Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!! Any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!! Any interest?

I had the thought while on Christmas vacation to make a grille for Trans Ams. You would CUT YOUR BUMPER, and insert this piece. It would have a lip so after you cut the hole, this would install (the lip would cover the edges) and then be recessed.

It would have HONEY COMB mesh and come in two options, one WITH holes for the foglights cut out and one WITHOUT (for people running large FMICs).

The shape would basically be a widened front license plate shape (as far as we can go before getting into the lines of the turn signals) and have a center piece to mimic the center of the bumper nostrils and give it a 70's/Heritage Trans Am look...

It would look like this but would be an insert for the stock bumper and again have a HONEYCOMB mesh...

Is this something you guys would even be interested in?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm pretty good with visualizing things.. but I'm fairly stumped here. I'd say, go to the junk yard and get a firebird front bumper to do this on. take some pics of the process and end result. then report back. This is one of those mods where the PROCESS sounds like the killer in getting people to bite. I can't really bring myself to the thought of cutting up the front bumper, the most prominent part of the car.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything in your post sounds good, mainly because of that beautiful intercooler in the picture.

I'd definitely have to see a photoshop of the exact thing you're describing to understand it better.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I LOVE it!!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
i'm pretty good with visualizing things.. but I'm fairly stumped here. I'd say, go to the junk yard and get a firebird front bumper to do this on. take some pics of the process and end result. then report back. This is one of those mods where the PROCESS sounds like the killer in getting people to bite. I can't really bring myself to the thought of cutting up the front bumper, the most prominent part of the car.
Using a firebird bumper to do something like this was the idea I posted in the other "idea thread".

here are some pics I've collected on this concept (none of these are mine).
Attached Thumbnails New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!!  Any interest?-6fbefd34b64e7890b8b412fa5ceb8c3b.jpg   New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!!  Any interest?-f7f7013117e1895019fc5da3570813cb.jpg   New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!!  Any interest?-bp-4.jpg   New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!!  Any interest?-2003heritageta20.jpg   New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!!  Any interest?-2525094266_09f98d2fd8.jpg  

Old 01-03-2014, 02:05 AM
Teching In

I wonder how'd a single and smaller oval look instead? Like the 97+ Miatas or the calloway C6.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rcerex
I wonder how'd a single and smaller oval look instead? Like the 97+ Miatas or the calloway C6.
it's been Photoshopped before, and is hideous. Looks like to tried to fit a 98+ camaro bumper to the car. The heritage of the car dictates it must be 2 openings, it's ALWAYS been 2 openings on any generation firebird that had anything even remotely like this.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Using a firebird bumper to do something like this was the idea I posted in the other "idea thread".

just don't see this working too well expecting people to be able to cut their own bumpers up. I'm pretty familiar with all of those cars you posted, only the black one was actually a custom cut bumper, right? doubt your average joe will be able to cut it up and do the necessary body work to create a finished looking product. especially keeping everything symmetrical and all.

this is definitely something where someone needs to do this.. for real, not photoshop, document it, and then put it out there to show people if it's actually doable.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

just don't see this working too well expecting people to be able to cut their own bumpers up. I'm pretty familiar with all of those cars you posted, only the black one was actually a custom cut bumper, right? doubt your average joe will be able to cut it up and do the necessary body work to create a finished looking product. especially keeping everything symmetrical and all.

this is definitely something where someone needs to do this.. for real, not photoshop, document it, and then put it out there to show people if it's actually doable.
I just cant visualize it looking good at all, not with the body lines of the 4th gen, maybe someone can surprise me but its gonna take alot to make it look acceptable. And your right, photoshop just wont do it for this
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

That black T/A looks sweet!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will actually be extremely easy. We'll make the actual product before we post to sell since it is something we can make in house.

Finished idea is this...

1) Tape template to your bumper.

2) Cut out area template outlines (dremel or even a razor/boxcutter will work).

3) Bolt in grille.

That simple. This will be a ONE PIECE design but a grille/insert that has a lip and center divider so the two openings are still kidney shape.

Two options as well. One full honeycomb, one honeycomb with holes for the foglights in the factory spot.

It will come satin black, gloss black or hammertone black (to look like textured plastic) or RAW for those that want to paint it body color.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some i like some i dont, the white/blue with shaker it looks killer. if i had a stock t/a i wouldnt like it, if i had an intercooler up there id love it.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Id like to see a prototype.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by a98ws6
Id like to see a prototype.
I would also. Definitely sound interesting. I would be interested in a bumper that went flush up to the headlights like the black one posted.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Curious & Interested in seeing this as well.

southernfbody.com
Old 01-04-2014, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

I love the black one too. I'm interested...to see this develop more.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

in for more pics and just more info .
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the idea is awesome and the pic in the first post is ideal if you can get it close to looking like that
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe a dumb question, but how would this affect the car's aerodynamics? The holes look pretty wide and I can see air getting past the radiator and turbulent air being all over the place. I know nothing about airflow, though, just asking.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the grill should be recessed like an inch or 2

Quick Reply: New GRILLE for Trans Am... Yes, Grille!!! Any interest?