Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Review: 6LE/MRC Style Racing Seats from Ebay Vendor

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the idea of these seats and brackets where to save money. $200 on brackets alone is not something i would like to spend. I will be attempting to do a good fix of this issue, on a budget. If I am unable to, I would either remove the sliders to gain height, or look into the 6le brackets.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I just noticed no matter who I looked at for brackets they all came in around that price.

I forget whether using stock sliders and building adapter plates makes the seat higher or lower.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well, we definitely want lower seats or stock sitting seats..
Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

My seats mount to the stock rails almost close to stock. The bolt holes for the seats do not match up with the stock rails so an adapter plate must be made. I used a 1/8 inch steel bar from home depot and marked off the holes and drilled bars to match. So the seat theoretically would sit 1/8 of an inch higher than the stock seats.

But this isn't the case for one primary reason. If you look at the bottom of the Camaro seats, you'll see theres not a lot of space between the top and bottom on the bottom seat. Part of why Camaro seats are uncomfortable, thiers not a lot of padding.

The seats we're replacing with have lots of cushion. If you compare the seats side by side and look at the bottom sections you'll see better what I mean. It's because the new seats have lots of padding and they angle upward that the seats naturally sit a few inches higher than the stock seats. So regardless if you use the stock rails, you'll be sitting higher up. Only way to fix that is to make custom mounting rails to keep the seat as low as possible.

I'm 5 '10 and I leave the seat leaned back as my natural driving preference. I have plenty of clearance like this. Though when wearing a driving helmet on the track I can feel it touching the top of the headliner. If I pull my seat in a complete upright position, my head just barely touches the headliner. For me this is fine as I said I drive laid back a little. If I was another inch or two taller I'd be looking at making my own bracket to lower the seat some.

Again it's a matter of preference for some. I've had two people who are 6 '2 ride passenger and had no complaints. They lay their seats back a little bit too.

Only down side I have on mine is I had to get use to ducking my head when getting in.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS
My seats mount to the stock rails almost close to stock. The bolt holes for the seats do not match up with the stock rails so an adapter plate must be made. I used a 1/8 inch steel bar from home depot and marked off the holes and drilled bars to match. So the seat theoretically would sit 1/8 of an inch higher than the stock seats.

But this isn't the case for one primary reason. If you look at the bottom of the Camaro seats, you'll see theres not a lot of space between the top and bottom on the bottom seat. Part of why Camaro seats are uncomfortable, thiers not a lot of padding.

The seats we're replacing with have lots of cushion. If you compare the seats side by side and look at the bottom sections you'll see better what I mean. It's because the new seats have lots of padding and they angle upward that the seats naturally sit a few inches higher than the stock seats. So regardless if you use the stock rails, you'll be sitting higher up. Only way to fix that is to make custom mounting rails to keep the seat as low as possible.

I'm 5 '10 and I leave the seat leaned back as my natural driving preference. I have plenty of clearance like this. Though when wearing a driving helmet on the track I can feel it touching the top of the headliner. If I pull my seat in a complete upright position, my head just barely touches the headliner. For me this is fine as I said I drive laid back a little. If I was another inch or two taller I'd be looking at making my own bracket to lower the seat some.

Again it's a matter of preference for some. I've had two people who are 6 '2 ride passenger and had no complaints. They lay their seats back a little bit too.

Only down side I have on mine is I had to get use to ducking my head when getting in.
I am 6' 2", and with the ebay brackets and rails, I can feel my hair touching the glass of the t-top. There is no way, with the full ebay setup, these seats/rail/bracket would be considered acceptable. The seats are good, but the bracket or rail will require extensive modification.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a set of these seats second hand over the weekend. Guy said he got them off of ebay, but the mounting is more like what I would have done vs the plates that yall are using.

I wasn't thinking about getting pix of the sliders before now, but it looks like they cut off the mounting tabs from the stock sliders and welded them to these sliders. This isn't my pic, but you can see where the tabs are riveted on these rails... they drilled out the rivets and welded them on through the holes and on the sides.

The passenger seat sits just as low or lower than the original. The driver's side is a bit different. The front feels alright, but the rear seems a bit high (maybe 1/2" -3/4"), so I'll probably end up pulling it out, cutting a section out of the rear mount and welding it back in. I'll get some pix when I do.

I haven't put any seat time in them though... maybe 20 minutes. I got them in and made a test drive to make sure my new O2's cleared up my lean condition. My first impression is the bottoms fit me more snugly than the tops do. I'm 5'10" ~ 160lb 38R coat size 34 waist. I can feel the squish on the sides of my ***, but don't feel like the back/side bolsters are hugging me. It doesn't take much side to side to know they're there though.

I HAVE to do something with the seatbelts though. It is digging into my neck almost instantly. I've read about the 6Le trick of screwing the stock guides in with spacers and using the leather straps stuck, glued, or sewn on. Have any of you tried running the stock belt through the slot in the seat like this?

I have a track day coming up on the 28th, so I guess I'll find out if they're going to stay in here or if I'm going to be looking for a different set.

Last edited by spent21; 02-23-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the idea of putting my seatbelt brackets on the sides of the seats like factory, but I don't trust myself at all to get a hole drilled on a round tube within the seat without it slipping and destroying something.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rerouted the belts through the slot last night. It's better, but not ideal. It will work for the short term.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by spent21
Have any of you tried running the stock belt through the slot in the seat like this?
THOSE^^^ are the seats I am saving up my pennies to get.

Probably the best 'bang for the buck' as far as comfort, durability, and support goes, AND I know that I will be able to get replacement covers, and cushions/foam for them IF they ever do wear out.

My POS Recaro SPDs (now their "Speed") fell apart after 3 years of daily driving (cover wore through, bolsters crushed down, and bottom cushion's 'suspension' ripped out), and I am NOT particularly large, or heavy, and yes, I DID take extreme care in getting into and out of them.

And Recaro REFUSES to sell you replacement cushions or covers, as they expect you to just buy another $800.00 seat that will also fall apart on you in a couple of years.

Quick Reply: Review: 6LE/MRC Style Racing Seats from Ebay Vendor