After
41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Plastidipped red lip

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your photoshop is about perfect.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I think your photoshop is about perfect.
Holy ****, that was Photoshopped? HaHa

I liked the full red lip on it...
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've plasti a whole car with the right large sprayer. Point is compared to the rattle can plasti its far better and even coat with no texture. I've played with tints and glossifier. If you shoot the red, I think it will be nice. Just because the product isn't so mainstream doesn't mean its bad. You just have to have the right tools and not make it look like rice. Those guys seem color blind.

I think your taking the wheel thing too far. I've done real nice things on rims with a rattle paint can. Its all in the prep work. The work I've done even lasted a few years and remained very nice. In small areas like a rim, the rattle can does work nice IF done right.

I like the photo shop idea before doing all the work. I've done this myself, if it were me, I wouldn't plasti the rim, I'd rattle paint it especially if I liked the combo.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanSws6
I've plasti a whole car with the right large sprayer. Point is compared to the rattle can plasti its far better and even coat with no texture. I've played with tints and glossifier. If you shoot the red, I think it will be nice. Just because the product isn't so mainstream doesn't mean its bad. You just have to have the right tools and not make it look like rice. Those guys seem color blind.

I think your taking the wheel thing too far. I've done real nice things on rims with a rattle paint can. Its all in the prep work. The work I've done even lasted a few years and remained very nice. In small areas like a rim, the rattle can does work nice IF done right.

I like the photo shop idea before doing all the work. I've done this myself, if it were me, I wouldn't plasti the rim, I'd rattle paint it especially if I liked the combo.
Well I have already plasti dipped one side of the car, grew to not like the idea of painting the whole lip red so the plan now is to take one wheel at a time at a leisurely pace whenever I have time. First I gotta get it down to bare metal, try to grind the fake 3-piece wheel bolts flush and fill in holes with jb weld and grind flush. Then spray a white primer to make smooth surface, want to find a good black metallic flake paint (if i have to buy a compressor and practice spraying with paint guns over rattle cans then Ill do that). I want to try to find a flush centercap that will fit. They spray the whole wheel in black (metal flake I can be happy with). I wanna buy a buegler pinstriping tool to paint the red pinstripe on the edge of the lip. Hopefully I get a thick enough roller for the lip. Once I get a good finish of black and the red pinstripe Im gonna clear and cure. Hopefully after some wet sanding Ill have a pretty decent looking wheel to show off that doesnt have annoying fake *** 3-piece bolts), a crappy center cap and Ill still have my fat rear lip.
The only reason I am thinking about taking on this task is because some dog pissed on one of my front rims and the acid has been breaking down the polished metal lip and some of the black spoke finish. I also want to fix some slight curb rash with jb weld, so I want to get everything done right and looking nice and I don't care if I have to do one wheel every 3 months until I finally graduate from college and can start putting money into my engine and exhaust.

I have such high hopes and so little money and time. So If I attempt this I am going to do it right and make it last. I still havent decided if I should take each wheel up to a shop and get the tire taken off so I can get a clean line over the lip and give the wheel time to cure before putting the tire back on.

Any more suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Criticism is welcome because it helps me in final decision mode lol.

Last edited by jaxcam02; 11-10-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't really like it. If you do, then that's great. To each their own. Black whether it's flat, gloss or whatever is just way to old to me now. IMO Silver/polished/chrome is the way to go now. I'm getting more into silver now myself

(Yes, I'm aware I myself have wheels with a big painted lip. It was put new tires on some stock SS ten spokes, or throw on my wider wheels with already brand new tires)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

God no!!!!

Quick Reply: Plastidipped red lip