Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate to say it, but I think your fogs are upside down.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Yup. Upside Down.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you mean about the alignment. Like an idiot, I tapped the lights first, then went back and tapped the bracket (which I could probably drill slightly larger) and they're slightly off. I went ahead and screwed my bolts in all the way, knowing that they're cross-threaded but hoping they'd be OK. And for some reason, they're perfectly fine. However, I'm also a perfectionist and not going to just slap something into the car to say I did it. I don't care how long it takes, but when I'm done they're going to be great. Now if I can just stop drilling holes in the limited surface area, I'll be in good shape lol.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, what is the point of the spacer? Not sure I understand it's function here.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Are you shitting me? Didn't we agree that the DOT lettering was on the top? I thought to myself when I turned them on that the pattern looked off, and I knew this was coming. I feel deflated! SON OF A
Old 05-12-2016, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im so mad right now its not even funny. Everything I ended up doing with these I wasn't satisfied enough on how they were placed, I finally got them to fit good and now this? I have a ton of Loctite on those and don't think they are going to budge anytime soon. I wonder how big of a difference it is going to make on the road? I seriously am so frustrated with this!

EDIT: I cant even get these to budge. They arent coming off. How bad will it be driving, will they still work? I havent had it out yet because of rain up here so i cant even tell yet. Looks like I have two options....1. keep them on the way they are or 2. Spend $220 for two new bracket assy. and $75 again for the lights. Im going to go with option 1 for now. Still mad!

BTW...looking at everyones lights that have posted a pic, we all seem to be getting different looking fogs. Brew, yours look different from mine too. I based the wording DOT SAE to be the top because usually the lettering is up top and not on the bottom where it would be upside down.

Last edited by Smokin00WS6; 05-12-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
I know what you mean about the alignment. Like an idiot, I tapped the lights first, then went back and tapped the bracket (which I could probably drill slightly larger) and they're slightly off. I went ahead and screwed my bolts in all the way, knowing that they're cross-threaded but hoping they'd be OK. And for some reason, they're perfectly fine. However, I'm also a perfectionist and not going to just slap something into the car to say I did it. I don't care how long it takes, but when I'm done they're going to be great. Now if I can just stop drilling holes in the limited surface area, I'll be in good shape lol.
That's ok that you tapped the lights first...as long as the holes are perfectly straight on both sides that shouldn't matter. the bracket just needs to be tapped in the exact spot to line up with the lights. DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS ME....make sure the wording on the lenses are on the bottom of the light that says DOT, those are the BOTTOMS. Im sure you just read my mess up! Like you said just take your time....I did but Im still not happy with any of it especially now with them on upside down.

Also, what is the point of the spacer? Not sure I understand it's function here.
the spacers were more for a shorter bolt. Its supposed to sit against the bracket and the light.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to be the bearer of the news. I honestly not sure how bad it'll be. I think it may be counterproductive as the light won't be directly in front of the car as intended. I honestly not sure how bad the glare would be compared to the OEM fogs and headlights. If you can find someone to drive your car and you drive their vehicle, cross paths and see for yourself.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Unfortunately, Upside Down lights are unhelpful to you and are detrimental to other drivers.

Also, it doesn't matter where the DOT wording is located. Different manufacturers can put it in different places. What matters is beam pattern. Before anything any modding/mounting, power them up and check the beam pattern. Since these are fog lights, the top of the beam should be flat across the top and beam should fade down.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you guys tell from this pic if mine are correct? It looks straight across both top and bottom to me. Mine won't be as much of a pain to change, if necessary.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to be the bearer of the news. I honestly not sure how bad it'll be. I think it may be counterproductive as the light won't be directly in front of the car as intended. I honestly not sure how bad the glare would be compared to the OEM fogs and headlights. If you can find someone to drive your car and you drive their vehicle, cross paths and see for yourself.
Yeah its pretty bad I think....I opened the garage door last night and it shoots up way too high. Im going to have to order two new fog light brackets and new lights. What really makes me mad is there was no paperwork or anything at all in the packaging that it came in telling me how they worked where to aim etc, that's what makes me a little mad, I know it my fault but still. I know like VIP said you cant bank on where the DOT writing is, but the way the lights looked to me I just assumed this had to be the way. If you know of somewhere or someone that has fog brackets please tell me because these suckers are expensive.

Originally Posted by VIP1
Unfortunately, Upside Down lights are unhelpful to you and are detrimental to other drivers.

Also, it doesn't matter where the DOT wording is located. Different manufacturers can put it in different places. What matters is beam pattern. Before anything any modding/mounting, power them up and check the beam pattern. Since these are fog lights, the top of the beam should be flat across the top and beam should fade down.
I know...Im just trying to save sanity, there is no way I can drive with these on. You know whats funny, is I did power them up to make sure they worked....and the way I held them under the car I saw the straight across beam pattern but didn't look at the light again to see which side was which. Ive installed 7 pairs of HID lights in GMC trucks for me and some other folks I know and have a ton of experience with installing lights....this one just slipped away from me. Lesson learned I guess.

