Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Projector headlights

Just wanted to show my projector headlights I got and see if anyone else has the same ones or a different type of headlights. I purchased them from ebay not too long ago. They are the black dual CCFL halo projectors. I didn't hook up the halo rings or the LEDs on the sides just because I personally think they look stupid. I only wanted these for the soul purpose of having projector headlamps. The headlights came with a 10k HID kit which is very deep blue. I also have Green HID fogs that I just installed. Plz give me any feedback and post pics of your setups!

I had 6k HID Fogs in these last two

Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 AM
TECH Veteran

The color temperatures look pretty cheap and out of place in my opinion. They aren't at maximum lighting efficiency either. I would not go any higher than 6000K on the headlights and no higher than 5000K on the fog lights. 4300K-5000K is perfect for the low beams and the fogs IMO. That's about as close as one can get to stock HID lighting (BMWs and other cars with factory installed HID lighting for example). The factory temperature for low beams is 4300K, which is pure white (NOTHING looks better IMO), and the fog lights are 3000K, which emits yellow light and provides maximum performance in actual fog.

If you want maximum efficiency from the from lows and fogs, 4300K (low beams) and 3000K (fog lights) will be the temperatures you should buy.,.,.

I went with 4500K (pure white) on the low beams and fog lights on my 2001 Camaro, and they matched nearly perfect. They don't look cheap and/or out of place at all.,.,.

As for the headlights themselves, they look cheap and out of place on Camaros IMO. The best looking aftermarket projector headlights are the Sonar ones, which don't have as many useless LEDs and/or ridges throughout the housing. Nothing looks better than stock, whistler-modded, and retro-fitted factory lights...IMO

Sonar:

Here is a thread about them with more pictures than I have included: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...cfl-halos.html

Last edited by Ls1CamaroGuy87; 01-09-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

Thank you Ls1CamaroGuy87 for your constructive criticism. I completely agree that the temperature of the HIDs are definitely not close to the light output of the 4300k which is stock on all HID projector headlights. To be honest, I got the 10k and green Hids more for the the way the colors look and not because I wanted to get the most light output possible. Because I did the high beam mod, where my high and low beams will both stay on, I wasn't worried about needing the most light possible in really dark areas because my high plus low beam together puts out an extreme amount. And as far as the Sonars, I didn't like the way those looked as much as the ones I have. I wouldn't have wired the CCFLs anyway just cuz i dont like the look of it. However, after purchasing mine, I found out that the Sonars use an H1 bulb for the low beams and mine use an H3 bulb which is typically used in fog lights. So I was kinda pissed knowing that the Sonars where going to put out a better and more wide light output. If I would have found that out before I already swapped the headlights onto my car, I would have traded them. But putting these new lights in was so difficult trying to get them situated in perfectly. In the future I would love to get a pair of retro fitted headlights with morimoto minis but I just couldn't afford it at the time. If anyone else has any input on my setup plz share it with me and keep posting pics of what ever you guys are rolling with!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had these at one point and I could not stand the lack of light output even with HIDs. I ended up going back to stock lights that I whistlered and halogens. If I were to go projectors again I would either retrofit or go with the BLS kit.

I was using 4300K when I had these projectors.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

change the headlight bulbs to 5000k and the foglight bulbs to 3000k

would look a million times better and you can see a million times farther
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive had two pairs of ebay projector headlights and both were absolutely terrible with the angles and intensity of the light output. I didn't have the HID kit in any but the overall quality of the projectors and high beam were terrible. I drove from FL the NC in a tropical system at night and all I can say is that I was using other cars for their headlamps to see the highway. If I go projectors again I am going to spend the time and money to retrofit a good pair of projectors in the whistlered stock housings I replaced the ebay headlamps with. They just look damn good and you know has great light output.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I agree. I wanted to get a pair from BLS or retrofit the original ones but I didn't have the money at the time to afford that. I'm hoping to get a pair in the future. But like I said, I have the 10k and green hids mainly for just the way they look and not to get the absolute best light output of a 4300k hid.

I have wired the low beams to stay on with the high beams, and I also dissembled the fog light projectors and removed the shield guard. So even though the 10k and green hids aren't as bright as 4300k and 3000k, with the mods I've done, they put out a great deal of light for the color temperatures they are.

But if I ever do get some retrofitted ones with morimotos I definitely will be using the proper HID temperature for the HID projectors. Until then, I'll just stick with what I have because I personally like the way they are, just for the looks.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Feel free to show me your guys lights too!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Since you started 2 nearly identical threads, see my comments in your other thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...your-hids.html

Quick Reply: Projector headlights