Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best car cover?

I don't drive my car that often, so it seems that just about every time I want to, it's dusty as hell and looks terrible. I would like to be able to keep the dust off of it, but since it's black I've always been scared to scratch it. Is there any good car covers out there that won't harm my paint? Obviously I would make sure the car is clean before putting a cover on.

People with black cars, let me know what you use if you use one!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

covercraft. Love mine for winter storage
Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In for answers, don't want to thread jack but I'm in need of one myself for outdoor storage this winter. I'll be losing my current garage spot throughout those months. I've heard great things about the Covercraft Noah but I'm open to all options, I want the absolute best one you can get, price is not an issue.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I have no idea about best covers for outdoor storage, but I've been using them for purposes of indoor dust blocking for over 15 years. My personal recommendation is CoverCraft Dustop series, the one I have for my '98 is now 11 years old and has been nothing short of excellent. After ~6 months of storage I can pull it off and find absolutely no visible dust underneath (this was not the case with cheaper ones I had used previously.) It has never left a scratch or mark of any kind, and this is something I would notice as this vehicle is primarily used for show purposes.

Sometime around 2007, CoverCraft updated the material of the Dustop series, I bought one for my Nova in 2008 and it was the new design. This newer version also allows no visible dust to penetrate and has never hurt the finish; as far as I know, this is still the version currently in production.

These covers can be washed, but I've never bothered to. I just use a furniture duster to lightly brush the top side of the cover before removing it from the car. I don't apply pressure, just let it glide along the surface picking up any loose surface dust without forcing it deeper into the cover. If the car is stored in a very dusty environment, you might want to wash the cover periodically.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Miller (11-15-2023)
Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you, RPM. That's the reply I was looking for. I will be buying one of those covers for sure.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a look at this thread. This is the car cover I have, it was cheap, it fits great, and most importantly, it keeps all the dust off the car and doesn't hurt the paint.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...car-cover.html
Old 08-29-2015, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

I have the Covercraft noah car cover on my camaro and the fit is excellent. It is a good quality outdoor car cover.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I recommend doing this first on an outdoor covered car. You can get them on ebay. Remember, outdoor covers will be hit with wind and cause a shimmy action. The plastic wont shimmy therefore keeping your cover from acting like sandpaper to your paint. I have stored outside cars for years and have never had any problems*
Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to bring this back to life, 2+ years, but had a question for 2JAWZ...

What is the plastic cover called? I can't find it.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Matt Miller (11-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Best car cover?