Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels

I'm trying to clean up the incredibly dirty and very pitted barrels of my polished WS6 wheels before I strip and repolish the faces. My first question is, are the barrels clear coated?

I've used mothers foaming wheel and tire cleaner, iron-x, and even 0000 steel wool on them (given the tooled texture on the barrels im not concerned about maring the finish). I'd say the barrels are about 90% clean now but still very pitted. At this point what are my options for getting these barrels back in shape?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If they are pitted you are going to have to sand the barrels to get the pitting out. No chemical you can put on there is going to remove the pitting. However something like Iron X will get a majority of the staining out. I have had really good luck with Adams Deep Wheel cleaner but have never done a comparison against it using Iron X. Adams DWC clings to the wheel letting it dwell a lot longer than what Iron X would.

If they are already bare/polished or you remove the clear coat try using Flitz aluminum pre cleaner. It's and acid based cleaner. Make sure you use it outside. Even using it outside I got down wind of it and it about killed me. LOL.

I did a set of ZR1 wheels for a friend of mine that were really pitted. It came to a point where I said enough.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I confirmed that the wheels are not clear coated on the barrels. Below are some pictures of where I'm at after the foaming wheel and tire cleaner, iron-x, goo off, simple green, and 0000 steel wool. It's not the pitting i'm uphappy with at this point, it's the black spots that still remain between some of the milling. Do you think I have any chance of getting that out? Would you still recommend the Flitz aluminum pre clean? Any other advice?

They are a helluva an improvement but I feel like it could be a bit better still if it weren't for that darn textured surface:
Attached Thumbnails Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels-hpim2767.jpg   Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels-hpim2768.jpg   Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels-hpim2760.jpg   Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels-hpim2761.jpg   Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels-hpim2763.jpg  

Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would still try the Flitz preclean and use a stiff bristle nylon brush to get down into the pitting and try and clean them out.

Quick Reply: Questions about pitted 98-00 WS6 wheels