Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

6LE 1987 Grand National 4.8 turbo swap APPEARANCE mods...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 6LE 1987 Grand National 4.8 turbo swap APPEARANCE mods...

Well, after finding out my GN needed a new motor and finding out a built motor, bigger turbo and alky kit would cost me $9k installed AND only make 450ish horsepower I decided to yank the motor and do a 4.8 swap with my buddy Mike W (Swapper on LS1tech). Doing the Edelbrock Performer intake, ported 317s, 224/228 112 cam (cruiser so I wanted lope), T76 turbo probably running 12-15lbs of boost. Should easily d0 500hp but goal is closer to 600hp.

I'm not starting the swap thread yet till it's running (couple weeks away due to parts, waiting on custom cam and head work to be finished) but today when we ran out of stuff to do we started brainstorming with cardboard, lol.

Plans are to debadge it, powder the stock wheels gloss black (already done now), add a splitter, side exhaust (shaped like GNX vents) with matching side skirts and rear skirts (that is actually a complete bottom pan with diffusers). Here's what we came up with, taking to the shop tomorrow to start water jetting the parts...

Our goal with this build is to keep the idea of the Grand National (taking the Buick Regal and throwing at it the fastest GM powertrain we could build and blacking it all out, just going further with the rims) and the GNX (making it more of a muscle/race car in appearance and performance) and just taking it to what we think is the next evolutionary step in that line.

It's also getting a modern spoiler, GNX fender flares and still debating on changing up the hood (will look like a GN hood but bigger bubble, may even make it a shaker IF we can make it functional) and then smooth door handles.

THIS WAS ALL A CARDBOARD MOCK UP. The splitter needs a lot of work design wise but I'll smooth the lines out on the waterjet...

I'll keep this thread update as she gets the real parts... Thoughts? Flame suit on... lol.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This my friends Buick Regal that he built back in the mid-late 90's. It has a 470ci big block Buick engine, Holley 1050 dominator carb, TH400, Ford 9" rear. He built a functional shaker scoop with the help of his dad. The car also sports some body kit- front bumper cover, side skirts, fiberglass rear bumper, and deck spoiler. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of it. He also added the GNX fender vents.

Don't mind the picture quality, these are scans of 4" x 6" photos.....

Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your car to do what you wish with, but how sad. those cars are so rare! why not just do it to an old regal instead!?!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

iffy on splitter. maybe my mind will change when its all done
Old 07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
your car to do what you wish with, but how sad. those cars are so rare! why not just do it to an old regal instead!?!
No their not, lol. More 1987 GNs were made than any others. Not to mention GN was really just an appearance package that year, a blacked out Turbo Regal... It's still a blacked out Turbo Regal It's just a $10K car with $9K in parts on it lol.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Hey 6litereater is there anyway I can contact you apart some parts I want to order this week I'm tried to call the business number but all I get is a old voice mail I need to find out some things before I order I sent a email so if you can if your not to busy hit me back about it when you can thank you
Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Just leave a VM if no answer as we have no way to know you called otherwise...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

looks alot better in person then in pics.

anyways he might not have a build thread but i do. lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-swap-6le.html

Last edited by Swapper; 07-29-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not a fan, the car's original lines were so business it made it beautiful. But it sounds like you're pretty set on putting the body kit on this thing, good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I'm not a fan, the car's original lines were so business it made it beautiful. But it sounds like you're pretty set on putting the body kit on this thing, good luck.
To me having just that front piece...

...looks sooooo unfinished and not beautiful. If I don't like them I can always unbolt them
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
No their not, lol. More 1987 GNs were made than any others. Not to mention GN was really just an appearance package that year, a blacked out Turbo Regal... It's still a blacked out Turbo Regal It's just a $10K car with $9K in parts on it lol.
Relatively speaking GNs are rare. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw one on the road. Again, it's your car to do as you wish! Good luck with the build.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

I know where you are coming from, 90% feel the same way you do. I used to until I owned the car and it got boring fast as far as performance so what started as just an LSswap turned into a modern reinvention and to me it's way cooler than just having sold it and used a normal Regal.

I'm the type of guy who would throw a cowl hood on a real SS just because, lol...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Teching In

There's quite a few in my city, one I see at least once a week. And honestly, could care less how rare it is, it's not my car and if I did have one, it would just make mine more rare... I've heard all the same crap with my aerocoupe. I totally get the purist's but I am not one. I really like where you're heading with this, I have been thinking my Monte needs side skirts of some sort and I really dig how clean and simple your's are going. Keep it up!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Doesn't work for me, and trust me I love your parts...

Your car, you do as you wish
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mark, I kind of agree with the others. A lot can be done with the 3.8 that it came with, just look at what mike (nordyracer)did with his (1000 hp, sub 10 sec) all on 2 bolt main 3.8. As they all said, it's your car, but as a fan of these cars it's a shame to swap out to a different motor platform on an actual Gn.

That being said, it's gonna be bad ***. I might actually come out to bobs to see it when it's done.

Quick Reply: 6LE 1987 Grand National 4.8 turbo swap APPEARANCE mods...