Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ultimate write-up against HID in reflector housing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
One doesn't need to swerve to run off the side of a road. Not all roads are straight, wide, level, etc.. If you can't understand the many situations that blinding other drivers on the road might present, then you can't be helped.
Well, guess I can't be helped then, unless...

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
If there's a 9006 style bulb that I'm not aware of, with light output comparable to HID's, that's meant for a reflector housing, I'd be more than happy to remove my HID's and swap those in. But I will NEVER get projectors.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some people just will never get it.

/facepalm
Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Some people just will never get it.

/facepalm
What's so hard about this? I just want to be able to see the road clearly AND like how my headlights look. Why is that so difficult to attain?

EDIT: Ok, after doing some more research, I found that there are D2S HID bulbs and D2R HID bulbs. D2S are designed for projector housings and D2R bulbs are designed for reflector housings. Also looks like cheap HID kits usually come with D2S bulbs, if they even mention it.

Anyone know anything about these? Would D2R bulbs end the arguments?

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 08-13-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

D2R bulbs are for HID Reflector Housings, not Halogen Reflector Housings. Yes there is a difference.

Others on here have already pointed out an alternative. HIR 9011/9012 bulbs put out 1800-2300 lumen (depending on 9012 vs 9011) which 50+% more output than Standard Halogen 9005/9006 bulbs which put out around 1000-1700 lumen (depending on 9006 vs 9005) and will fit in the LMC Truck housings with minor trimming.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-14-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Alright, well as I already stated, I'm not doing any serious modifications to the car, so unless they make those in a straight base type, that's a no. Plus they don't sell those at local autoparts stores, and I'm not getting any halogen bulbs that I can't easily replace.

Based on my research, it appears no one makes brighter halogen bulbs than sylvania that will fit a 9006xs slot, and no one makes 9006xs LED's, so no point discussing their pro's and cons either.

I did find 9006xs plasma bulbs, but not great reviews and horrendous prices...

This is ridiculous...

On top of that I just discovered that I ordered and installed the wrong part number for my high beams, so I just had to order another pair. I'm waaay over budget for headlights already. I'll try some other options, but I'm never, ever getting projectors, that's the way it is.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy the Phillips 9012 and 9011 HIR bulbs at HomeDepot or any other retailer that sells Phillips lighting.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Launching!

You can buy the Phillips 9012 and 9011 HIR bulbs at HomeDepot or any other retailer that sells Phillips lighting.
You sure? According to their website they're online only. Which is too bad, because I just made this to test a theory:

And it worked when I bench tested it. I made it out of a spare 9005 bulb (right angle base) in about 20 minutes. I don't have great tools for cutting metal but plastic is no problem. Most of that time was spent on the wiring harness which is reusable, cutting the base off and plugging in the wires on any bulb from now on wouldn't take more than a couple minutes. The only thing worrying me is the small butt connectors, they may overheat, in which case I'll need a new connection solution, but I have ideas. If this works, then doing the same to the HIR 9011 shouldn't be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Ultimate write-up against HID in reflector housing?-20140815_110921.jpg  

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 08-15-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen them in store at the local Home Depot. At the very least, you can order online and do free pickup in your store. The lifespan of the 9012 (low beam) is 1400 hours as well, so you shouldn't need to replace them for a good long time. The pair I put in my old 3000GT a couple years ago were marked as made in Germany and are still going strong (cousin owns the car now).

If your little experiment there works, then the Phillips HIR bulbs with the LMC housing will be a very compelling alternative for people who don't want to commit to a proper HID Projector retrofit and don't want to carve up their car but still want better light than stock.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Launching!

I have seen them in store at the local Home Depot. At the very least, you can order online and do free pickup in your store. The lifespan of the 9012 (low beam) is 1400 hours as well, so you shouldn't need to replace them for a good long time. The pair I put in my old 3000GT a couple years ago were marked as made in Germany and are still going strong (cousin owns the car now).

