Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I tried this new product called ToughGuard

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I tried this new product called ToughGuard

I am a helicopter pilot by trade and came across a new product that was being applied to airplanes and helicopters in my company. I was told that it was also being applied to high end cars and trucks. Good enough for the aviation industry, it was good enough for me to give it a try on my Camaro SS. I thought I would pass this on to others that would like to try this product for detailing their cars.

ToughGuard is a two step process that provides a bond with the paint and smooth's out painted surfaces. The smoother the painted surface, the easier air flows over it thus minimizing parasitic drag and keeping dirt from adhering to the surface. It was very easy to apply.

1. Wash the car with what they call step one. It is kind of slimy but takes all the old polish and contaminants off the paint.
2. Apply two coats of ToughGuard with an orbital buffer using speed selector 2 on the speed and let it set for an hour or more. A little bit of this product goes a long ways. Not like a wax.
3. Buff it off with a foam pad or similar pad using speed selector 5 on the orbital buffer.

Very easy to do and the finish is Unbelievable. The paint really pops and it is guaranteed to last up to 5 years. I have a black Camaro so I wasn't sure what to expect. Super happy and the surface is very smooth.

The website is www.toughguard.com so check it out if interested.

Thought this might help my fellow drivers as an alternative to wax?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails I tried this new product called ToughGuard-ss-1.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks awesome, what kind of pads for the polishing?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I used the waffle polishing pad to both apply it and polish and a micro fiber bonnet to finish it off. It worked very well for me. I am sure any type of polishing pad would work equally well. Like I said, a little product goes a long ways when you apply it and the polishing step was very easy.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I forgot to add that I used a white application pad and micro fiber towel to buff the hard to get areas like around the front running lights and grill and rear spoiler. I also did the door jams, rear hatch area and the perimeter of the hood with the application pad. Again, very easy to do with minimal effort.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like new!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"I am a helicopter pilot by trade and came across a new product that was being applied to airplanes and helicopters in my company"

Typical Pilot LOL... There are songs about you on youtube.

Jokes aside, looks good.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I used something called "5 Star Shine" once upon a time that sounds like the same thing but proved to be snake oil.

Supposedly back then the Navy used it on radar equipment on their ships or something of the like...

It didn't hold up any longer than a few months like typical wax so I put it in the "waste of money" category.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Not sure how it will hold up yet? The aviation industry doesn't normally use snake oil on expensive multi-million dollar aircraft. It's only an option or suggestion for something new. Looks great on my car. Works great on the helicopter.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How about some daylight (bright sun) pics?
Product sounds a lot like NuFinish.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Sun shine is a little hard to come by in Oregon this time of year. I will do my best. In the mean time here is the package it came in.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Here is the box. I will do my best to get a sun shine picture.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I seen this stuff a few months ago, my brother and I have a mobile detailing business amd work for 12 dealers in our area, All brand stores, high end imports, domestics, Everything..,

Anyway one of the dealers had a detail who supposedly had the best product and this particular dealer would never even take a look at what we can do.

We do strictly exterior detailing and paint touchup, our system it designed to get rid of imperfections and we can't get rid of, we camouflage.

Anyway there Detailer, who works at the dealer gave us this big sales pitch in how great these products are and how there's nothing better.

We challenged him, I told him I gaurantee we have something better, because we do. My brother and I own a franchise with Touch of color.

Our products are proprietary and you must own a franchise to use them.

Now our sealant that we use is the best product I've ever used, that's what sold me on buying a franchise.

Anyway he swore that this product will outlast anything,, Nothing can harm it or dissolve unless it's something like laquer thinner.

We put our sealant on right over top of this product, started removing it with water and you could see this product being dissolved, looks just like oul mixed with water.

The dealer has had us do all of there used cars ever since. Lol

I can't see this stuff lasting for 5 years unless it's kept inside and bit driven in wet weather.

I know the sealant we use last for about 1 year, driven through winter and kept outside 365 days a year, Last just as long on plactic trim as it does one paint.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the double post....If this paint protectant only last one year on my Camaro, it was still worth it to me. The ease at which it was applied and the way it brought out the brilliance and shine in my 14 year old Onyx Black paint is amazing. The paint feels so smooth and I may have gained a couple MPH in top speed due to the reduction in parasitic drag right! :-) Anyway, I read that ToughGuard is certified by Boeing, Douglas Aircraft, British Aerospace, and Airbus and is used by many aircraft detailing shops. If it can help protect paint against Jet fuels and rain erosion from water drops hitting the fuselage at say 400 knots....I will certainly try it on my Camaro. This is certainly just an option that I came across and decided to share it with fellow members to detail their cars. I am sure this is not for everyone. I will try and give everyone a long term test. I just need to drive my car more.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the junk called xzilon that the company i work for uses. It it supposedly used on air craft like boeing and all those you listed. it is just like a wax and lasts maybe a few months and is gone just like a wax. we use it on a lot of vehicles including my own it does not last and do what it says it will. Ours also says it will prevent dents from happening and resist bird dropping stains and any kind of acid rain or fallout and it clearly does none of that. Just go to xzilon dot com and check it out. they have videos on youtube explaining what all it does.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Here are a couple of my car in the unusual Oregon sun in November as I promised. ToughGuard is not for everyone. If you think it is snake oil by all means do not use it. It made a difference in the finish of my car and that is all I was looking for with this product.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good. Sounds like a typical sealant that is on the market. If you want something that lasts and looks even look into a ceramic coating.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let's see some pictures of it beading water.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

How does it compare to Zaino?

Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Sorry guys for the late response as I have been out of town on work. The ToughGuard beads water just fine and the water just runs off. I am a happy camper with this product. I have never heard of Zaino in the aviation industry. Is it a paint protectant or polish? Good stuff and an alternative to the normal wax/polish. Not for everyone but might be worth a try? Mike

Quick Reply: I tried this new product called ToughGuard