Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Convertible Custom tops? Hardtops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Custom tops? Hardtops?

Ive been kicking around the idea of buying a 5th 4th generation WS6, but a convertible, a first for me. Are there any custom tops out there or hardtop options? I would love to create a faux coupe, I saw a black c5 convertible like that and it seemed like the best of both worlds. Like remove everything from the b pillar back from a t top or even a hardtop firebird, and create like a temporary fastening system so you could uninstall it and put the vert stuff back on.

This is the C5;
http://www.motortopia.com/cars/2002-...-corvette-2056
Attached Thumbnails Convertible Custom tops? Hardtops?-mt1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You mean a Targa Top? If you search on here, you'll see some that have done it. I think 6LE also had a top you could buy at one point.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I understand what your asking, your basically looking to have a "removable" hard top kinda like this:

but being something you manually remove from the car, sorta like a roadster but with a solid roof that could be reinstalled in bad weather.

short answer, no nothing like that exists for a convertible f-body and you can't do anything with the parts from a t-top or hardtop because of how the hatch is.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

At first I thought he meant a removable hard top (like they made for earlier Miatas and British Roadsters), but the pic of the Corvette looks like a Targa (although this looks like a Targa conversion on the Fixed Roof Coupe instead of the stock/normal Targa which that model Corvette had).
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought about this many times for vert. Didn't pursue it further because I don't do any type fiber glass so can't experiment.

The closest I got with my idea was to use a RK sport tonneau cover up entire area behind the driver and passenger seats.

This gives it a Porsche carrera gt look.

Then using fiberglass, build an arch. At this stage you have a roadster / targatop look.
[IMG][/IMG]

Use light weight glass or another fiberglass piece with same mechanics as your soft top to connect the " targa top halo" to front of the car with latches where regular tops latch in.

Sorry for large pics

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 07-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Has it been done? Not to my knowledge.

Can it be done? I'm sure some shop out there is ready to take your money and spend countless hours trying. Whether or not they succeed and have it look good is anyone's guess though.

Should it be done? I wouldn't think it is worth the time, money, or effort to be honest. If you want a more open air feel to the car then have a shop remove the middle bar on a T-Top car and do a targa top using 6LE parts. It would be a lot less fabrication and headache since most of the pieces are available for immediate purchase. I really enjoyed the targa top on my C4, it was a pretty sweet setup. The only thing I didn't like was the weight, it was a heavy sucker to handle.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Has it been done? Not to my knowledge.

Can it be done? I'm sure some shop out there is ready to take your money and spend countless hours trying. Whether or not they succeed and have it look good is anyone's guess though.

Should it be done? I wouldn't think it is worth the time, money, or effort to be honest. If you want a more open air feel to the car then have a shop remove the middle bar on a T-Top car and do a targa top using 6LE parts. It would be a lot less fabrication and headache since most of the pieces are available for immediate purchase. I really enjoyed the targa top on my C4, it was a pretty sweet setup. The only thing I didn't like was the weight, it was a heavy sucker to handle.
This. Anything is possible with enough money. However it just probably wouldn't be worth it for the cost and/or extra weight.
Even doing the targa 6LE requires some extra bracing, IIRC, because the middle t-top bar does a lot for rigidity.
Starting with a vert, and adding to it. You might break even if you rip out all of the top motors and what not, but you still end up with a less open feel.

It seems like a whole lot of trouble to be different. Of course modding cars is all about that, so if you really want to...go right ahead and make a thread! We wanna see!

Otherwise if you just want a more hardtop feel when driving around with the top up, spend your money on a nice inner liner for the top. More convertibles come this way now and it makes a huge difference. My friend's 2013 SS vert doesn't feel like a vert at all driving down the road. No extra noise at all.

Or if you want some extra rigidity while looking badass in a vert, just get a small cage/roll over bar.

Quick Reply: Convertible Custom tops? Hardtops?