Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Camaro R8 Style Head light issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
I have gone through tons of setups lol i also had a phase of wanting halos and i did them on stock lights.

zero modifications are needed for the retrofit with morimoto minis. pretty straightforward direct swap. if it wasnt for sanding/polishing my lenses its 30 mins job lol.
I won't lie. Those are bad ***! But the price for the headlights is just out of my price range. Another downfall for me is I like RDL's as well. I did find a pair of R8 style's with CCFL's in them. Sadly they are from SpecD.. And due to the customer service I got from them recently is making me want to avoid them. Plus the cut-off issue is probably the same as well..

But thanks for sharing, the car looks completely bad *** with those red halo's! I'm actually trying to find a way to get red's for my 79 vette near impossible task. Either way, love the look.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Are the len's easy to reach when modding these headlights? Like, are they screwed in from the back of the assembly? Or do you have to take the front's off?

I do want to improve my lighting. So I am considering HID kits from some of the sites you mentioned. I don't need anything crazy advanced. Just a little improvement would be great. My concern is how hard is it to install this stuff lol. I'm going to do a little more research in the FAQ section here as well as hidplanet, but any tips would be great!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You need to bake open the headlights to remove the outer clear lens to get to the projectors.

A projector is not just a thick half sphere glass lens. It is an assembly consisting of a glass lens, cut-off shield, and reflector bowl. its designed to work together as one unit with tight tolerances.

If you are going through the trouble of opening those headlights, you should replace the projectors with something better instead of bothering to tinker with the sub-par ones that came in there.

Also, as for getting blue headlight bulbs to match your paint.... that's bad logic. Headlights are a safety item and you should strive for best output. If you had red paint, would you get red headlight bulbs?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
This is exactly what I need! Thank you for posting this. I'm looking for 10k deep blue as well. Those look very good! Do they custom headlights of your choice or all are OEM?

I'll have to take a look. Thanks again.
No worries! I also went with the 10k blue HIDs for the appearance factor. I have had many people compliment my lights just because it's not every day you see someone with projector headlights that have that deep blue 10k color. I very well understood that 10k blue light output was not gonna be nearly as bright as a 4300k or 5000k. But after having them for a couple months, I can tell you that it does put out enough light to definitely be able to drive around at night. With that said, it doesn't compare to the brightness as 4300k or 5000k.

I like the color that the 10k puts out with my Green fog lights. So if want the very blue color mainly for the appearance with mediocre light output, totally go with the 10k.

If you don't care if the color is not blue and simply want the best light output, go with the 4300k or 5000k.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally I don't understand trying to have headlight color to match the car's color. The point of the headlights is to see where you're going. Personally whenever I see colored lights I think it looks cheap. Just my opinion.

I hear you on the full custom BLS headlights being a bit pricey when adding all the options, but they're worth it IMO. That's what I have in my sig pic. Quad projectors (almost purely for appearance!), halo rings (yeah call me a "ricer" I like them, deal with it ), painted totally black inside, etc... Cost me a relative fair bit but that's OK. To have them come out the way I wanted doing it myself would have taken ages. I did my own double retrofit on my Trailblazer with some other custom work done and it took me forever, which is why I paid BLS to do it so I'd have it ready to go in a decent amount of time! Quad projectors with HIDs in all four for the high beams make it like daylight at night
Old 01-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
You need to bake open the headlights to remove the outer clear lens to get to the projectors.

A projector is not just a thick half sphere glass lens. It is an assembly consisting of a glass lens, cut-off shield, and reflector bowl. its designed to work together as one unit with tight tolerances.

If you are going through the trouble of opening those headlights, you should replace the projectors with something better instead of bothering to tinker with the sub-par ones that came in there.

Also, as for getting blue headlight bulbs to match your paint.... that's bad logic. Headlights are a safety item and you should strive for best output. If you had red paint, would you get red headlight bulbs?
Ah, I see. A process in which I would have no idea on doing lol. But if I were to do that I would for sure switch out the bulbs and len's for some retrofit stuff. Might as well right? But again, don't think I have the talent to do this. Plus working 2 jobs and having my camaro as a DD limits my time .

As for the lights, I understand were your coming from. And you're absolutely correct. But I just want a little style to the car. I just think dark blue lights would be cool and give my camaro a different look unlike the others around my area. I guess I used "matching the color" as a bad reason. But I just kinda want an exotic look. But you're right, safety is a concern that should be addressed. I live in the city so not many dark area's.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
No worries! I also went with the 10k blue HIDs for the appearance factor. I have had many people compliment my lights just because it's not every day you see someone with projector headlights that have that deep blue 10k color. I very well understood that 10k blue light output was not gonna be nearly as bright as a 4300k or 5000k. But after having them for a couple months, I can tell you that it does put out enough light to definitely be able to drive around at night. With that said, it doesn't compare to the brightness as 4300k or 5000k.

I like the color that the 10k puts out with my Green fog lights. So if want the very blue color mainly for the appearance with mediocre light output, totally go with the 10k.

If you don't care if the color is not blue and simply want the best light output, go with the 4300k or 5000k.
Agreed! That's why I want them. I had a feeling they won't be as bright, not even as bright as crystal blue. I can only imagine how bad 12k must be . But either way, did you use any HID kits? Any recommendations to at least slightly improve the lights?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Personally I don't understand trying to have headlight color to match the car's color. The point of the headlights is to see where you're going. Personally whenever I see colored lights I think it looks cheap. Just my opinion.

