Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

fiberglass and painted door panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass and painted door panels

I am converting my interior to ebony in my 2000 firehawk. I have some ebony door panels that are cracked all the way through. I repaired them with epoxy, but the necessary sanding destroyed the texture. The only options are to paint or wrap in vinyl.

I would rather paint... my idea is to sand only the upper portion, lay fiberglass, primer, paint and clear it from my gun. The paint would match the extetior paint color. Only the upper portion will be painted, but the bottom will be untouched. Has anyone ever attempted this? The newer camaros have painted inserts and they look decent, so I figured mine can't look too bad?
Old 04-05-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

They make an interior paint that shrinks when it dries and as result adds texture back to the panel, used it on custom speaker pods to avoid doing what you are discussing.

Not saying gloss would look bad just saying that there is an alternative. If you do a search for custom interiors there was a thread where a guy painted his interior panels gloss black. Its pretty old though so the pics may not work.

I'll see if I can fins the name of that paint I was talking about, it was in a rattle can but I think you had to get it through an auto body supply store
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Be careful what you use. The 4th gen cars use polypropylene plastic which a very low energy plastic and nearly everything has numerous problems long term sticking to it. What may seem like a good bond can easily be broken again with little force. The new Camaros get away with the paint because those inserts are made of polycarbonate plastic with high adhesion properties. On the 4th gens people get away painting stuff like the bezels because they are made from ABS, again with high adhesion properties. Polypropylene is the devil unfortuantely.

If you have any future issues with the crack, 3m makes an adhesive specifically for polypropylene.

My advice for longevity would be to wrap the panels with a matching vinyl and use a commercial grade adhesive like dap landau top and trim. If you choose to paint rought the entire panel and use adhesion promotor and hooe for the best down the road that it sticks.

Quick Reply: fiberglass and painted door panels