Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Aftermarket Seats.. What brand? (Yes I tried the search)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Seats.. What brand? (Yes I tried the search)

I've tried the search and still can't find a definite answer to what I'm looking for.

My stock seats have had it.. I'm in the market to buy some new seats.. However being 6' 4" I can't lose any head clearance.

Any seats that sit as low or lower than the stocks.. All help is appreciated.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a huge thread with 6LE and some other links... probably got deleted because it was a non-sponsor
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

I have corbeau sport seats. I am 6'2" and fit fine. Plus they are comfy, and look like a factory seat, which is what I wanted. I am not a fan of racing seats.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

UnVmySs... You don't feel like you lost any head room?

I'm not dead set on race seats.. Just something better than the stocks.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

No I did not lose head room... The only gripe I have on them was the lack of a seatbelt loop. Ordering the seatbelt loops from 6LE solved that problem. I had them sewn on the headrest cover...
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Not to mention they weigh 1/3 of stock seat weight. They're not cheap crap this is Corbeau we're talkin.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option would be factory Trans Am seats. Definitely more comfortable than the Camaro seats and sit the same height.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
I have corbeau sport seats. I am 6'2" and fit fine. Plus they are comfy, and look like a factory seat, which is what I wanted. I am not a fan of racing seats.

Thats a sick look!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of people on the c5 side of things go for Corbaeu A4's once their factory seats kick the rocks. The have a racing seat look and they definitely bolster you in, but they're still really comfortable seats they all say. There's a vendor on the Corvette forum that shaves the base a little shorter too for taller people like yourself.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a set of Corbeau VX2000 seats that I will be putting in my car shortly. I need to get my 6LE seatbelt loops sewn on before they go in though.

If you are serious about getting aftermarket seats, I would suggest ordering a set of the seatbelt loops now because of the chatter about 6LE going out of business. They are only a few bucks and would be easy to sell here in case you don't get aftermarket seats later on.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the issue with the lack of a seatbelt loop on the Corbeau A4 seats? Does it cause the seatbelt to go across your neck or something else?
What mounting brackets did you use and was your head room reduced at all? I run autocross and do not want to lose headroom with a helmet on. Thank you
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Corebeau sport seats aren't terribly priced.
Amazon has them listed for 600 a pair.

Unvmyss - did you use stock rails?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I have a set of Corbeau VX2000 seats that I will be putting in my car shortly. I need to get my 6LE seatbelt loops sewn on before they go in though.

If you are serious about getting aftermarket seats, I would suggest ordering a set of the seatbelt loops now because of the chatter about 6LE going out of business. They are only a few bucks and would be easy to sell here in case you don't get aftermarket seats later on.
IMO - I would pass on the Corbeau VX2000 seats.

There is absolutely no support on either side and the seat part is extremely hard. Even though in the pics there looks like there is a lot of lateral support, there is not, compared to stock seats over any other aftermarket seat. IMO sit in them before you buy.

As for the black vinyl covering - mine has already worn thru on the driver side bolster and I had less that 3500 miles on the car. It is literally a garage queen. See pic where it wore thru.

Corbeau said they would send me the new panels at a reduced price, but I would have to pay a local upholsterer to replace them.

Other Corbeau seats might be fine but the Corbeau VX2000 is over priced based on the fit, comfort, and quality of the vinyl covering.

I'm taking them out and replacing with white leather Camaro seats.

The seat belts will saw your neck off if you don't have something to hold the seat belt in place over your left shoulder.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
Do those fold forwards, in case you want to sit someone in the backseats?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Do those fold forwards, in case you want to sit someone in the backseats?
Yes - they do fold forward allowing entry into the back seat area. I also order the seat sliders from Corbeau for this seat and a Camaro.

I don't doubt Corbeau cloth seats are much more comfortable compared to the Corbeau VX2000. As I said above my main complaint against the VX2000 is lack of lumbar lateral support and the low quality of the vinyl covering. Corbeau told me that they have changed for the better, the vinyl covering in the Corbeau seats, since the vinyl black facing is so thin on what is on mine.

Sit in the VX2000 before you buy.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Corebeau sport seats aren't terribly priced.
Amazon has them listed for 600 a pair.

Unvmyss - did you use stock rails?
When I purchased my VX2000's total cost including shipping was nearly $1000. Stock rails will not work with the VX2000 - so the price included their rails.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Yes - they do fold forward allowing entry into the back seat area. I also order the seat sliders from Corbeau for this seat and a Camaro.

I don't doubt Corbeau cloth seats are much more comfortable compared to the Corbeau VX2000. As I said above my main complaint against the VX2000 is lack of lumbar lateral support and the low quality of the vinyl covering. Corbeau told me that they have changed for the better, the vinyl covering in the Corbeau seats, since the vinyl black facing is so thin on what is on mine.

Sit in the VX2000 before you buy.
I a fully already have mine and noticed the harder padding in them. I figured it was because they are "new" (had them for a couple years now but haven't driven with them much yet) and thought they would break in. I have t tried selling the on here in the past with no luck so I may as well use them. If they really are as terrible as you say, I will look into having them rebuilt to be better.

It's that option or rebuilding the padding and leather on my stock seat which I don't find terribly comfortable either way.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

The best padding is the foam that is used for high quality bicycle seats. The density of the foam in bicycle seats is the same as that of the human body in buttock area.

The early edition of that type of foam would get hard with age. The foam used now on high quality bikes stays pliable and doesn't get hard.

Personally I think you will spend more money getting them recovered that to simply buy new seats similar to those sold on this forum.

IMO in order to make them comfortable the seat builder would have to completely redo the sides for lateral support as well as the panels alongside the hip and outer thigh.

Make sure you have seat belt retainers sewn in if you do recover or modify the seats.

It's possible I guess that the foam hardened with age in my seats just sitting in Corbeau's warehouse. Who knows how long before I purchased. They were already hard and hardly pliable when I got them.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CORBEAU GTS2

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Seats.. What brand? (Yes I tried the search)