Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

I am simply torn that I will have to take my bird plate off the front of my ws6 because Ohio has the stupid front plate law. I am going to try to get away with it as long as I can but what are some options for us "Front Platers"?
Old 01-16-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just stick with the standard front location for the plate. Anything else looks ricey imo.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 358 Likes on 249 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Minnesota is a front plate state but I always keep my cover on anyways. Looks so much better.
I don't get hassled about it at all, I don't care how many tickets I get, I refuse to run I front plate. If I do get hassled I will remove the cover on the spot for the cop then put it back on around the corner

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 01-16-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Guess that is the next question, is it really that easy, pull the bird plate off and screw on the license plate?
Old 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by trailshredder
Guess that is the next question, is it really that easy, pull the bird plate off and screw on the license plate?
I have my front plate on, then the cover over it. Two top screws on the cover and it's off. I would say literally about a 1min job to get the cover off and have your plate showing if need be
Old 01-16-2015, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Throw the plate on your dash, act like your completely clueless to the law if you get pulled over, tell the cop you'll put the plate on in the proper place when you get home, and the proceed to do the most awesome ***, end of the world, burnout as you're exiting the side of the road, all while blaring some "f**k the police" by Dope. You'll instantly become a legend in your town and you'll hammering more ****** than you know what to do with.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

just put the plate on and deal with it, went through the same crap. its not worth the hassle. i didnt want to put mine on and drill holes in my future $250.00 grille. so i opted for the one summit has, bolts under the bumper with two holes that you drill. $20.00 shipped to my door. i have other reasons why i do not need cops stopping me either. enjoy!
Old 01-16-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been driving without a front license plate in cali for about 5 years now and have never been hassled about it. I've got a buddy that put it on his dash and he has got 2 fix-it tickets for that, and since he took it off the dash and didn't mount it on the front he has not been bothered since. I have figured that generally if a cop sees you don't have a plate on the front of your car they are either driving the other way on the road or are driving and don't feel it to be important enough to turn around or your behind them.... that being said if I see a cop ahead I will usually try to get a car in between us without making it obvious.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Throw the plate on your dash, act like your completely clueless to the law if you get pulled over, tell the cop you'll put the plate on in the proper place when you get home, and the proceed to do the most awesome ***, end of the world, burnout as you're exiting the side of the road, all while blaring some "f**k the police" by Dope. You'll instantly become a legend in your town and you'll hammering more ****** than you know what to do with.
This.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've been living in Dayton, Ohio for 15 years and have had a front plate on for perhaps one year total. I have gotten 2 warnings, but as long as you don't drive like a jerk the cops will probably leave you alone.
What part of Ohio are you moving to?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's my take on this.

If you are driving, no one (including fbody owners) says:
"OMFG , thats a clean car but the plate kills the look of the entire front end!".

On the flip side, I do understand what you mean, you prefer no plate at all.

Here's my suggestion: manual front license plate holder (drills holes under your bumper).
I prefer the manual version because its one less thing to fail that's on the car.

The way it works is you would hide the plate away when you have to see it or take pictures.
Flip the plate back up while driving, generally front plate tickets are written when drivers are in the car.

I haven't ever heard of a situation when someone came back to their car and saw a ticket for no front plate or broken tail light.

This is a good and very cheap compromise.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a similar situation when I moved to Hawaii, but being military I could keep my car registered in Alabama and I'm good with no front plate. If you have a way to have the car registered in another state you should be exempt.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Lower air dam

Old 01-16-2015, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

If all other **** is in order, running no front plate in oh is really no biggie. Most generally no front plate may be a probable cause for a traffic stop, if the ifficer is bored, and its usually only used as a preliminary reason to see if you are intoxicated, suspended, warrants etc. If you are clean you will be given a warning if you are polite, and a ticket if you are an asshat. Mostly depends on location, small villages with eager young police wanting something to do will stop for it, larger areas there is too much else to worry about. Experience speaking.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JDEP162
If all other **** is in order, running no front plate in oh is really no biggie. Most generally no front plate may be a probable cause for a traffic stop, if the ifficer is bored, and its usually only used as a preliminary reason to see if you are intoxicated, suspended, warrants etc. If you are clean you will be given a warning if you are polite, and a ticket if you are an asshat. Mostly depends on location, small villages with eager young police wanting something to do will stop for it, larger areas there is too much else to worry about. Experience speaking.
You can tell the cop you can remove the cover in two seconds to reveal the plate and that should keep ya from a ticket.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
You can tell the cop you can remove the cover in two seconds to reveal the plate and that should keep ya from a ticket.
Very true. The one I'd disagree with is the leave it on the dash, I've had this dozens of times and my argument was always "by placing it there you are demonstraring that you knew it is to be displayed in the front of the vehicle, yet you chose not to do it properly". Still never wrote em unless they wanted to argue over it. Politness, or even not being an asshat, goes a long way.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Colorado is a front plate state also... I'm choosing not to install it, and its currently located under the front passenger seat.

I did get pulled over by a county sheriff in my CJ for having an obstructed plate... My HiLift jack was mounted on the bumper and covered the plate, my thought was it would help protect the plate. But, Its now on the hood, and the beat up plate is visible... so its just an invitation to get pulled over even if your doing nothing else wrong. Its probably best not to give em a reason if... you have other LE issues.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JDEP162
Very true. The one I'd disagree with is the leave it on the dash, I've had this dozens of times and my argument was always "by placing it there you are demonstraring that you knew it is to be displayed in the front of the vehicle, yet you chose not to do it properly". Still never wrote em unless they wanted to argue over it. Politness, or even not being an asshat, goes a long way.
I agree, I'm assuming your a cop then? Last summer I got hassled my one and only time about a front plate. I was polite and he said " I see you take pride in your car but with you not running a front plate your telling me you don't care about the law" I said, my apologies it just looks much nicer with it covered. I then asked if he was going to write a ticket, he said yes. So I asked if I take the cover off right now can I avoid a ticket? He looked a little puzzled and so I said I have a plate under the cover and it will take two seconds to get the cover off. He said go for it and you will be on your way.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with the air damn
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate-image-217046767.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by insidethreat07
Lower air dam

Originally Posted by Y87bird00
I agree with the air damn
Going to have to crawl under there tomorrow and look at mounting that up.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate