Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing work! I'm definately in if you agree to make a batch of these.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pricing will be a driving factor for me as I'm not made of money but I'm definitely very interested.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Very cool - I've already messed with my stock cluster enough that I have no qualms about doing this...I would absolutely order a custom McNord overlay though.
The beauty here is all youll need to modify is the opening. In a 97-02 digital odo cluster it drops right in the cradle at the right height, then you snake the ribbon cable out the top. The third gen fcars and 93-96 LT1 camaro/firebird analog odometer clusters would need all the fabricating to mount.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
The beauty here is all youll need to modify is the opening. In a 97-02 digital odo cluster it drops right in the cradle at the right height, then you snake the ribbon cable out the top. The third gen fcars and 93-96 LT1 camaro/firebird analog odometer clusters would need all the fabricating to mount.
Absolutely agree with ya there - would give me the justification to get a custom overlay. Was on the fence before and opted to clear the blue filter off my stocker (actually, picked up a spare Z28 to modify so I could keep my stocker).
Old 03-25-2015, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Thats awesome. Im definitely interested in this, Id love to have one. Obviously it will always come down to a price point, but Im interested to either buy one, or just be told what to get and do and Ill make it myself. They look awesome though. Im in the process of having a McNord overlay made for my car, what would I need to have done to the overlay to make this as "drop in" as possible? The opening needs to be change, by how much and where? I can have it all done when Im getting it made.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm all in for this long as it's going to be plug and play take my old cluster and pop this new one in then I'm all for this
Old 03-26-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to derail the thread, but since you are super savvy when it comes to this stuff: Any idea what it would take to run a 5th gen camaro cluster in a 4th gen? I cant seem to find what controls the gauges.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Not to derail the thread, but since you are super savvy when it comes to this stuff: Any idea what it would take to run a 5th gen camaro cluster in a 4th gen? I cant seem to find what controls the gauges.
The amount if work it would take to do that wouldnt be worth the effort. The 5th gens are all can-bus electronics which is whole different ballgame than the old school electronics in our cars. Without a 5th gen pcm, BCM and other modules it wouldnt be feasible as they all communicate together and send signals to each other.

I have seen other swap cars successfully use a complete dash and gauges from a can-bus car, but they used the entire body/engine ect harness from the donor car.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fieroluke
Initially the plans were to make just one for Derek's Camaro. Then I ended up liking the result so much that I wanted it in my Fiero as well. And from all your comments we gathered that more people might like this. So we are in the process of preparing to make a batch of these now... Probably ten or so, if we find ten people that are interested in buying one. If not, it's not going to happen.

But first we want to make everything perfect, because we want everyone to be happy with it. We're keeping you updated on our progress so that you know where we are in the "mass production" project and what you are going to get in the end.

It's difficult to put a price tag on it yet, because there are still so many variables. And if I say a number now that's too low and the price is higher later people get mad, and if the initial estimate is too high people lose interest while the actual price end up lower in the end.

Please keep in mind that we're just two enthusiasts, not a business, and we're primarily doing this to benefit the community, not to make money. Yet we're talking about putting a considerable amount of money up front to invest in parts, so we're discussing how to go about this...

Anyway, your continued interest is what keeps us going and planning outside the scope of just one for each of us...
If it is more or less plug and play, I'd be interested for a few hundred bucks it would look dope with a fresh overlay and led's in the back. But I have no idea if this is like a $50 project or a $3000 project.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:59 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
If it is more or less plug and play, I'd be interested for a few hundred bucks it would look dope with a fresh overlay and led's in the back. But I have no idea if this is like a $50 project or a $3000 project.
Well, to give you a rough idea (and we might be forgetting something), we're aiming for the mid three digit range...
Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fieroluke
Well, to give you a rough idea (and we might be forgetting something), we're aiming for the mid three digit range...
Sign me up
Old 03-27-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea sign me up to im in on this
Old 03-28-2015, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Op-
Im in the process of having a McNord overlay made for my car, what would I need to have done to the overlay to make this as "drop in" as possible? The opening needs to be change, by how much and where? I can have it all done when Im getting it made.
I would have the trip/oil reset script left off as the new hole slightly runs into it. Then you can later modify the hole with an exacto knife and a straight edge. The gauge faces cut very easy. I recommend cutting your own hole to account for any slight differences between modules or the factory gauge bezel/housing itself.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Count me in. I'll take one.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been drooling over this project for a while now and can say I'm totally in for one as well! Excellent job and keep it up!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Default Update time...

The circuit boards of the final board version have arrived!
I'm building two more boards now to see if they fit the enclosure I selected.
I'll post pics when they're ready...
Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

fantastic results on this really impressive. I could see it fine one off, but ability to tamper with mileage will hurt the car resale in the end. Seems like it would be cost prohibitive to scale though, at $500/each you are changing how your mileage is perceived in the states and that's a big no no from a law perspective in many states.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by merim123
fantastic results on this really impressive. I could see it fine one off, but ability to tamper with mileage will hurt the car resale in the end. Seems like it would be cost prohibitive to scale though, at $500/each you are changing how your mileage is perceived in the states and that's a big no no from a law perspective in many states.
I dont know about other years and other cars, but on the 99-02 fcars if you just unplug the lcd odo, which is all you need to do in this case, the mileage is still recorded in the cluster. There is an upside down mounted circuit board under the lcd where the mileage is actually stored. The 99-02 lcd is only a display, it stores nothing. Outside of the 99-02 cars whoever were to use one, that would be at their own discretion.

Oliver.... I will get back with you this evening.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
Who friggin' cares about resale lol if you're going far enough to dump a bunch into a custom cluster setup then resale should be the last of your worries!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Who friggin' cares about resale lol if you're going far enough to dump a bunch into a custom cluster setup then resale should be the last of your worries!
He does have a valid point with the legalities of the odo. But this is not for everyone and definately user discretion.

Quick Reply: 99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen