Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone without a Porter Cable DA buffer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Menzerna is a brand of polish. www.autopia.org to learn and www.autopia-carcare.com to buy.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

or do a search on it, zaneo, superbuick, me and a few others have posted some great info about it.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

High Quality Automotive polishes.
http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html

Intensive and Fianl polish are what you would want - worth every penny in my book.

-Tom
Old 05-31-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

super, when are you going to post some pics???
Old 05-31-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think the snow has melted off up there, yet.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a bunch of great pics I could post, but I don't have web hosting. Here's a few that a buddy on ls2 was kind enough to host for me.

None of the latest pictures I've taken are "glamour shots", but rather up-close, direct sunlight pictures that show the value of proper prep. I have one picture that I haven't had hosted yet that shows the AMAZING liquidity of the menzerna/souveran combo. Next time I take the car out, though, I'll park it somewhere nice for some glam shots.

Zane, you're not kidding - today is June 1 and it is rainy, wet, and 50 degrees.

As soon as I get a way to show you my newer pictures I will.

-Tom
Old 06-01-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Tom, have you tried www.photobucket.com and your Autopia gallery for picture hosting? Another place you can go to is www.burnsilver.com - he's a friend.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey tom, you have anything done to that hawk ?????
Old 06-01-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunately my kart racing expenditures make upgrades to the hawk minimal. It has a lid, Pro 5.0/lous short stick shifter, SFCs, strut brace, Loudmouth/y-pipe, and the usual free mods.

When I can afford it (probably in a few years) it will get H/C, headers, and Fikse FM10s or Boyd Coddington "Tuned" wheels. I definetely want to make it a road-race/autocross setup more than a drag car. Either that or I'll sell it and buy a Z06.

But its REALLY clean

Zane - I use autopia but you have to be a member to view it, and i can't link to it. I'll check out that other site you mentioned and follow up....

-Tom
Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lets see if this works.....

I think this is one of the best photos I have that shows the "liquidity" that can be achieved on black paint using a Porter-Cable polisher, Menzerna Polishes, and Pinnacle Souveran wax. The image kinda got a little blurry in its resizing, but I think you'll get the idea.

Name:  DSCN0967.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  128.1 KB
Old 06-01-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

This one is indoors, so not direct sunlight, but I thought it was cool (took this one last summer)

Name:  12679dscn2028.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  43.5 KB
Old 06-01-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperBuick
This one is indoors, so not direct sunlight, but I thought it was cool (took this one last summer)

Tom,

How often do you wash your car? I just did the menzerna twins and a coat of PS21. Its under a cover now in the garage..When I add another layer, can I just california dust her off, or should I wash the car again? I want to avoid washing the car all of the time, especially using carnuba (ps21). I belive it defeats the purpose of layering.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I rarely wash the car because I never take it out in weather that would require a wash to clean up from. Usually I dust off the car using the California Duster, then I QD it using pinnacle crystal mist or Zymol Field Glaze, and if I'm feeling saucy I slap on another coat of Souveran. Sometimes I rinse the car off with water and then dry using the leaf blower, followed up with a QD (quick detailer) using crystal mist or zymol field glaze. I try to wash it as infrequently as possible as washing is what puts the most swirls in your paint (even when done "correctly") Being a garage queen I have that luxury, but for a daily driver (which the yellow car is) its all about simply maintaining the finish with proper washing technique, a good sealant (blackfire in my case, topped with P21S), and polish is when you have to to remove the inevitable swirls.

-Tom
Old 06-01-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn superbuick, that looks amazing.

I think I will try the pin next or FMJ, not quite sure being a daily driver and all...

but ****, that looks so badass.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks

Here's a few pics of some other cars I did last summer (more artsy fartsy pictures but you get the gist)

Name:  DSCN1933.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  167.5 KB
Old 06-02-2004, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

SuperBuick:

How would you compare and contrast the Menzerna FMJ vs. the Pinnacle Souveran?

The FMJ is much cheaper so I was leaning towards that but if the Souveran is much better and I might be willing for fork out the cash for it.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those mods are pretty good tom. bet the hawk screams when you "wack it" very nice !! I'd look into keeping it since it is rare.

Here is a vote for Wolfgang paint sealant. gives the paint the durable protection and it creates a wet, deep, super gloss
Old 06-03-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTP LS1
SuperBuick:

How would you compare and contrast the Menzerna FMJ vs. the Pinnacle Souveran?

The FMJ is much cheaper so I was leaning towards that but if the Souveran is much better and I might be willing for fork out the cash for it.
I'm almost postive SB hasn't used the FMJ yet, but I'm pretty sure thats what steve2001ss uses.

The FMJ will be my next purchase (probably later today) to see the differences in it and Wolfgang. I love the look and feel of Wolfgang the protection just didn't seem worth a damn. FMJ supposedly protects very well, and if it is of the same quality as their polishes, I would imagine so.

SB, the bumper shot is amazing, it always seems to be a BAD trouble spot on these cars. Nearly as bad as the B pillar.

Are those HREs on the Porshe?

Nice work yet again, I'm simply amazed. Now I wish I had black, but I know I would cuss it just as much, if not more than NBM.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Brandon - yes HREs on the porsche - though he sold it in order to buy himself a 996 Turbo AND a Cayenne Turbo along with some 19 inch HREs for the M5. Must be nice huh?

As far as the rear bumper - thats a product of ALOT of work with the PC and Menzerna polishes, however it does have a few "unfixable" scratches on it on the other side (can only see in sunlight but they are more like cracks than scratches - very fine and very annoying) Thanks for the compliments on the pictures, I'll be sure to post some more now that Zane turned me onto photobucket (and I work in IT - why I don't know about these things I have no idea - probably spending too much time racing and detailing).

In regards to FMJ vs. Souveran, I can't speak to that because I haven't used FMJ. The consensus from what I've read seems to be amazing, but if we believed everything we read we'd all be slathering our bodies in Zaino right now rather than visiting this forum. Based on the real world experience I've had with Menzerna Polishes, as well as the feedback I've recieved from F-Body enthusiasts on this and other forums, I would say that I personally won't feel a bit of hesitation in ordering FMJ when my Blackfire runs out. I'm guessing, though, based on pure satisfaction with the Pinnacle Souveran, that I won't be using the FMJ permanently on the Firehawk. At the moment I have the luxury of treating the firehawk as a garage queen (being a 2001, #86 of only 540 that year, and having all the options [bilstein suspension, not 1LE though] I think it qualifies as at least somewhat rare), and with it being a garage queen, durability is not an issue. As such, unless I magically become able to afford Zymol Vintage, I think Souveran will be the wax of choice for garage queen duty.

My guess is that for pure looks, souveran will still be better, but as a combination of durability and looks, FMJ would be the better choice.

-Tom
Old 06-04-2004, 05:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brandon
SB, the bumper shot is amazing, it always seems to be a BAD trouble spot on these cars. Nearly as bad as the B pillar.
That's what I always notice first when someone posts new pics... Anyone ocan get a fender or Ram Air hood to shine. That rear bumper is a real tough area. I see myself putting many hours into it and still not getting results like SB's.

Quick Reply: Anyone without a Porter Cable DA buffer...