Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Professionally detailed vs DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
Doing paint corrections takes lots of time. For example I spent 15 hours give or take correcting my dad's 02 Z28 over the weekend.
How do you like the MT300? Have you used a Rupes? How do they compare? I want a better polisher than my Griots but I'm not sure I want to drop the $$$ on a Rupes since I barely detail anymore.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
How do you like the MT300? Have you used a Rupes? How do they compare? I want a better polisher than my Griots but I'm not sure I want to drop the $$$ on a Rupes since I barely detail anymore.

I haven't used a Rupes. I got the MT300 as an upgrade to the Porter Cable that I was previously using. It is a definite upgrade and has plenty of power. It's lighter than the porter cable and more ergonomic. With the PC my hands would feel the after effects of all the vibration. I don't get that with the MT300. I really like the MT300 and their new thin foam pads.

I think you would like it as it's targeted to be in the range between the lower end DA's and the higher end DA's (Rupes, Flex).

I have a buddy who just got the flex and talks highly of it.

Griots just announced their large throw DA "The BOSS".
Old 06-10-2015, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

I haven't used a Rupes. I got the MT300 as an upgrade to the Porter Cable that I was previously using. It is a definite upgrade and has plenty of power. It's lighter than the porter cable and more ergonomic. With the PC my hands would feel the after effects of all the vibration. I don't get that with the MT300. I really like the MT300 and their new thin foam pads.

I think you would like it as it's targeted to be in the range between the lower end DA's and the higher end DA's (Rupes, Flex).

I have a buddy who just got the flex and talks highly of it.

Griots just announced their large throw DA "The BOSS".
Nice! Thank you for the info, I liked the Rupes a lot and helped cut working time down a lot. My Griots seemed to take a lot of working time on harder paint. Then again I don't have a vast array of pads to try different approaches.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing paint corrections takes lots of time. For example I spent 15 hours give or take correcting my dad's 02 Z28 over the weekend.

Here's the full write up

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Z28-Now-Coated

Ameriarmour Nano Glass Paint Coating
Looking good. I miss my navy blue 1999 Z28, looked exactly like that, same grill, headlights, except it had the 5 spoke chrome wheels.

As for doing a wash in 35-40 minutes, I can do that on my daily driver. That's if it isn't too bad, which it usually isn't since I wash it once-twice a week and keep a good coat of wax on it.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now when it comes to a rinseless wash yeah I can do that in that in under 30 mins.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah my car just sits in the garage and I only drive it on my days off. Its never seen rain or snow. I figure if I bring it to the detail shop once a year to get waxed that should be enough. Not really a big car show guy. I go to Slowhawk dyno day but thats about it..
Old 06-15-2015, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Yeah my car just sits in the garage and I only drive it on my days off. Its never seen rain or snow. I figure if I bring it to the detail shop once a year to get waxed that should be enough. Not really a big car show guy. I go to Slowhawk dyno day but thats about it..
If you ever want to talk shop about detailing or have questions about the correction process let me know. Be happy to contribute or get you the knowledge you need to make a decision or attempt it yourself.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Do you have a car cover? If not, I'd get one. This is the one I have (very inexpensive) and it works great for a vehicle that gets stored in a garage. One of the best investments I've ever made.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...car-cover.html
Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
If you ever want to talk shop about detailing or have questions about the correction process let me know. Be happy to contribute or get you the knowledge you need to make a decision or attempt it yourself.
Sounds good man, thanks.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Do you have a car cover? If not, I'd get one. This is the one I have (very inexpensive) and it works great for a vehicle that gets stored in a garage. One of the best investments I've ever made.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...car-cover.html

I have one somwhere lol
Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my first crack at paint correction this week. 3m paint correction kit and pc 7424xp da polisher. 2hr wash, 3 hr clay and 3hr hood, fenders and rear spoiler. If was my first time , so took a while, really pleased with the results tho. Thought I needed a repaint.

Before

After

Question, what do you guys use for small spots like under the headlights and my air intake scoops?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

You get a 3" PC and smaller pads, tape off any hardline edges and be careful, very careful....

Quick Reply: Professionally detailed vs DIY