Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom Console

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Console

So, I talked about making a custom console. Well I finally got some work done.

Here is the console I bought for a steal at 40 bucks. Was a 45 minute drive but worth it at the price.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Gutted all the junk off it and cleaned it up a bit here is all the junk I wont need:
[IMG][/IMG]

Fixed the flip out holder(works way better than the one currently in my car. Just have to reglue the cup holder rubber gromet things.

Here is my dremel and where I guess I left it last time I used it on my florida porch.....the bit in it is rusted in place and cant get it out. I rigged it up to use a cutting wheel to kinda start the major removal of the parts in the dash I dont need/want. However probably gonna have to buy a new dremel. Stinks cause ive had this one for probably 5 years. Still works great.

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyways no more cup holder or ash tray:

[IMG][/IMG]

Also no more shift pattern plate bs thing, and no more secondary 12volt plug. Im going to reshape if with the contours like it was never there:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Started shaping the frame for my custom console lid cause I refuse to pay 100-200 for a used and 300 for new f'ing console lid:
[IMG][/IMG]

alittle more work:
[IMG][/IMG]

Getting pretty good looking:

The lid frame is intentionally smaller as the cloth and glass will add to the exterior size and I want it to be flush or atleast look OEM not half *** made cause Im a cheap bastard and would rather spend my money on a MGW shifter over lid. Anyways I digress.

Comments suggestions let me know.

I plan to put 2 12volt outlets inside the console and also put a dual 110volt in the console too. I would run a power converter that has the plugs built in. I do plan to put a 12volt outlet facing the passenger low and kinda hidden. Make it easy to plug a phone in on a road trip.

Anyways thanks for looking

Last edited by silent_soul; 07-15-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You mean console not dash right

You could probably get a new collet for your dremel and not need to replace the whole thing.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice project. i want to see how this turns out. i too refuse to pay 300 bucks for a console lid. when mine broke, i took an old computer case door and cut out a piece of sheet metal with tin snips, then beat it on my anvil till i got the rounded shape of the lid, then i slipped the cover over it.
i had no way to fasten it to the hinge though. it just sits on there and works as a temporary fix. how will you mold it to fasten it to the hinges?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You mean console not dash right

You could probably get a new collet for your dremel and not need to replace the whole thing.
ya... sorry about the confusion. Its been a long day lol. Also The part that you loosen and slide down the bit. I cant loosen that. Ill look into replacement parts idk to replace with a comparable model is like 70 bucks so itd have to be a cheap part since a brand new one isnt that much.

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
nice project. i want to see how this turns out. i too refuse to pay 300 bucks for a console lid. when mine broke, i took an old computer case door and cut out a piece of sheet metal with tin snips, then beat it on my anvil till i got the rounded shape of the lid, then i slipped the cover over it.
i had no way to fasten it to the hinge though. it just sits on there and works as a temporary fix. how will you mold it to fasten it to the hinges?
I plan to just cut into the finished fiberglass lid. Basically look stock and id just vacuum form the pieces I need if I cant find anything at the local hardware store. Might even vacuum form some lids if this one turns out good. Sell on the cheap lol.

Last edited by silent_soul; 07-14-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool project! I will be following the build good luck.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting....
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In for progress, but I like what I see so far.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

following, would like to see it finished.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am curious how its all going to turn out. Looking forward to some pics.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

try soaking the tip in pb blaster over night and try to loosen the rust/grime. Worked well for mine I left on the back porch for a month.

Very nice project. Look forward to seeing how you wire up the outlets.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good progress.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
try soaking the tip in pb blaster over night and try to loosen the rust/grime. Worked well for mine I left on the back porch for a month.

Very nice project. Look forward to seeing how you wire up the outlets.
Ive been thinking of getting a cup and doing that, gonna try to get it undone today.

The hardest part to wire up the outlets is going to be that converter as its best to wire to a battery. However I dont wire it directly to the battery as it auto shuts off when you turn the car on however if the car is off and you turn it on it will stay on till the battery dies.

and I really dont want to get stuck anywhere lol.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silent_soul
Ive been thinking of getting a cup and doing that, gonna try to get it undone today.

The hardest part to wire up the outlets is going to be that converter as its best to wire to a battery. However I dont wire it directly to the battery as it auto shuts off when you turn the car on however if the car is off and you turn it on it will stay on till the battery dies.

My plan was to have a flip or rocker switch with an LED that connects power to them all. No drain when nothing is charging and all powered when you need them. Just don't forget to flip that switch.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Launching!

My plan was to have a flip or rocker switch with an LED that connects power to them all. No drain when nothing is charging and all powered when you need them. Just don't forget to flip that switch.
I was thinking of putting a switch in or a light, but the converter has a switch so id feel like im putting a switch on a switch to guard me from my stupidity
Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking of putting a switch in or a light, but the converter has a switch so id feel like im putting a switch on a switch to guard me from my stupidity
I hear ya. My vette has 3 kill switches.

The worst part is how stupid you feel after working on your car and forgetting about them. Most frustrated time trying to start a car ever.

Another solution is to run a dual pass with one working when car is on so it will always be active while the car is running due to a hot wire then another pass with a switch direct to battery for when the car is off.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Launching!

I hear ya. My vette has 3 kill switches.

The worst part is how stupid you feel after working on your car and forgetting about them. Most frustrated time trying to start a car ever.

Another solution is to run a dual pass with one working when car is on so it will always be active while the car is running due to a hot wire then another pass with a switch direct to battery for when the car is off.
I was thinking of wiring it into the chime that comes on when you leave the lights on or keys in.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a high-current relay in the line between the battery and the inverter, and tie that to an ignition (or accessory) power source to trigger it.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Put a high-current relay in the line between the battery and the inverter, and tie that to an ignition (or accessory) power source to trigger it.
Ill look into that, Im gonna have to fab the center lid a different way. Chicken wire refuses to corporate

Alot of wasted time tonight. Anyways im thinking of foam sculpting the lid I want. Then ill vacuum form copies of the foam sculpt. Maybe try some real thick plastic for the vacuum forming. Then fill it with expanding foam. texture it up real nice so it doesnt feel like plastic.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In for final results!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty cool project! Subscribed

Quick Reply: Custom Console