I hear you on the full custom BLS headlights being a bit pricey when adding all the options, but they're worth it IMO. That's what I have in my sig pic. Quad projectors (almost purely for appearance!), halo rings (yeah call me a "ricer" I like them, deal with it ), painted totally black inside, etc... Cost me a relative fair bit but that's OK. To have them come out the way I wanted doing it myself would have taken ages. I did my own double retrofit on my Trailblazer with some other custom work done and it took me forever, which is why I paid BLS to do it so I'd have it ready to go in a decent amount of time! Quad projectors with HIDs in all four for the high beams make it like daylight at night
I just don't want the car to look off. And the way the exterior is going to be eventually, I just think a head light color that doesn't go with it just makes it look weird. Just my opinion of course. But I see your point about headlights, you're 100% right on that.

I'm sure the BLS stuff is worth it. I would hope so for those prices. I would be more interested if they custom more than just stock housings. The stock headlight just isn't my style. Even though a lot of peoples camaro's on here look damn good with them on. I think it'd look weird with mine. But I won't find out till I get rid of the ugly weird wheels, stupid rice spoiler, and tail lights (which are on their way, got some LED red/clear tail lights.) But yeah, I can't customize stuff for **** lol, and your setup does sound sick. And don't worry I love halo's, to me there not ricey in the least.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll try to remember to grab a decent daylight pic of mine, once the snow melts off the lights enough to see them. The car is currently hibernating for the winter under a snow drift
Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'll try to remember to grab a decent daylight pic of mine, once the snow melts off the lights enough to see them. The car is currently hibernating for the winter under a snow drift
Lol alright, that'd be great. And sometimes I wish I didn't dd my camaro. Hate seeing her go on salted roads. But hopefully I'll have a 3rd car which will only be a winter car. Problem is, where to keep the damn thing.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Launching!

Stupid question guys, is changing your headlights color's a easy job? Found a different pair of headlights, but don't have a choice with the HID color.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's just a bulb. $20 for a pair or something like that.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Alright, thanks SparkyJJO. Looks like they just screw in, so should be pretty easy.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
Agreed! That's why I want them. I had a feeling they won't be as bright, not even as bright as crystal blue. I can only imagine how bad 12k must be . But either way, did you use any HID kits? Any recommendations to at least slightly improve the lights?
The headlights I bought came with the 10k hid bulbs and I already had a pair of ballasts from my hids i had in my stock headlights.

As far as a recommendation for improving the lights, What i did was do the high beam mod where my high and low beams stay on at the same time.

For my green hid fogs, I removed the whole fog lamp housings and opened up the projector lens. There is a shield lens inside the projectors that blocks half of the light from the bulbs. I removed the shields and then sealed the projectors back up.

Because Camaros are already low to the ground, the extra light from the fogs isn't going to blind other drivers. But the difference between with the shields in and without the shields is humongous!!!

Good luck and keep us posted on which lights you decide to get!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Removing the cut-off shields from the fog projectors is a bad idea. Yes it will glare. You now have nearly driving lights instead of fog lights.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
Removing the cut-off shields from the fog projectors is a bad idea. Yes it will glare. You now have nearly driving lights instead of fog lights.
I thought it would glare, so after I mounted the fogs back, I had my girlfriend drive in front of me and driving toward me and she said the light from the fogs wasn't glaring at all. If it had been glaring, I would of put the shields back in.

We tested it with two cars, one that was a lot taller than my camaro and another that was just as low. In both cars there was no glare so I kept the shields off.

I've had them off for months and have never had anyone flash their lights at me or anything.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it would glare, so after I mounted the fogs back, I had my girlfriend drive in front of me and driving toward me and she said the light from the fogs wasn't glaring at all. If it had been glaring, I would of put the shields back in.

We tested it with two cars, one that was a lot taller than my camaro and another that was just as low. In both cars there was no glare so I kept the shields off.

I've had them off for months and have never had anyone flash their lights at me or anything.
it actually DOES glare. just because you didnt get flashed doesnt mean it doesnt glare. please check them again and have her drive and you visualize.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
it actually DOES glare. just because you didnt get flashed doesnt mean it doesnt glare. please check them again and have her drive and you visualize.
We did that believe it or not just because I wanted to see what the fogs look like from someone else perspective. I wish I had taken a pic so you can see from the view of another diver.

Maybe I just lucked out because you would think it would be blinding for others but it just isn't in my case. Maybe it has something to do with my hids being green and not a brighter temp like 4300k.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

If you thought the fogs were dim before, it was probably due to burnt bowls. The reflective surface on the bowl in those small projectors tends to burn-up/peal-off with use which leads to dim output. How did the bowls look when you opened them? Shiny mirror or dull/dark? Either way, weather you believe it or not, without the shields, they do glare.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did that believe it or not just because I wanted to see what the fogs look like from someone else perspective. I wish I had taken a pic so you can see from the view of another diver.

Maybe I just lucked out because you would think it would be blinding for others but it just isn't in my case. Maybe it has something to do with my hids being green and not a brighter temp like 4300k.
well, I dont know how is that possible. there was a guy who did it before, check out the video and notice how it glares while hes standing NEAR the car even though the projector is tucked under the bumper they do glare. its literally having a bulb exposed in your bumper. as VIP1 said..the projector is all burnt up and dirty only way ive seen to restore it is to paint it with high temp chrome paint which i doubt even works.

notice the hot spots all over the wall. this is terribly awful.

Quick Reply: Camaro R8 Style Head light issue