Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

9006 LED bulbs in Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 9006 LED bulbs in Trans Am

I have converted my low beams to the LMC truck housings and am running the 9006 halogen bulbs currently. I want to swap them out for an LED bulb instead of an HID and it seems all the kits I'm finding have either a large heat sink or fan assembly behind the bulb like the picture below. When I look at the car it seem like this might hit the frame of the car when the lights flip up or down. Has anyone been able to run a 9006 bulb? Any issues?

Old 05-05-2016, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anybody has, and that is half the reason none of us that have thought about it have tried, I just don't see there being clearance there.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I don't think anybody has, and that is half the reason none of us that have thought about it have tried, I just don't see there being clearance there.
Thanks, I was hoping somebody actually tried it or at least measured the bulbs and clearance. I guess I'll just play it safe and order HID's.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

From what I've seem nearly all those drop-in LED units negatively affect the beam pattern. Some look close, but still shift the light closer to the car ruining distance. Also, don't believe the lumen ratings on those; they are inflated. The only one I've seen that was alright was a Phillips H4 that used multiple smaller chips aligned to emulate the original dual filament of an H4. There is a clone of that style that is almost ok as well.

Others on here have tried drop-in LED like you are looking at in a Camaro and eventually removed them for the reasons I listed above.

If you want brighter bulbs for the LMC housings, since they use 9005/9006 bulbs, you can use 9011/9012 bulbs in their place. Some parts stores might have them, but you can definitely get them on Amazon. You might need to trim a tab for it to fit or might not. They fit in my mother's CR-V without and trimming.

9011/9012 bulbs are noticeably brighter than 9005/9006 bulbs.

Low Beam (55 watt)
-- STD 9006 -- 1000
-- HIR 9012 -- 1870
[87% increase in lumen output]

High Beam (65 watt)
-- STD 9005 -- 1700
-- HIR 9011 -- 2350
[38% increase in lumen output]

If you buy the Wagner ones on Amazon, the Philips ones might come in the box instead. That's what happened to me and others. Which is fine since the Wagner listing is half the price of the Phillips listing. You'll get a plain white box instead of retail packaging. Another win since its easier to open and easier to recycle.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-06-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Your best bet is to do a simple HID retrofit. I'm not sure how big the housing are, but you may be able to squeeze a Mini H1 in there.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a thread on my headlights mods but I did a projector retro fit in the low beam and leds in the high beam. Lots of work but I loved the end result.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
I have a thread on my headlights mods but I did a projector retro fit in the low beam and leds in the high beam. Lots of work but I loved the end result.
Super clean work. What kind of beam does that mini LED bar have? Does it have a lot of throw?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Neko
Super clean work. What kind of beam does that mini LED bar have? Does it have a lot of throw?
The led's definitely put out a lot of light, but the projectors were more then sufficient to do the job. If I were to do it again I wouldnt do the LED's. They were a lot of work.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
The led's definitely put out a lot of light, but the projectors were more then sufficient to do the job. If I were to do it again I wouldnt do the LED's. They were a lot of work.
So I'm guessing it's just a lot more unneeded foreground light rather than a true distance beam. I find with proper xenon projector setups, highbeams are rarely needed anyway. They're just nice to have for driving fast on dark back roads. I'll be putting pencil beam driving lights behind my billet grill for that purpose.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Neko
So I'm guessing it's just a lot more unneeded foreground light rather than a true distance beam. I find with proper xenon projector setups, highbeams are rarely needed anyway. They're just nice to have for driving fast on dark back roads. I'll be putting pencil beam driving lights behind my billet grill for that purpose.
Exactly. The projectors with HID's were so bright that nothing else was needed.

Quick Reply: 9006 LED bulbs in Trans Am