Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

problem with HID. Ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problem with HID. Ballast?

Having more and more problems with my drivers side light. I bought the car with an aftermarket HID kit and it worked fine until about a month ago.

At first, the light would come on normally and then go out if I made a sharp turn. Then it started going out very soon after I turned the lights on and now immediately. The light flicks on and then immediately turns off.

Today I had a chance to look at it a little further. It's not the bulb as I switched them and the passenger bulb had the same issues when I switched but works perfectly on the original side. I pulled the bulb out of the housing and tried to narrow down the issue today, but was unsuccessful. Most times the bulb will go out immediately after I turned on the lights, sometimes it will flicker for 3-4 seconds before going out and once every 20 times or so it would turn on normally and then go out after I moved it at all.

Seems to me that it is a wiring issue inside the ballast and replacing it should solve the problem, but just wanted to solicit any other input before I order new a new ballast.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Had same problem with some cheaper eBay HIDs. The ballasts grounds are not very good. Redid the grounds, but they started doin the same things couple of months later. Better off buying better quality HIDs. Switched to some Kensuns off Amazon ($50-60), which had good reviews and are sold here in US. Been a few months now, still doin great so far.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Also securing the ballast so it is not bouncing around will make them last a lot longer
Old 03-22-2014, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad ballast if you swapped the lamps from side to side and problem stayed on the same side of the car. I would double check all connections, pins in connectors, etc. Make sure the ballast is mounted securely or try to isolate it from the car since vibrations can cause issues.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an extra kit when I switched. If something dies I can quickly get it replaced and back to normal.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Also securing the ballast so it is not bouncing around will make them last a lot longer
Mine have been bouncing around somewhere in the bumper for 4+ years.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Mine have been bouncing around somewhere in the bumper for 4+ years.
I have also had good luck with my ballasts in both vehicles, fogs only, in my beater they are bouncing around, in my t/a they are secured, both have been in the same amount of time, I'm just saying it's not a bad idea to secure them
Old 03-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Teching In

It's been bouncing around for a while. I secured it but I feel like the damage may have already been done. Pass side is secured and no problems so far. Guess I'll start with a new ballast and make sure its grounded well.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: problem with HID. Ballast?