Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do the 98-02 Camaro Door Switches Fit the 98-02 Trans Am Switch Bezels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do the 98-02 Camaro Door Switches Fit the 98-02 Trans Am Switch Bezels?

I've been brainstorming ideas to customize my interior but keeping it stock looking to non F-body people. So I was looking through parts on ebay and discovered that the switches in the Camaro are black while my T/A's are ugly light grey. I have a full ebony interior and I'm trying to make it as black as possible, (blacker than the blackest black, so metal!) So far it looks like the only ones that aren't common to both cars are the TCS and mirror adjustment switches, which is not a big deal to me.

So, will the Camaro switches fit my T/A?

Also, will the LT1 Camaro Switches fit as well? They have sharper angled sides and I kinda like that better than the more rounded LS1 switches.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The Camaro switches do snap into the TA bezels just fine. But, the switches are alot smaller so you are left with big gaps. I used a plastic filler which is like bondo but for flexible plastic and rebuilt the holes to go with the Camaro switches. Then re-textured and re-painted the bezels ebony. I had converted all the switches in my old Trans Am to black. Yes the LT1 switches. I had a problem with the window switch in my 2000 SS and replaced it with a spare I had from old 94 Z.

Heres the rest of all my black switch conversion. Excuse the ugly steering wheel. I did this conversion back in like 2004, and loved the new at the Grand Prix steering wheel because the rim was so much thicker than the puny TA steering wheel Looking at now, it looks ugly as f!!k. The radio was a double din built in 6 disc changer radio from a 03 Pontiac Vibe. I painted the power window switch, AC *****, fog light switch, headlight switch and rear defrost button. The dimmer wheel by the headlight switch is from a 97-02 Camaro. Radio control buttons were from a 2004 Bonneville GXP.

Last edited by LT4vert; 02-27-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT4vert
The Camaro switches do snap into the TA bezels just fine. But, the switches are alot smaller so you are left with big gaps. I used a plastic filler which is like bondo but for flexible plastic and rebuilt the holes to go with the Camaro switches. Then re-textured and re-painted the bezels ebony. I had converted all the switches in my old Trans Am to black. Yes the LT1 switches. I had a problem with the window switch in my 2000 SS and replaced it with a spare I had from old 94 Z.
Ahh, so the LT1 era switches are smaller, do you know if the LS1 era switches are smaller too? From product photos on ebay they look identical to the T/A ones except for the color.

Also, how did you get the black mirror adjustment switch?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

No the LS1 era switches are smaller too. They just changed the radius on the edges to be a little more rounded. All Pontiac switches remained the same size as well.

For the power mirror and AC ***** I masked of the white areas and painted. I went to automotive paint supplies store locally and them match the ebony paint color using a matte finish DuPont interior paint. I sprayed the paint with these small aerosol jars they sold, so I did not need a paint gun.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Launching!

No the LS1 era switches are smaller too. They just changed the radius on the edges to be a little more rounded. All Pontiac switches remained the same size as well.

For the power mirror and AC ***** I masked of the white areas and painted. I went to automotive paint supplies store locally and them match the ebony paint color using a matte finish DuPont interior paint. I sprayed the paint with these small aerosol jars they sold, so I did not need a paint gun.
Ahh, that's too bad. I'm not looking to modify anything structurally, I do have a hobby airbrush though, maybe I could just paint my switches, or other interior parts.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will snap in but are smaller than the Pontiac switches so they have small gaps all around. It doesn't look horrible, but it bothered me enough to leave the Pontiac switches in until I do something like lt4vert did.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by madhatter
They will snap in but are smaller than the Pontiac switches so they have small gaps all around. It doesn't look horrible, but it bothered me enough to leave the Pontiac switches in until I do something like lt4vert did.
Hmm... Here's a question, are the gaps large enough to let light in? What if You mounted LED backlighting behind the camaro switches in a T/A. Do you think it would make the edges glow?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The gaps are large enough to be pretty unsightly. The gaps are not unifom. The side to side width of the ponitac and chevy switches are the same. The gaps are at the front and back of the switch. I did a quick illustration pictured below of how the camaro switch sits in the pontiac bezel. Our old style electronics (i.e a 30 amp window switches) leave a rats nest of large gauge wires crammed into a small opening, it would really challenging to try to work some kind of backlight solution into all that without wanting to put a gun to your head
Attached Thumbnails Do the 98-02 Camaro Door Switches Fit the 98-02 Trans Am Switch Bezels?-untitled-3.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing I want to do to mine eventually is rewire that whole mess with relay packs and such so the wiring to the switches is smaller, and change the switches so some nice backlit ones.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
One thing I want to do to mine eventually is rewire that whole mess with relay packs and such so the wiring to the switches is smaller, and change the switches so some nice backlit ones.
Its funny you mention that. Ive had my nerd electronics cap on for the past day trying to figure a cost effective method of doing that. Its not like I have my door panels off alot but it'd be nice to rid all that heavy gauge wire going to the switches. I have no problem fabricating in any switch I would want want into the bezel, but the wiring gets rough. Most window switches in newer cars and almost all cars from GM from 05-present are using can-bus type wiring. Its a pulses signal not compatible with 12 volts, so that eliminates alot of what you can use. I like some of the late 90's to mid 2000's Audi/VW switches, they use small wires, are backlit, are small enough to fit on our small bezels and are not can bus. Now to just design a circuit that uses the switch to just act as a switch for a relay rather than having to pass all the higher current through the switch on the way to the window motor. It crazy seeing those big *** old school copper leads on our switches lol. Most new window/lock switch circuits are using what looks to be 18-22 gauge wire now and a pretty compact connector.

If you put together a circuit that works PM me. Im pretty deep in another project and wont be getting to something like this for awhile.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The circuit should be easy. Simply buy the autotrix kit for the passenger side, and the autotrix express down kit for the driver side

I'd plan on removing the panel and mounting the relay packs somewhere else behind it, to help keep the wiring cleaned up.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm planning a cheaper route, after of much disappointment from grabbing camaro switches that were too small.Im going to paint my trans am switches black, and then get some small stickers to go on there and then use a crystal clear coat over those, Ive already upgraded the door handle lights to LEDs so the illumination is pretty good as is.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing the same thing. Replacing all the gray switches and *****. Looks so much better with the rest of my interior.

I even got the hvac controls from a camaro and disassembled it and combined it with the firebird one.
Bonus! The camaro ***** have backlit pointers. I could never see where the hvac controls were pointing before if it was dark.

Just noticed how old this thread is.....
:-/
Old 05-10-2016, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should post pics of whole interior
Old 05-11-2016, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should post pics of whole interior
I'll have to take some more pics.
I need to get some black carpet and figure out what to put in my pillar pod.

Last edited by fbody_brian; 05-11-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks clean and sexy!

Quick Reply: Do the 98-02 Camaro Door Switches Fit the 98-02 Trans Am Switch Bezels?