Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What I've been up to lately.. Engine Bay Content

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteheartbeat
Awesome man! I've been waiting for a thread from you with a new project! Beautiful engine bay and nice stance. I love the idea of the satin black wheels with gloss lip, I almost went that route with a concave center. Makes me wish I could start on my wife's 68 Camaro rs that her mom gave us. Keep up the good work man it's awesome so far!
thanks! been wanting to post something up for a while, just wanted to wait till I got things most of the way to my liking.. lots of hiccups along the way. Just don't let the 68 go, even if it takes years to get to it! So glad my mom held on to this car all those years, even with people constantly telling her she should get rid of it.

Originally Posted by scj
Car looks great. Should really bring it up a bit with some nice wheels, I'm sure you've got that already picked out.

Hope you're keeping good insurance on this one.
yes. and yes!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
The engine looked better before...

Seriously amazing work there, very clean. How did you go about shortening the dipstick? I've been contemplating that with the ole LT1, the stock one sticks up too high and looks a bit ridiculous.
-chopped down the tube with a cutoff wheel to where I wanted it.
-cut off the dipstick from the handle
-the handle will no longer fit in the tube, as the original top inch or so was flared to fit its size. So i used a grinder to shave down the plastic so that it could fit inside the tube.. I just leave the handle in there as is, even though it is useless
-went to Autozone and purchased a universal dipstick tube, which can be adjusted to the length you need, and set it to the new height accounting for the amount that was cut from the tube. I leave the new dipstick and the old one (for its measurements) in the trunk at all times for whenever I need it.

For the trans dipstick, things were easier. I just had to cut the tube, shave the handle some so that it'd fit into the tube still, and then I cut off the same amount from the stick that I had cut from the handle. With how much I had cut off, I had completely removed all of the original measurements, so it was a blank piece of metal. I then made some marks in it to indicate high/low and all based on the original. I could not do this with the oil dipstick since I did not cut off enough to where I was working with a blank area, instead there were still markings left at the bottom. That is why I got the universal one.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
thanks! been wanting to post something up for a while, just wanted to wait till I got things most of the way to my liking.. lots of hiccups along the way. Just don't let the 68 go, even if it takes years to get to it! So glad my mom held on to this car all those years, even with people constantly telling her she should get rid of it.
Definitely keeping the 68 only thing is the wife wants it to look all original and I love the pro touring look! Funny you mentioned a early 60's Nova, 66-67 Nova is my dream classic car in a pro touring version! Forgot to ask, no plans on painting the 78??

Last edited by whiteheartbeat; 12-12-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

only thing is the wife wants it to look all original and I love the pro touring look!
visually the wheels/stance is the main difference. Lower it some, but not too much, and go with a classic style wheel in a larger diameter/width, like 17's or 17/18 staggered. original look with a better stance and more meaty tires in the rear. You'll find some middle ground there. keep the rest of the exterior and interior fairly original for her, and have your fun in the performance/suspension areas

no plans on painting the 78??
no sir, leaving the paint as is. I've come to love the look. The only changes that will be made to the exterior are the wheels, I'll be lowering it more, and I want to try something different with the headlights and parking lights.

just noticed you got the wheels installed.. Looks great!

Last edited by crimson_bird; 12-13-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Damn that looks good! Can't wait to see even more progress!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Teching In

thats some epic work man. i would go with a rat rod type of look with that car. like leave the paint like it is, maybe add some rust spots here and there. those cars kinda make a statement of ugly already lol.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It has really come along nicely. Good job!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunderlsx
thats some epic work man. i would go with a rat rod type of look with that car. like leave the paint like it is, maybe add some rust spots here and there. those cars kinda make a statement of ugly already lol.
already got a couple natural rust spots! lol. the paint is indeed staying as is. it ain't pretty, but I love it

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
It has really come along nicely. Good job!
thanks!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like crap, you should give me the car. haha
Old 12-14-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks awesome! When are you going to do the engine bay on my 73?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

leaving the paint as is. I've come to love the look.
I guess, to each their own I supose. I was anticipating an Epic 2nd gen because you have an artists eye for these things. Your T/A was trully Epic and was hoping if anyone could get me to like a late 2nd gen it'd be you. I could see it now, lowered, bright red w/ black stripes, carbon fiber accents.... But alas, if the exterior is as good as it's going to get right now - I'm out!

At least I still have pics of your old Trans Am on my computer I can still drool over..... *sighs*
Old 12-15-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! I was waiting to see some higher res images than Instagram you kept it in suspense till you let the battery cover slip on one of the pics. You really had my attention then. I love the outside look, I really like the paint as it sits too and I definitely vote for a gloss lip on the CCW's.

Update the sig!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy cow that engine bay looks sweet...
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

thanks. Would love to do an early 2nd gen down the road.. but when I'm done with this I'd really love to get an early 60's Nova or 60-70's C10. Definitely on an old school vibe now
Yeah there are so many more options for customizing when you do an older car because out of necessity so much needs love or replacing. They can become a money pit real fast though.

Ive done some major suspension renovation work and have already spent more money than i did buying the roller chassis.

I digress, enjoy it you dont see many of those on the road anymore the 2nd gens always get ignored
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=crimson_bird;18568621]thanks. Would love to do an early 2nd gen down the road.. but when I'm done with this I'd really love to get an early 60's Nova or 60-70's C10. Definitely on an old school vibe now

i hope you do an early nova. i have a 64 i want to do a swap with

they are light and good sleepers. i will look forward to watching any build you do
Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

That is one hell of a transformation...props to you...I'm jealous.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice work bro!!! I am impressed. I love the simplistic appearance of it now!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Love it man, ill get another 2nd gen one day, i miss mine!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Looks awesome! When are you going to do the engine bay on my 73?
time/patience and a few basic materials, all ya need!

Originally Posted by MeenZ28
I guess, to each their own I supose. I was anticipating an Epic 2nd gen because you have an artists eye for these things. Your T/A was trully Epic and was hoping if anyone could get me to like a late 2nd gen it'd be you. I could see it now, lowered, bright red w/ black stripes, carbon fiber accents.... But alas, if the exterior is as good as it's going to get right now - I'm out!

At least I still have pics of your old Trans Am on my computer I can still drool over..... *sighs*
All good. The patina look is definitely not for everyone. But I'll post some better pics of it that do it a little more justice.
Originally Posted by silverWS.6
Very nice! I was waiting to see some higher res images than Instagram you kept it in suspense till you let the battery cover slip on one of the pics. You really had my attention then. I love the outside look, I really like the paint as it sits too and I definitely vote for a gloss lip on the CCW's.

Update the sig!
Yeah I do need to update it! Still mad about the battery cover lol.
Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Yeah there are so many more options for customizing when you do an older car because out of necessity so much needs love or replacing. They can become a money pit real fast though.
Very true. When I started with the car I had never really considered all of the things that should be replaced, I was only thinking about the motor swap. But then someone said to AT LEAST do new bushings... which led to suspension.. and brakes.. And eventually just deciding to really go through the entire thing.

Originally Posted by Fullen
That is one hell of a transformation...props to you...I'm jealous.
thanks. I love looking at the before/after stuff to see the change. Feels good

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
Very nice work bro!!! I am impressed. I love the simplistic appearance of it now!
thanks. That was the goal. Going for an even cleaner/simpler look with a few changes I'd like to make.

Originally Posted by glocklimited9
Love it man, ill get another 2nd gen one day, i miss mine!
Thanks. Would love to see what you could do with one
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tight!!!! should I go track down my dad's 79 blk & gold z28? Great job J!!!!!

Quick Reply: What I've been up to lately.. Engine Bay Content