If your little experiment there works, then the Phillips HIR bulbs with the LMC housing will be a very compelling alternative for people who don't want to commit to a proper HID Projector retrofit and don't want to carve up their car but still want better light than stock.
Alright, I'll check a local store, maybe they just don't actively monitor their inventory of them. I have no problem ordering things, it's the timing. I don't want to have to wait a few days for common replacement parts. I try to avoid having to say, "nah, we can't take my car tonight. It's dark and I have a headlight out" but if they have that kind of lifespan, it would be YEARS before I'd have to replace them. I may just order them and see.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Store inventory at Home Depot varies widely I've noticed for things like that. But typically you can have the stuff ordered and shipped to your local Home Depot for pickup the next day for no extra charge as they do daily deliveries anyway. I think Autozone and Advance do the same as well.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I'll check a local store, maybe they just don't actively monitor their inventory of them. I have no problem ordering things, it's the timing. I don't want to have to wait a few days for common replacement parts. I try to avoid having to say, "nah, we can't take my car tonight. It's dark and I have a headlight out" but if they have that kind of lifespan, it would be YEARS before I'd have to replace them. I may just order them and see.
then just order 2 sets instead of one on your first order so you have a spare set laying around the house.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
then just order 2 sets instead of one on your first order so you have a spare set laying around the house.
Well, I'll probably buy 1 pair, then if they're actually any good, I'll get the second.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Plus they don't sell those at local autoparts stores, and I'm not getting any halogen bulbs that I can't easily replace.
Others beat me to it but Home Depot has Philips HIR bulbs for $18.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

What's so hard about this? I just want to be able to see the road clearly AND like how my headlights look. Why is that so difficult to attain?
It's not difficult to attain. Stock housings with better halogen bulbs. My car lights up the road fine enough with stock replacement silverstars that I don't need to be an inconsiderate ******* to other drivers on the road. Do I want brighter, better lights? Yes but I will not do it halfass like you have (you in the name of "better looks").

Further you, nor anyone else can see your light design while your lights are on. And if you are so concerned about legalities, you would know that any HID retrofit is illegal as well. So why the disregard for one law to justify general disregard for others' safety?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a picture of someone's Camaro with HIDs vs mine with HIDs, stock vs projector, and it was very apparent which had more glare. Mine was even more head-on like in traffic vs the other that was off to the side.

Yep, I'm another HID ****. Do it right, or just don't do it. Yes, it costs more to do it right. So what?
You got those picturess broseph????
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThoR294
You got those picturess broseph????
I just went digging around for it now.

I have NO idea who's car this is. It is just an example.

Now compare that to HID in a projector, that also isn't an irritating color either. This is a pic of my old car, but same idea.

Heck, even standing right in front of my car has less glare than the HID in the stock reflectors, all thanks to proper beam control. Dare I say less glare than even halogen?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen the light (literally). I am cancelling my order at LMC and spending 3 times as much on a projector kit so I can still be blinded by ******** in jacked up diesels with 8K bulbs. Thank you HID ****'s, you are fighting the good fight!!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

There will always be jerks on the road, but there is no need to be one of them and perpetuate the problem. Be better than the others, not stoop to their level.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There will always be jerks on the road, but there is no need to be one of them and perpetuate the problem. Be better than the others, not stoop to their level.
yup. If I see said jerks I can just blast them with my high beams. Everyone else gets my normal non blinding low beams.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

If you don't want to be blinded by other cars headlights at night... you're just gonna have to not drive at night.

Even cars with the most up to date housings and projectors out are still gonna blind other cars due to variances in elevation, bumps, differences in vehicle heights, all cars still using normal reflective housings.....

**Fun Fact** And 50% of people who have had Lasik Eye surgery STILL get the refraction from all oncoming headlights at night no matter what type of housing and where the bulbs are pointed.

Quick Reply: Ultimate write-up against HID in reflector housing?