Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing vinyl stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing vinyl stripes?

I want to safely remove these stripes without scratching the paint.What would be the best way?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steam or rubber eraser wheel in a drill, then just clay and polish the paint after to clean everything up
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3M Stripe Off Wheel is awesome, have used several over the years. Body shop supply stores have them. They also remove the double sided adhesive used on trim without any damage.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Heat is your friend. I use a hair dryer on the hottest setting and a friend and slowly peel the vinyl back, Going slowly and completely against the 'grain' if you will of the vinyl. Then I use goo gone on the left over glue. This may not be the best option depending on the strength of the clear coat and the duration of the vinyl on the paint. If you try peeling it off cold or too fast theres potential for paint to come up with the vinyl. Maybe one of the other options above is better for you. Good luck
Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Heat is your friend. I use a hair dryer on the hottest setting and a friend and slowly peel the vinyl back, Going slowly and completely against the 'grain' if you will of the vinyl. Then I use goo gone on the left over glue. This may not be the best option depending on the strength of the clear coat and the duration of the vinyl on the paint. If you try peeling it off cold or too fast theres potential for paint to come up with the vinyl. Maybe one of the other options above is better for you. Good luck
Agreed with above, but with one exception. DO NOT OVERHEAT YOUR PAINT! Too much heat can damage your paint just as much as trying to peel it up cold. Do it in small sections at a time and apply heat for a few seconds, set the dryer aside, and then peel up that section. Then heat up the next part, set the dryer aside, and peel up that next section. Repeat these steps until the vinyl is removed and then follow up with some goo gone as jaxcam02 suggested. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill second the eraser wheel, been using them for years and love them. Just as stated before, dont hit one area too long, keep it moving and dont press so hard youll burn the paint (dont worry it takes a good bit of effort to do so but just words of caution)
Old 11-18-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Agreed with above, but with one exception. DO NOT OVERHEAT YOUR PAINT! Too much heat can damage your paint just as much as trying to peel it up cold. Do it in small sections at a time and apply heat for a few seconds, set the dryer aside, and then peel up that section. Then heat up the next part, set the dryer aside, and peel up that next section. Repeat these steps until the vinyl is removed and then follow up with some goo gone as jaxcam02 suggested. Good luck!

YESS good catch I forgot to mention that. Small sections at a time.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to use heat try steam first, it makes the glue stick to vinyl not the paint. I'd done it both ways and steam is x10 times better. Another member on here said it in another thread and next time a work van came into the body shop I used to work at I used this old wallpaper remover to get some hot steam on it and it pulled off like butter.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much is the equipment to steam it off and what exactly u need. Ive never gone in depth in this kind of removal
Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used a crappy wall paper remover I've had for 15 years. Before I learned about steam I would set a jet heater on a ladder pointing at the side of the van (we did lots of work vans) and heat it up that way. It would get the side warm and it wouldn't be hot enough to harm the paint. You could just have to go back and clean up left over spots of glue.

If you know someone with a steam cleaner that will work, hot *** steam is hot though make sure to wear some gloves.

Quick Reply: Removing vinyl stripes?