Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fire Extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Fire Extinguisher

How many of you guys have fire extinguishers? Where are they mounted? Pic? And where is the best place to get the mount, hardware and equipment for the best value?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have one, but the majority of the ones I've seen they were mounted in the passenger door in the cup holder. It seems like the EASIEST way to mount it but when it comes down to needing it, just doesn't seem like the most accessible place IMO.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i second the op in wanting a good deal on one, and some input, ive been looking for one for just in case, op i think il try mount it on roll bar either behind the seat or on the rear down bar.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I saw one picture online a few years ago, but I can't find it now, that had the mount in mounted to the body and extruding out of the panel from a slit where the rear seatbelt mechnism is by the hatch speakers that looked really good, but I would deff want quick access.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

For me, if you're gonna mount a FX then you need to mount it somewhere it'll actually be USABLE if/when you actually NEED it. I'm not trying to run around the car or lunge into the back seat when my car is on fire lol.

I started debating getting one because I'm a little worried about my system. Plus i don't have a roll bar so places are limited from what I've seen.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking somewhere behind the drivers seat, I might remove the rear seats and use their bolt holes to mount one there and figure something out for the other side or just ride with 3 seats for a while.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

back in my ricer days I had one mounted on the pillar between the windshield and passenger door window of my old civic.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WTH is the point? I mean, is it really that common that cars start on fire? And if so, does a tiny fire extinguisher really do anything? I personally haven't seen that many on the side of the road burning down.

I would think that if you really think your car might start on fire...that I may look into preventing the fire before I think about putting something in my car to help extinguish the fire.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not so much for my car, the only reason I would use it for is for dried out overgrown grass when parking on grass. Any recreational event in the area requires fields for parking that don't get trimmed to often and I am already low enough to the ground. I have a few firefighters in the family and you never know when your gonna need one just in case of a crash/electrical fire/gas filling disaster. Catching a small fire before it turns into a larger one waiting for the fire department can save lives and property.
You make it seem like Im planning on my car catching fire. lol I've seen a number of vehicles on fire in tons of random locations. I watched this womans Ford burn to the ground in the middle of the parking lot.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
^^^ I saw one picture online a few years ago, but I can't find it now, that had the mount in mounted to the body and extruding out of the panel from a slit where the rear seatbelt mechnism is by the hatch speakers that looked really good, but I would deff want quick access.
yeah that sounds interesting id like to see that setup. ive found several on amazon good ones from 35-50 bucks, almost no pics of the attaching brackets tho. il probly roll the dice on one in a week or 2, when i do il throw up a pic
Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one on the passenger side of my Z06. I mounted it using a Brey Krause bar that attaches to the mounting points of the seat.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

How often do you tote Passengers ^^^
Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
WTH is the point? I mean, is it really that common that cars start on fire? And if so, does a tiny fire extinguisher really do anything? I personally haven't seen that many on the side of the road burning down.

I would think that if you really think your car might start on fire...that I may look into preventing the fire before I think about putting something in my car to help extinguish the fire.
Well, let's face it, our cars are getting pretty old. All it would take is a short in the wiring under the dash to POTENTIALLY set the car in flames. And water is NOT a good idea to use.

In my case, I've got a pretty serious sound system, and the terminal cup on the back of my sub box had melted all the way through and the terminal was just sitting bouncing around. If it wanted to, it could've possible set something up.

It's obviously an extreme case, and I've located the resistance and eliminated that particular issue, but it's still something that I'm always vigilant about. And having an extinguisher would definitely add a little bit of personal reassurance.

Just my thoughts on it, though.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I keep one in my trunk. It may not be the quickest to get to, but it's a just in case kind of thing and doesn't clutter up the interior or make me look like a ricer.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
How often do you tote Passengers ^^^
Often - it doesn't interfere.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

well for example i have a bottle heater and a **** ton of wiring and yes its done right, but god forbid somethings shorted out, shud i let it burn down, so 25 bucks and have it and not need it, vs **** burns down
Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
I have one on the passenger side of my Z06. I mounted it using a Brey Krause bar that attaches to the mounting points of the seat.

very clean vette
Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, fire extinguishers work quite well on automotive fires, if you catch them soon enough (obviously). It's cheap insurance vs possibly having to watch your car burn to the ground and not being able to do anything about it but wait 15 minutes for the fire department to show up. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mounted one on the sub box that sits behind the back seat. It isn't going to be the fastest place to access but at least I have it. With aftermarket fuel rails and connections it is just a peace of insurance.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

I will mount mine on the cage when the time comes

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher