Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLightningGTP
Also curious on if it's enough output. Would love to be able to solid mount the headlight lids and just run these as fogs.
No. Fog Lights can't replace Low Beams.
1.) The Beam Spread/Shape is wrong for a Low Beam. For Low Beam, you want more distance than what a Fog Light can provide and with a brighter center.
2.) Although whiter, these are dimmer than Low Beams
3.) The installed height/position of Fog Lights further sacrifices distance

If you want a drop in solution to the low beams, get the LMC housings and use 9011/9012 bulbs instead of the provided 9005/9006 bulbs. Stick with Halogen, don't put HID in them.

If you are handy and want another step above, try some HID Projectors. Check out the Lighting FAQ for more info.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html

Last edited by VIP1; 03-10-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
yeah i bought a set of used fog light housings for mine when I switched to the TA bumper but took me forever to put them on (like last year i put them back in). I tried to clean them up quite a bit but they look about as rough as yours do. For the price its hard to turn them down really.
Most definitely hard to turn them down for the price and light output. You won't regret it.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
No. Fog Lights can't replace Low Beams.
1.) The Beam Spread/Shape is wrong for a Low Beam. For Low Beam, you want more distance than what a Fog Light can provide and with a brighter center.
2.) Although whiter, these are dimmer than Low Beams
3.) The installed height/position of Fog Lights further sacrifices distance

If you want a drop in solution to the low beams, get the LMC housings and use 9011/9012 bulbs instead of the provided 9005/9006 bulbs. Stick with Halogen, don't put HID in them.

If you are handy and want another step above, try some HID Projectors. Check out the Lighting FAQ for more info.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710357
This car will be driven maybe once a week at night to/from meets. For $55 I'm going to try it, if it's not enough output I'm not out much. Definitely worth it as losing that much weight off the front from getting rid of the factory headlight junk would be huge.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLightningGTP
This car will be driven maybe once a week at night to/from meets. For $55 I'm going to try it, if it's not enough output I'm not out much. Definitely worth it as losing that much weight off the front from getting rid of the factory headlight junk would be huge.
You'd be kidding yourself, but its your car/time/money.

If weight reduction is your aim, there are other/better places to remove more weight.

And if you live in an area with inspections or police that care, you won't pass without headlights and will get tickets.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Looks great! Definitely saving this for later.

What's your low beam set up??
Old 03-12-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CoreyD
Looks great! Definitely saving this for later.

What's your low beam set up??
60mm Hella projectors with Morimoto 5500K bulbs. Light output is unreal vs OEM or LMC replacement housings with HIDs
Old 03-13-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
60mm Hella projectors with Morimoto 5500K bulbs. Light output is unreal vs OEM or LMC replacement housings with HIDs
Looks like it! I've been wanting projectors for my bird for a while now.

Did you buy a kit from BLS? Or did you buy the projectors and a mounting plate separately?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CoreyD
Looks like it! I've been wanting projectors for my bird for a while now.

Did you buy a kit from BLS? Or did you buy the projectors and a mounting plate separately?
Couldn't recommend them enough. They do look a little funny but you can really see them at night anyways. I bought the 60mm Hella's off Amazon for $40ish each and got mounting plates from a member on here, and Morimoto HID kit from TRS. I have under $300 in everything, but if you wanted you could save about $120 off that if you wanted to try a China HID kit
Old 03-14-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have any pics of the output?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Couldn't recommend them enough. They do look a little funny but you can really see them at night anyways. I bought the 60mm Hella's off Amazon for $40ish each and got mounting plates from a member on here, and Morimoto HID kit from TRS. I have under $300 in everything, but if you wanted you could save about $120 off that if you wanted to try a China HID kit
That isn't bad all things considered. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigmah
Have any pics of the output?
I need to start a thread, if anything to sway people from LMC's with HIDs. I have a signature with part of this picture, but I'm not sure if it shows up... It doesn't for me.

If it doesn't here is a picture with Hella 60mm and these fog lights.

