Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which color demon eyes should i pick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They wont get anywhere near 2k degrees lol 250 MAYBE. I think I used the same paint you listed.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
They wont get anywhere near 2k degrees
Yea haha. The highest heat plastic in the headlamp assembly, which is the poly-carbonate lens, melts at 500 degrees. The housing will melt at 350 degrees.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to autozone and picked up some red high heat paint. The only one they had in red was 900 degrees so I got that. It is brake caliber paint. I'm hoping the red is bright enough to show up in the lens when you look at it. Will be posting the pics in the write up when I get my projectors on Friday. I also picked up some and in one satin black paint with primer so I can start on the headlight housings.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
I went to autozone and picked up some red high heat paint. The only one they had in red was 900 degrees so I got that. It is brake caliber paint. I'm hoping the red is bright enough to show up in the lens when you look at it. Will be posting the pics in the write up when I get my projectors on Friday. I also picked up some and in one satin black paint with primer so I can start on the headlight housings.
Careful with the lighter shades of red, when seen through the projector lens it looks lighter than it actually is. A darker shade of red to start with will give you a nice blood color. First time I did mine it looked watered down in the sun, went a shade darker and now its a nice full red. After you paint the shield lightly sand the top edge of it to knock off any loose over spray, don't want your cut-off line distorted.

You running hi/low off the H1 or just low?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Careful with the lighter shades of red, when seen through the projector lens it looks lighter than it actually is. A darker shade of red to start with will give you a nice blood color. First time I did mine it looked watered down in the sun, went a shade darker and now its a nice full red. After you paint the shield lightly sand the top edge of it to knock off any loose over spray, don't want your cut-off line distorted.

The red color I got isn't too dark or too bright so I should be ok. I plan on just masking off the top of the shield before I paint it that way no paint gets on the cutoff line at all. I bought some Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 and they are bi-xenon, so I will be running high and low beam from the projectors and the other high beam from the stock high beam housing. Pics to follow in a new thread once I get my projectors on Friday. I will be doing an extensive write up!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Also, do you have any pics of your projectors with the shields painted? I'd love to be able to have a comparison.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks everyone! Seems red is the winner. It is legal to have red painted shields as you can only see the red in the reflection of the lens from certain angles depending on how the light is hitting them. It is illegal to have red LEDs in the projector and having red demon eyes at night. And no, It is an appearance mod and does not affect the light output as long as you only paint the side of the shield that is facing the lens. Keep the opinions coming guys! I will be getting my projectors probably on Tuesday so there's still time for me to deside what color paint to buy!
id be interested to see how its done..i would totally do them to my retrofitted mini H1s.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
id be interested to see how its done..i would totally do them to my retrofitted mini H1s.
Here is a reference that I'll be using.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/fi...it.7466/page-2
Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Teching In

I'm assuming the only projectors that will fit our cars are the mini H1s?

I kind of like some of the other shrouds on retrofit, but I'm not sure they'd fit our housings. It looks like 99% of the retro fit conversions are using the minis projectors followed with the mini shrouds

Red is gonna look great op, I'm excited to see how this turns out
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not the only one that fits, its just by far the easist one to use as it needs virtually no fabrication skills at all. If you step up to something like a 3" fxr you need to beable to fabricate a way to mount it in the housing. Our housings are big enough to use a 3" projector though.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ShreddedMaro
I'm assuming the only projectors that will fit our cars are the mini H1s?

I kind of like some of the other shrouds on retrofit, but I'm not sure they'd fit our housings. It looks like 99% of the retro fit conversions are using the minis projectors followed with the mini shrouds

Red is gonna look great op, I'm excited to see how this turns out
Ya I got the mini Gatling gun shrouds that are like $15 and they fit on the morimoto mini with 4 screws. Other shrouds do require come grinding but these fit it our headlights with no modification needed. And the projector just screws into where the factory bulb would go. That is why most people go with the minis. They are basically plug and play. I will have plenty of pictures in my write up so you can see.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a reference that I'll be using.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/fi...it.7466/page-2
where is the part where they put a red paint/light? i dont get it. do you paint the solenoid red? and it reflects off? more info please.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

You paint the whole side of it, except for the sides of the solenoid and the spring. Just mask off those parts and I am even going to mask of the tippy top of the cutoff shield so I don't get any lumps of paint to effect the cutoff from being razor sharp. This is the whole thing painted a daskish gray. He picked gray, but you can paint it red like I will be doing.

There is another example without the solenoid painted. Basically the more surface area that's painted, the more of a reflection of red will be seen through the lens.

End result
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Teching In

I'd throw an LED back behind the shield, really seems to make the eye glow

here's a pretty in depth write-up I was checking out

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...Halos-Red-LEDs

Last edited by 00ShreddedMaro; 02-21-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by 00ShreddedMaro
I'd throw an LED back behind the shield, really seems to make the eye glow

here's a pretty in depth write-up I was checking out

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...Halos-Red-LEDs

It seems you and I were looking at the same write ups. I considered the LED idea but I decided against it in the end. It definitely makes the red stand out a lot better but I don't think that is the approach I am going for. I don't wanna over do it, ya know? I think the all black headlights and shrouds with the red painted shields will balance each other out. I think it looks bad *** on the dudes Evo but it just isn't for me. Maybe if I threw my CCFL halo from my ebay projectors on, then I would do the LED cuz it seems to look awesome with you also have halos.

My projectors will be here today but they are coming via UPS which doesn't normally deliver to my house until like 5:00 pm. Once they arrive, I have to paint the shields red and paint the shrouds black before I can seal them up into the headlights. So in all likelihood my write up won't be done until Saturday which is when I will probably finish getting the lights on the car and aimed perfectly.

I will keep you guys posted on this thread and let you know when the new write up thread will be up! I will try to make it as detailed as possible. Here is a sneak peak of what I have done so far...
Painted Satin Black
Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Well I just checked the tracking number to see if the projectors were at least in the state I live in, and it says ''Adverse Weather Conditions'' and the projectors are in Illinois. The status before that was saying that they were departing out of Illinois 3 days ago. Needless to say, I am pretty pissed right now. Looks like I won't be getting my projectors tomorrow. Hopefully by Saturday but if not then I will have to wait for the NEXT week. I purchased these from TheRetrofitSource on the 12th and it is now the 21st. I am going to contact them and see what they can offer me because this just is BS...

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-26-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor link removed.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would contact UPS first before going to TRS. I've had some shipping issues that were product related with TRS but for this situation, the carrier will need to resolve the problem.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shipping issues unfortunately are unavoidable throught much of the US thanks all the major winter storms in the south, midwest and northeast. Everyone is so backlogged its gonna take a while to work itself out. I deal with it daily.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

I am going to contact ups here in a minute. I wonder how long it is going to take for me to get my package. Illinois is still bacisally on the other side of the country from Washington. I checked the tracking number again and it still says the same thing. This really sucks because I have today and tomorrow off work and it would have allowed me to have the time needed to do this retrofit and write up. Looks like it is going to have to be another week. Sorry guys
Old 02-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Ain't really a big deal as long as it looks good in the end

Quick Reply: Which color demon eyes should i pick?