Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a whole entire issue with mounting these... I have a intercooler sitting in the front bumper, and actually had to cut back part of the fog light openings to get it to fit. So my lights are going to be pushed forward, closer to the front of the bumper, and I need to figure out how to mount them since there really isn't anything I can attach them to.

As you can see, they will almost sit flush to the front bumper...
Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah you're going to have to have like some weird shaped kind of bracket that mounts to something behind/beside that thing. Yikes.

Also, wait till you guys see what my dad rigged up. I sent him home with one of the lights and brackets last night so he could think about it. This morning he showed me real quick and it's hideous lol. I told him I would post it on here so people could laugh, but nobody will want to reproduce it.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have a whole entire issue with mounting these... I have a intercooler sitting in the front bumper, and actually had to cut back part of the fog light openings to get it to fit. So my lights are going to be pushed forward, closer to the front of the bumper, and I need to figure out how to mount them since there really isn't anything I can attach them to.

Love your car....looks amazing and what a set up. So jealous!!! Yeah you would have to really think of something slick to do....thing is, I love yours without the fogs in because of the intercooler.

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
Yeah you're going to have to have like some weird shaped kind of bracket that mounts to something behind/beside that thing. Yikes.

Also, wait till you guys see what my dad rigged up. I sent him home with one of the lights and brackets last night so he could think about it. This morning he showed me real quick and it's hideous lol. I told him I would post it on here so people could laugh, but nobody will want to reproduce it.
Yes post them up. Just curious to see what they look like!

What do you guys think of these lights btw...I have to order the new set because of the screw up of the old ones. Let me know what you think. Im curious to see what Infinite thinks!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Optix-Auxiliary-Daymaker-Projector-Motorcycles/dp/B01EGRO6FW/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1463510029&sr=1-8&keywords=4.5+Inch+30W+LED+Fog+Lights http://www.amazon.com/Optix-Auxiliary-Daymaker-Projector-Motorcycles/dp/B01EGRO6FW/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1463510029&sr=1-8&keywords=4.5+Inch+30W+LED+Fog+Lights
Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Those look pretty close to what you had before, just a different brand? Just my thoughts, but since you have to order another set you should try and find a set like I used.....if anything, mainly for the additional heatsink for easier mounting. I'll be glad to help look if you'd like.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those are exactly like mine, except mine are black. The cord comes off in the same location and heat sink is the same. Make sure cord is on the bottom for flat cutoff on top
Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

Its your car of course, but X2 on leaving it as is. Having the lights flush will look pretty odd. Gorgeous car

I havent had a chance to finish my brackets but they're coming along well now. I made one boo-boo and somehow drilled one hole a few MM lower on my OEM bracket but thankfully when the bolts are snugged down, the light sits exactly as it should. Hopefully I can finish all the bracketry/ drilling tomorrow and have them ready for paint
Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out this monstrosity. The 2 bolts in the middle of the bracket hold it just fine horizontally. All the rest of this crap is for vertical adjustment/locking in place. My dad is doing this to the other one and I'll install in a day or 2 and be able to adjust vertically on the car if needed.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ummmm... Well that IS unique and took some time to do it. Is it functional and work as intended?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:43 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I may make a simple bracket and have it welded to the intercooler on each side. I have to see how much room I actually have depth wise.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Ummmm... Well that IS unique and took some time to do it. Is it functional and work as intended?
Lol yes, it does exactly what it should. Normally I'd never put something like that on my car, but it's hidden...soooo I guess it's ok, but I'm having a hard time accepting it
Old 05-18-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Those look pretty close to what you had before, just a different brand? Just my thoughts, but since you have to order another set you should try and find a set like I used.....if anything, mainly for the additional heatsink for easier mounting. I'll be glad to help look if you'd like.
Id appreciate that! I think you said you got yours off of ebay right? Yeah the ones I linked are similar but they have the halo running lights which is sort of neat but I don't know if I want that on my TA after thinking about it for a night. But I want to find ones different from the ones I put on. The heatsink in the back was very hard to work with.

Those are exactly like mine, except mine are black. The cord comes off in the same location and heat sink is the same. Make sure cord is on the bottom for flat cutoff on top
Ill remember that. You know, LOL, the cord was on the bottom of mine too
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out this monstrosity. The 2 bolts in the middle of the bracket hold it just fine horizontally. All the rest of this crap is for vertical adjustment/locking in place. My dad is doing this to the other one and I'll install in a day or 2 and be able to adjust vertically on the car if needed.
If it works it works...and its not upside down!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woah, I can see why you're about that

I spent a nice 7 hours working on these today, so far I have about 8-9 hours wrapped up in this project and I'm so close to the finish line

Will test tomorrow and post pics, very happy with the bracket setup so far.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dude this was an awesome idea! I just ordered mine off of an online auction website , $60 shipped. I noticed the ones I ordered are a bit different-looking and are supposed to be a "newer version that is 2x brighter". I doubt that is true (unless they catch on fire, haha), but I'll let you guys know.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
Woah, I can see why you're about that

I spent a nice 7 hours working on these today, so far I have about 8-9 hours wrapped up in this project and I'm so close to the finish line

Will test tomorrow and post pics, very happy with the bracket setup so far.
Lol I should have kept this to myself. Did you do custom brackets or modify factory? I still want custom and to paint them like OP did.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just throwing this idea around, would it be possible to VHT these foglights? Or is it a glass lens?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's definitely plastic on mine, so you'd probably be fine trying.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big_g
Dude this was an awesome idea! I just ordered mine off of an online auction website , $60 shipped. I noticed the ones I ordered are a bit different-looking and are supposed to be a "newer version that is 2x brighter". I doubt that is true (unless they catch on fire, haha), but I'll let you guys know.
Where did you find them at?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Where did you find them at?
eBay. They are shipping from China, so I'm not holding my breath too much on quality and 2x brightness, haha. But the same exact ones were $90 from the US, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most are probably made in China and shipped here anyway. Item location doesn't really mean anything cuz you can set yours to whatever you want. Hope they work and don't take months to arrive!

Quick Reply: Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)