Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bubbling paint on roof, I may have a solution.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish that applied to the rest of the body, LIKE THE DOORS. My driver's door has several small bubbles right under the rubber seals for the windows.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what if they won't cover it....what is the next step? or how much would it cost to get it fixed if you have to pay for it? any ideas?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Will the dealerships request that it be done at their bodyshop or can they let you go to your own personal bodyshop, I don't trust ANY dealer bodyshop.....

Overspray, scractes, swirls, etc......they suck.......
Old 09-22-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I had mine done right before the warranty expired (July). I don't even know why I took it to the GM body shop, considering my car was at another place for at least 1 1/2 days and I was NOT told about this. Needless to say I was I didn't know some other company was sending someone over to drive my car across town to do the majority of the work

But for those of you already out of warranty, I am not sure how they handle that.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Launching!

mine has this but i dont trust them to do it so im gonna leave it alone
Old 09-23-2004, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer I took it to didn't have a body shop and they had to drive it across town to the one they use. I tried but they wouldn't let me pick one. I definately didn't want the bubbles nor did I want to pay for it myself so I let them do it their way.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Wow! I did not even know that this was a common problem. I just noticed that my Camaro had this just a few months ago. It only has 6000 miles on it and it is garage kept. This is ridiculous that it bubbles so easily. I hope I can get it fixed.

Anyone know if Lawrance Marshall in Hempstead, Tx will do the job? I am going to call them tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

I Got mine done back in April. The roof looks good but every since they fixed it I have a large air leak around the passenger door window (towards the seal by the new panel). That was from my dealership in Indiana but now I live back here in good ol Bradenton Florida and not sure if I can get that annoying wind noise fixed!

Anyone know how to fix this? It seems to be towards the rear of the pass window towards the top where the glass does not seal against that area.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I should print out the TSB and take it to the Dealership and 'ask' them or 'tell' them to fix it?

Sorry, for some reason, I can't get the link to work for me.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

so if i have a 2001 out of warranty but with an extended warranty and i take this notice to them will they cover this problem because my roof just started doing this.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Teching In

I have a 2000 TA that is pretty much garaged for now. Before when it would be in direct sunlight, you could almost see the bubbles wanting to form. Cool it off and they would go away. The same problem began to occurr in the garage too. Turns out, keeping the spot under a car cover of some sort causes the same problem. Separated the cover to allow it to vent or whatever it does, and problem is gone. FWIW
Old 09-24-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

my bubbles have already formed, popped, and spreaded so do you think i can get a dealership to fix this even tho it is a 2001 out of warranty but i bought an extended warranty through a separate dealer that offered the warranty. Basically I bought the car from a Diamlerchrysler dealership that offered one. Can i get this fixed or not. I would love to roll up to a pontiac dealership and say fix this. Probelmis most dealers are
Old 09-24-2004, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

I too had the roof bubble problem and had it fixed last year.

Here's what I've learned about this issue:
  1. Once the problem has surfaced, it will not go away since there is a chemical reaction between the roof & the glue.
  2. The roof must be replaced to eliminate the problem.
  3. The roof will be replaced at dealer cost if the Camaro is still under warranty, and the work is done at the body shop chosen by the dealer.
  4. Some dealers will repair the roof under 'warranty' for out of warranty cars, and some will not. It's at the dealer's, and GM district Manager's, discretion.
  5. Wind noise is common after roof replacement since the new roofs seldom sit in the exact same location as the originals.

My Camaro was out of warranty. My dealer, the GM district manager, GM customer service and even GM headquarters would not authorize the repair, so I ended up paying for the repair myself.

Here's a link to pic's of the repair.
Roof Repair
Old 09-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Launching!

i am probably far out of warranty with 70000 on mine? probably wont work, especially if it is up to the DEALERSHIP!! they know how to sidestep everything, and being out from under the warranty is just perfect for them!! anyway. if i could get them to replace it, i wonder if i could get them to replace with t-tops? haha, wishful thinking huh?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnS
Roof Repair
So you did NOT have it replaced, ..., , You just had it repaired?

Good chance the bubbles will be back then, ..., Damn, ..., Bummer Dude, ...
Old 09-24-2004, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
So you did NOT have it replaced, ..., , You just had it repaired?

Good chance the bubbles will be back then, ..., Damn, ..., Bummer Dude, ...
The whole plastic roof panel was replaced. The old roof had to be chipped off in pieces.

Old roof panel being removed piece by piece
Old 09-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XuhQshinR
I Got mine done back in April. The roof looks good but every since they fixed it I have a large air leak around the passenger door window (towards the seal by the new panel). That was from my dealership in Indiana but now I live back here in good ol Bradenton Florida and not sure if I can get that annoying wind noise fixed!

Anyone know how to fix this? It seems to be towards the rear of the pass window towards the top where the glass does not seal against that area.
Mr. Goodwrench covers your car for one year after service no matter where you bring it. They won't be happy fixing it but tuff sh-t for them.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

can i ask what the reapir cost you? my firneds car is doing it and out of warrenty and they don't think they are gonna cover it for him.....still waiting(since monday) for a final answer!!

I too had the roof bubble problem and had it fixed last year.

Here's what I've learned about this issue:
  1. Once the problem has surfaced, it will not go away since there is a chemical reaction between the roof & the glue.
  2. The roof must be replaced to eliminate the problem.
  3. The roof will be replaced at dealer cost if the Camaro is still under warranty, and the work is done at the body shop chosen by the dealer.
  4. Some dealers will repair the roof under 'warranty' for out of warranty cars, and some will not. It's at the dealer's, and GM district Manager's, discretion.
  5. Wind noise is common after roof replacement since the new roofs seldom sit in the exact same location as the originals.

My Camaro was out of warranty. My dealer, the GM district manager, GM customer service and even GM headquarters would not authorize the repair, so I ended up paying for the repair myself.

Roof Repair
Old 09-24-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The whole plastic roof panel was replaced. The old roof had to be chipped off in pieces.

Old roof panel being removed piece by piece
Ahh, Yes, now I can see how they tore the old one off, ...
Old 09-25-2004, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Donny O.
can i ask what the reapir cost you? my firneds car is doing it and out of warrenty and they don't think they are gonna cover it for him.....still waiting(since monday) for a final answer!!
The roof panel for the coupe is approx. $600 (mine was around $800 Canadian $), plus one to two days labor. The panel for the T-roof is less. The total cost will depend on what shop you use, their labor rate, and how quickly they can do the job.

Quick Reply: Bubbling paint on roof, I may have a solution.