Can you guys tell from this pic if mine are correct? It looks straight across both top and bottom to me. Mine won't be as much of a pain to change, if necessary.
Brew, from that Pic its hard to tell because of the objects in front of the wall. But it looks ok. Like VIP even said...the pattern should have that nice straight line across the top and the bottoms should be half circles in a way. If it isn't like that then flip them.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that crap is in the way and I'm too close to the wall, too. It's the only pic I snapped while I had them in the car, so I'll have to investigate before moving forward.

Have you considered making your own brackets? It could allow you to use your lights still and not pay for expensive brackets that you'll have to modify anyway. My dad and I are going to work on that this weekend and I hope to have something done soon. He's my guy for fabrication ideas haha.

And I'm with you, these things should show which direction they mount. Looking at it straight on you'd never know there's a difference.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that crap is in the way and I'm too close to the wall, too. It's the only pic I snapped while I had them in the car, so I'll have to investigate before moving forward.

Have you considered making your own brackets? It could allow you to use your lights still and not pay for expensive brackets that you'll have to modify anyway. My dad and I are going to work on that this weekend and I hope to have something done soon. He's my guy for fabrication ideas haha.

And I'm with you, these things should show which direction they mount. Looking at it straight on you'd never know there's a difference.
Yeah definitely make sure before moving forward. I cant even use the lights...they are stuck to the bracket, I torqued the daylights out of it and used Loctite. Im just going to have to drop the money and get two new brackets. I might just throw the stocks back on...im just completely frustrated about this and don't want to spend anymore money on this. Its coming out of my headlight, springs and shocks and suspension budget right now, so Im ticked. LOL.

I wish they would have....user error on my behalf for not double checking.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you guys post the links of where you bought them from if you don't mind?

I just received mine today and plugged them in, they don't power up . At first I hooked one up, no go (I thought one was DOA because China...). Then both, and still nothing.. Glad I checked before hacking them up to mount.

They are also different than pictured, I especially wanted to order a set with longer leads from the lamp instead of the super short ones the OP had in the original post. I ended up getting those exact sames ones (Seemingly), but they don't work! The connectors "fit" but don't exactly fit like factory, I had to bend the prongs a tiny bit but they plug in. Here is the link to the pair I got:

The specs are the same on yours no???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252088188283?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Flip one side of the plug and it should work. That's what I had to do.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flip one side of the plug and it should work. That's what I had to do.
Yup, its opposite of how you think it should get plugged in!

NitroHead,

I got mine off of amazon. Here they are.
Amazon.com: SUNPIE 4.5 Inch 30W Black LED Fog Lights Projector Auxiliary Daymaker Headlight Motorcycle Passing Fog Light Lamps For Harley Davidson Pack of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: SUNPIE 4.5 Inch 30W Black LED Fog Lights Projector Auxiliary Daymaker Headlight Motorcycle Passing Fog Light Lamps For Harley Davidson Pack of 2: Automotive

They also look to be the same specs. The back looks different from a few of us, but I think there are multiple co's making the same type.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you so much gents! Can't wait to get these bad boys on, too bad its raining so I can't go out and test again
Old 05-13-2016, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just found mine were upside down also. Wow, glad I caught that before finishing...sorry you were the Guinea pig on that one Smokin. Mine have no writing at all, either.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

I pulled the stockers out, no wonder the replacement bulb wouldn't fit lol:

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)-tadmnfj.jpg

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)-m9fjyjz.jpg

I threw the new ones in there and will wait until its dark to confirm the beam orientation for now, they look pretty good! (Plastic is still on and they're just sitting in the holes before I start hacking up the OEM brackets).

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)-q9kpnyp.jpg

I'm going to attempt to mount these the same way as you guys (Without tapping the heatsink though) and try to make a bracket so I can use the OEM adjuster. It seems like a huge PITA to adjust if you have to snake your arms inside the bumper to make changes.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
Thank you so much gents! Can't wait to get these bad boys on, too bad its raining so I can't go out and test again
NP

Just found mine were upside down also. Wow, glad I caught that before finishing...sorry you were the Guinea pig on that one Smokin. Mine have no writing at all, either.
Oh man....Thank goodness you didnt have them mounted. Doesnt that stink that there was nothing on these lights and the way they should be mounted. I actually contacted the company i got them from on Amazon and complained about not having paperwork etc. We'll see what they do...i take full responsibility that i mounted them wrong but we will see. I ordered two new brackets off of ebay...got a great deal...2 complete brackets and the works for $100.

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
I pulled the stockers out, no wonder the replacement bulb wouldn't fit lol:

I threw the new ones in there and will wait until its dark to confirm the beam orientation for now, they look pretty good! (Plastic is still on and they're just sitting in the holes before I start hacking up the OEM brackets).

I'm going to attempt to mount these the same way as you guys (Without tapping the heatsink though) and try to make a bracket so I can use the OEM adjuster. It seems like a huge PITA to adjust if you have to snake your arms inside the bumper to make changes.
Wow man, those babies were melted. post some pics up of how you ended up mounting these.

Quick Reply: Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)