Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ultimate write-up against HID in reflector housing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ultimate write-up against HID in reflector housing?

I have been encountering a lot of suckers who install those eBay kits that put HIDs in reflector housings.... The only good write up I can find is this...

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-...out-there.html

Plenty of other forum posts as well via Google. Apparently it has to be on a fbody forum to have any merit. I know there are quite a few lighting gurus here who can help me out. Help me save others from getting blinded at night by these idiots!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a picture of someone's Camaro with HIDs vs mine with HIDs, stock vs projector, and it was very apparent which had more glare. Mine was even more head-on like in traffic vs the other that was off to the side.

Yep, I'm another HID ****. Do it right, or just don't do it. Yes, it costs more to do it right. So what?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid useless ricers.... (taking HID's out of reflector housings)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Whats the best HIDs for the factory fog lights on a Trans Am....?

Ive got the headlight HID's already, just the low beams.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

LS6427, I think you are in the wrong thread with that question.... take a look again at the first post.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP1
LS6427, I think you are in the wrong thread with that question.... take a look again at the first post.
lol hes making a joke..or not. sounds like a joke either way.

to the OP, no one believes in this. people will always say "its not that bad" or "mine are aimed down" or "my buddy drove in front and said they're okay". honestly though they look cheap as hell and they light BAD regardless. seriously just get colored halogens..am glad I retrofitted mine
Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just aim them down
Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

/facepalm

The "aim them down" was already addressed. Yeah, it is better than nothing, I guess, but still not right.

The worst offenders for HID reflector glare are HID in a housing that was designed for a dual filament low/high beam bulb. Excellent example of slight changes in positioning making a huge difference. Those reflectors have different reflection points for low and high beam, each focused for the low and high filaments. Those filaments are right next to each other. Now, take an HID, which only has one focal point, that is not exactly in the same spot as the low beam filament, and what do you think happens?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Just aim them down
Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

I aimed mine up so I can see better. I've only been flashed a couple of times but I think it was unrelated. You guys are haters.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
/facepalm

The "aim them down" was already addressed. Yeah, it is better than nothing, I guess, but still not right.
I was just joking
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

meh, i personally have ran HIDs in my stock reflector headlights on two different camaros...I, however, didn't do it because it looked cool. I did it because the stock halogens were simply not bright enough for me...and in reality, the HIDs didn't help greatly either. It is a lot cheaper to run HIDs vs retrofitting a projector...so I can see why people do it.

I just put in a set of Sonars to help correct this issue...I have not installed HIDs and I will say that the light output is a lot better! I may put set of HIDs in it later.

I will say, what kills me is the people who put HIDs in the Fog Lights on a jacked up truck...they shine right in the back window of my car and in to the eyes of drivers...those need to be removed asap.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
I was just joking
Realized later that you probably were. You got me.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
meh, i personally have ran HIDs in my stock reflector headlights on two different camaros...I, however, didn't do it because it looked cool. I did it because the stock halogens were simply not bright enough for me...and in reality, the HIDs didn't help greatly either. It is a lot cheaper to run HIDs vs retrofitting a projector...so I can see why people do it.
exactly. waste of $$$$$$$ and it just hurts others glad you saw the "light". harharharhar
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS

I just put in a set of Sonars to help correct this issue...I have not installed HIDs and I will say that the light output is a lot better! I may put set of HIDs in it later.

I will say, what kills me is the people who put HIDs in the Fog Lights on a jacked up truck...they shine right in the back window of my car and in to the eyes of drivers...those need to be removed asap.
The money you wasted on both could have had you better lighting from the get go.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
The money you wasted on both could have had you better lighting from the get go.
HIDs are cheap these days...complete sets for $25 including ballasts. I'm not saying that is the best route, but it is cheaper than buying $50 sylvanias off the shelf. Plus replacement bulbs for HIDs are even cheaper.

Not to jack a thread, but in my case I needed new headlight housings...mine were already hacked to **** from the previous owner...half the clips were broken, missing, inside the lens were scratched, etc. I was going to buy a new set of Depo whistlers but they were close to $200 and I wasn't too fond of breaking into those to install projectors. I found some Sonars, which come with the H1 bulbs for $150 give or take. They're not morimoto h1's or whatever the rage is these days, but i'd say they do a pretty good job. Much greater than any stock reflective housing w/ or w/o HIDs. The halos are ok, I did hook them up, but i'm not the biggest fan. I like the way the headlights look on the car during the daytime and have gotten many compliments in the short two weeks that i have had them on.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

and those 25 dollar kits are garbage, don't waste your money on them, sure they may be better then stock but they are garbage compared to a quality HID ballast, spend the money and you will see better output and whiter color from the same bulbs that came with the cheap kit. In my experience you have to go at least double that and even then it's touch and go, if you want true quality get the Morimoto 3Five ballasts (like I wish I had the budget for, but i've found some decent ones for now).

the point of this thread is to try to stop foolish idiots that are trying to "save a buck" from sticking those cheap piece of crap kits in there car because either you blind on coming cars due to having HIDs in Reflector housings (99-04 mustangs are some of the worst I've personally seen in this respect) or between the 8000k or higher bulb temp combined with the crappy ballasts your light output actually ends up WORSE then stock (which I have also seen around town, hids so purple they don't even go 25' in front of the car) I suspect the folks saying they had friends stand in front while driving by and it not bothering them fall into this category.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have HID fog lights and they are brighter than my headlights on my v6 and they are really low to the ground so I doubt they bother anyone.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
I have HID fog lights and they are brighter than my headlights on my v6 and they are really low to the ground so I doubt they bother anyone.
Yeah they point about 5" in front of you that's why they don't bother anyone
Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
or between the 8000k or higher bulb temp combined with the crappy ballasts your light output actually ends up WORSE then stock (which I have also seen around town, hids so purple they don't even go 25' in front of the car) I suspect the folks saying they had friends stand in front while driving by and it not bothering them fall into this category.
Yeah i notice a lot people put HIDs in their cars, just to say they have HIDs...I know somebody that actually put the purple ones in because he had a PPM Camaro. It wasn't purdy.

Quick Reply: Ultimate write-up against HID in reflector housing?