Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driver Seat Issues / Lumps in carpet

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Driver Seat Issues / Lumps in carpet

I've been dealing with this ever since I purchased the car but havent had time to rememdy the issue. When I got the car it looked as though someone attempted to replace the carpet because the carpet has virtually no wear for a 16 year old car, however; it is very lumpy and uneven throughout the whole car but most noticeably around the transmission hump in both the front and back seat areas. I am "thinking" that whoever installed it didn't bother cutting it to fit and just threw it in there.

Also even odder is the driver's seat. My drivers seat sits with about 2 inches of gap between the far most right portion of the seat, and the center console, meaning I can stick my hand between the seat and console and go straight to the floor, in other words my seat is sitting too far to the left, infact so far that there's BARELY any clearance between the seat control and the driver side door and I have to open the door to make seat adjustments...

Then there's the seat controls. Pressing the switch forward makes the seat go backward and pressing the switch backward makes it go forward. The controls are inverted but at the same token, my seat does not go all the way back, but going forward the seat itself will hit the steering wheel.

I am almost 90% sure that whoever reinstalled the seat must have put the power seat motor / tracks in backwards which is offsetting everything, but can anyone confirm this? and if this is so - How do I fix this? Does the track unbolt / unscrew from the seat itself?

For the carpet, can I salvage it with an exacto knife? Will I need anything to press it onto the floor board? (especially at the transmission hump.)

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Any ideas?

If not may I atleast have a photo underneath someones powered driver seat so I can compare mine to theres?

Thank you.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

only 4 bolts and 5 minutes to take your seat out and figure it out
Old 05-26-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It does sound like the whole thing was bolted in backwards, although I'm not entirely sure how. Take it out and flip it around. The brackets fit on the floor only one way, but I'll bet the power mechanism is reversed between the lower brackets and the seat bottom itself.

Quick Reply: Driver Seat Issues / Lumps in carpet