Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Effective way to remove glass scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Effective way to remove glass scratches?

Like a windshield or a rear window without replacing the window? Anything that doesn't just create a hazy mess?

Been finding this, but figured I'd ask.

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

Ideas?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

?? ideas?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Im interested as well
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

here try looking before posting a topic exactly like one that was started just 2 weeks ago https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...scratches.html
Old 10-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
here try looking before posting a topic exactly like one that was started just 2 weeks ago https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...scratches.html
To me it kinda looks like everyone in there is talking about hard water, not window scratches.

Bayer, you have to just finely sand it and try to blend it well, then hope it looks good. I would try the kit.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin455
To me it kinda looks like everyone in there is talking about hard water, not window scratches.

Bayer, you have to just finely sand it and try to blend it well, then hope it looks good. I would try the kit.
even then, polishing glass is polishing glass, the reason for it is less important.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

even then, polishing glass is polishing glass, the reason for it is less important.
Cleaning water spots is much different than getting actual scratches out of glass. That's like someone asking how to fix a scratch that goes through the clear and into the basecoat and you link a thread about polishing out swirls in the clear.

There's just no need to be a dick in the first place, even more so when the information you link doesn't help at all.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:17 PM

Cerium oxide will take light scratches. If your fingernail gets hung in the scratch then you will have to basically grind the glass down and then polish. Cerium oxide is also good for hard steer spots and oxidation on glass.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin455
Cleaning water spots is much different than getting actual scratches out of glass. That's like someone asking how to fix a scratch that goes through the clear and into the basecoat and you link a thread about polishing out swirls in the clear.

There's just no need to be a dick in the first place, even more so when the information you link doesn't help at all.
I wasn't being a dick, jackass (now I am), what I was getting at is what appears to be scratches (even feels like em) is often crud that gets on the window from the guides, so cleaning that crap off often gets everything.

but for the record, taking a polishing compound and pad to glass is the same process it's just a matter of how much it takes to get it out if it is truely indeed a real scratch.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

I wasn't being a dick, jackass (now I am), what I was getting at is what appears to be scratches (even feels like em) is often crud that gets on the window from the guides, so cleaning that crap off often gets everything.

but for the record, taking a polishing compound and pad to glass is the same process it's just a matter of how much it takes to get it out if it is truely indeed a real scratch.
Well, danny, you didn't get there very well. Besides, if someone doesn't know a difference between a scratch and hard water spots they probably don't need to take polishing compound to any part of their car. Also, I've a big scratch down my window, feel free to come use a polishing compound on it for as long as you want. You'll spend all your time making it about 3% smaller.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Like a windshield or a rear window without replacing the window? Anything that doesn't just create a hazy mess?

Been finding this, but figured I'd ask.

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

Ideas?
Originally Posted by Brandon Davidson
Cerium oxide will take light scratches. If your fingernail gets hung in the scratch then you will have to basically grind the glass down and then polish. Cerium oxide is also good for hard steer spots and oxidation on glass.
That Eastwood kit you linked is cerium oxide. This will, as Brandon posted, be your best bet at removing light scratches in glass that don't catch your nail. If you have a Rotory or DA buffer you can also look up a product by CarPro called CeriGlass and pick up their glass pads to use with it.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

^ I'll pick up that CeriGlass kit and see how it works. It can't make it worse.

Thanks for the help..
Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ I'll pick up that CeriGlass kit and see how it works. It can't make it worse.

Thanks for the help..
Eh, it is possible to distort/mare glass when polishing it.... trust me lol. Take your time, and go slow at first.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tip for removing hard water spots from glass: #0000 steel wool and white vinegar. The white vinegar will dissolve the deposits.

PLEASE BE SURE you purchase #0000 steel wool. There are many different kinds of abrasive steel wool and this is the finest. This is not the same steel wool you use for doing dishes or whatever else. I also use this and chrome polish to polish my chrome. The steel wool makes things so much easier.

Quick Reply: Effective way to remove glass scratches?