Name:  IMG_20160225_192614.jpg
Views: 9204
Size:  114.0 KB
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

I have run several of DDM tuneing's HID kits and never had any issues beyond the occasional one light only coming on. which can be fixed by the relay kit, or just retriggering your headlights if you are lazy.

thats a great shot IR!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have run several of DDM tuneing's HID kits and never had any issues beyond the occasional one light only coming on. which can be fixed by the relay kit, or just retriggering your headlights if you are lazy.

thats a great shot IR!
Thanks! Just a random picture I took after installing the fogs, wish I'd brought an actual camera out there. It's not far from the house, this is the road I was going to test how well the fogs can be used as driving lights when I get some time.

I use to run DDM a long time ago, but their quality and customer care went to crap IMO. I'll never give them another dime and that's fine by me because they were nothing but headaches. Funny part is I always install a relay on any HID's, been doing that since my first $234 set of them waaaaaayyyyy back then. Morimoto is expensive in comparision, but the build quality is top notch, as well as the color temp consistency and performance versus other HID kits. There's a reason for the price and why it's the standard for retrofits.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

^and I thought I was the only one who spent big money on HIDs! haha cant remember the name of the site I went through way back when course they are closed down now....something cqlight or close to it...... when they went under is when I switched to DDM though I never had any issues. though you get what you pay for and I have always believed that. If there is someone doing it cheaper its not always a good thing.

Granted the last set I bought form them was......... bordering 5 years ago I think
Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

^and I thought I was the only one who spent big money on HIDs! haha cant remember the name of the site I went through way back when course they are closed down now....something cqlight or close to it...... when they went under is when I switched to DDM though I never had any issues. though you get what you pay for and I have always believed that. If there is someone doing it cheaper its not always a good thing.

Granted the last set I bought form them was......... bordering 5 years ago I think
I'm not sure why I remember the price of the first set I bought. It's amazing how much they were and how cheap they are now. Reminds me alot like the China light bars everyone has now.

I actually looked it up since I knew the price. On 12/18/05 I bought them (from ebay, seller was fashtek) along with Eurolight housings. I'm not sure who discovered the Eurolights, but I was glad they did so I could put them together. 10yrs later I've learned projectors is the only way to go.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I still dont have projectors in the bird, but I hardly ever drive at night hell the car hasnt moved on a regular basis in 5 or 6 years at this point. There was a company that did a sealed beam conversion for a while.....maybe it was eruolamp/light? it wasnt the LMC housings I know that since the housings werent clear and used a H7 bulb.

I was all kinds of ghetto back then, I was using a set of truck led circle LED lamps I got from superbrightleds as my fogs back then....and it was still a v6.

I need to get off my duff and finish a few things like repinning the harness and tuning again before I get into more little lighting projects........but I cant explain why the lighting projects always seem more rewarding to me.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I need to start a thread, if anything to sway people from LMC's with HIDs. I have a signature with part of this picture, but I'm not sure if it shows up... It doesn't for me.

If it doesn't here is a picture with Hella 60mm and these fog lights.

you probably have the code wrong in the sig thats prob why

but damn yeah do a write up on the headlights I def want to do that!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I added it to where it says "signature picture" under signature settings. I just uploaded it to photobucket and put an IMG link on the text signature. Fingers crossed.

It won't really be a write-up on projectors, more just showing off what they're capable of. I took lots of pictures installing the LMC's but don't know how many I actually took of light output. Installing projectors is simple though, just bolt them to the brackets and put the brackets where the buckets use to be. Then align them properly.

Edit: Nope didn't work. It's proper size 500x145, not sure why I can never get it to work.

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 03-15-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Damn signature
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

put [img] in front and [/img] behind it and then hit "signature preview" to see if it works

like this

/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/InfiniteReality/WS6/Miscellaneous/Signature.jpg[/img/

without the / and / obviously being brackets on the front and end
edit -after doing it... thats WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too big lmao

Quick Reply: Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)