering it literally takes 15 seconds to clean a pad on the fly, I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

also a glaze is designed to "fill in" the defects you should be removing
Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by outkast6991
In a perfect world I agree. I think glazes are OK if used for the right reasons. If a guy throws some glaze on his car before the local show that night to help it look just a little bit better or hide a few things that can't be corrected I think its ok.

If a guy charges someone to "detail" or do a correction and just slaps a bunch of glaze on it covering everything up then I think that's wrong. Very wrong.

Not every defect can be removed. Sometimes it's just not worth attempting to remove it if you don't have a PTG.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

This is what I bought to do my car.

Griots Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher HD <--- powerful DA Orbital
Meguiar's DA Microfiber Compound D300 <--- Cut
Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish <--- Polish
Menzerna Super Finish (SF 4500) PO85RD <--- Fine Polish/Finish
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection <--- Sealant
Meguiars DMC5 DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, 5 inches <--- used to cut
Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pads (2 White, 2 Black, 2 Blue) <--- in order to polish, finish, and seal

If you do something like that, also get you a set of Cobra Microfiber Towels, the Blackfire Pad Care Kit, and some Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay and Lube.

Then once you get everything corrected, you'll just be using the Menzerna and the Sealant. No wax.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
Their pads really are awesome, sounds like you have similar real world experience to mine.

Awesome to hear it performed well, which backing plate did you end up using? the adam's?

PS: did you have to swap out the counterweight? or did it perform fine as is?
I just used the backing plate that came with the Harbor Freight DA and did not change out the counter weight. Everything worked just fine for me. Again, this was my first time using a DA, so I have no way to compare it to anything else.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got the glaze because that is what Nick at Adam's recommended I use before applying the Americana Paste Wax. They stated for the ultimate shine and paint depth, to go with the glaze first, then apply the Americana Paste Wax, which is what I did. Overall, I'm very happy with how things turned out.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

A really heavy glaze, yes.

Adams glaze is so thin in consistency and I have never once noticed it hiding any defects on any vehicle I've used it on.

"Detailers" shouldn't be using a glaze for the reason of hiding defects, they ahoy of be using them as a product that increases the depth and gloss after the paint has been properly corrected.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

I think glazes are kind of a waste of effort and time if you have already corrected the paint. Helped Jeff(gofast) on Full Corrections and we never used a glaze. The gloss on those cars were always amazing
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My problem with a glaze in general is it gives a false sense of the condition of your paint. I personally don't want to have my car look great until it gets washed then look bad again. Years ago that would have been ok but now that I'm learning about correction and proper paint care it isn't really an option anymore
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

We use a Dewalt buffer at work with the 3m 3 step system. Well now I use it, because I've absorbed the detailers job....again. I've never seen a professional with anything else, but those mentioned in this thread seem to be quite popular. I don't know how long they last though, the Dewalt buffer at work has been used every week day for over 6 years, not sure how long it was used before I got there. I know I'm supposed to blow it out now and then but I think I've only done that twice. It's like the ak-47 of buffers, lol.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
We use a Dewalt buffer at work with the 3m 3 step system. Well now I use it, because I've absorbed the detailers job....again. I've never seen a professional with anything else, but those mentioned in this thread seem to be quite popular. I don't know how long they last though, the Dewalt buffer at work has been used every week day for over 6 years, not sure how long it was used before I got there. I know I'm supposed to blow it out now and then but I think I've only done that twice. It's like the ak-47 of buffers, lol.
I agree with you on the Dewalt: they are nearly indestructible, and rotarys are an amazing tool if you have the proper skill set to use them. I started off on one, and recently picked up a GG 6" DA, and the finish I'm now capable of producing is worlds above the best I've ever gotten in my almost 10 years with a rotary, even though I'm no fool when it comes to using one properly. I still use it on major corrections, but for lighter correction/polishing, the GG just plain gets you better results.

As far as the 3M system goes, it's what I used when I started out as well, and had great results with it. However, once you try the Menzerna line, you'll never go back to 3M.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly I don't consider myself all that skilled (5-6 years experience on and off), as I often still have trouble with swirls on black cars. I was never really formally trained, even though I've trained several people and they have done well. Strangely, it seems they are better than me at times. I could really benefit from some sort of detail clinic, I'll have to try to find the time for that. Although no matter what, the space, lighting, and other factors are not ideal for the type of work I feel I can produce. I might look into this Menzerna line, I have wondered how well I could do with other systems.

Been doing a lot of reading and I feel adding a DA might really help. I'm looking for the most rugged one available, I have read some reviews about porter cable brand polishers not lasting long under everyday use. By GG do you mean Griots Garage?

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 06-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a separate Maikita buffer that is rotary, but you can change the backing on it and screw on a orbital. Watching videos of the newer orbitals, this one seemed to be more of a violent operation, like a jitterbug, than smooth like a GG or PC seems to be on video. I used it a few times when I first started but ditched it eventually because I couldn't tell if it did anything at all. Would that work on a black car at removing swirls with the right pad and product or do I need t buy one of the smaller 6" polishers? The main painter will be gone next week so I'll have to paint this black Mercedes but also buff it because that's my job now too since the detailer left.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure how far you are from Fontana but 3D Products is putting on a free detail seminar this weekend or next. And they do them once a week I think at their Santa Clarita facility.

Porter cable is probably one of the most reliable DAs, the griots I know Jeff has had to send his in a bunch of times to have them fixed.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I have a separate Maikita buffer that is rotary, but you can change the backing on it and screw on a orbital. Watching videos of the newer orbitals, this one seemed to be more of a violent operation, like a jitterbug, than smooth like a GG or PC seems to be on video. I used it a few times when I first started but ditched it eventually because I couldn't tell if it did anything at all. Would that work on a black car at removing swirls with the right pad and product or do I need t buy one of the smaller 6" polishers? The main painter will be gone next week so I'll have to paint this black Mercedes but also buff it because that's my job now too since the detailer left.
I have heard of these attachments before, but I do not have experience with one. If it were me, I would look into a dedicated DA, that way you don't have to worry if you're going to get the results you need or not, especially on finicky paint. I would recommend the Griot's over the PC, as it offers more power, and a lifetime warranty to boot. As AWDTBSS mentioned, some people have had problems with them, but the new 3rd generation seems to have much less problems than the previous ones, I do know the one I have hasn't skipped a beat at all though. If you can afford to spend a bit more, I would look into the Flex and Rupes 21 polishers, they're truly the best out there, but you'll pay for them, as with any world class tools.

I think you'll be very pleased with the results you get from using a dedicated DA polisher, especially on darker colored/black paint. There's really a world of difference in the final finish when compared to a rotary. I honestly wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't gotten one myself, as I was getting great results with a rotary alone, but the DA really took my paint correcting abilities to a whole new level.

Quick Reply: Orbital Buffer